MCA204M Multicoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever run one of these STRIDSBERG units while mobile? I am wondering if there is a cigarette lighter adapter power supply.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm....interesting idea! I would wonder about it picking up vehicle generated noise/hash! It is designed for 12vdc so a cig lighter power supply SHOULD work....I would worry about that moment you start your vehicle and the voltage is often above 14vdc, whether it would handle it.

I think a call to the folks in Shreveport might be in order....but very interested in hearing what they have to say...

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
The thing that worries me is the AC adapter is 12 volt, but only 200mA. I guess I'll shoot Stridsberg an email and ask what they would recommend. The multicoupler works great, I thought it would be a great addition while mobile.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I always make my own 12 volt adapters for all my mobile equipment if it doesn't come with one. I put a fuse that is slightly higher that what the equipment uses to operate. I did the same to my multi coupler since it is 12 volt. Never had a problem. I don't plug mine in until I crank the vehicle just to be safe.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
My Multi Coupler is also the MCA204M. I always check the power usage of the item and match the fuse with that. If you are only using scanners with that then you can hook the Coupler and scanners via a accessory combo adapter without going over the accessory maximum which is 10 amps on most cars. The real Cigarette lighter outlets were 15 amps. My mobile ham radio's use 8.5 amps so I can only hook one each to each outlet and I use a separate antenna for each radio (2 ham radios) so I don't have to use a duplexer. I actually bought my male accessory ends at radio shack down here. Some are still privately owned and still have good stuff but you can get on internet.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I've got 3 accessory outlets. I would use the rear console outlet for the multicoupler, so that would be on it's own. I've got a Trailblazer, so not much usable real estate for mobile scanners. On days when I'm running around searching for new radio traffic, I use my hand helds and HP2. I was out running today and thought it would be nice to try the multicoupler with a single antenna.

Thanks, I'll keep looking into making this work. With the cost of the multicoupler, I want to make sure I do this right and not burn the thing up.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have had one in my current vehicle for 6 years now. I use the cigarette lighter to power the multicoupler and 3 Uniden 996XT scanners. The 4th port is for my 396 or my SDR setup with another 4 port unit, 4 SDRs, and a 12VDC USB hub. Never a power issue.

chris

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a nice setup cg. I would need a chauffer if I had that much in my vehicle so I could play with my radios.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I have had one in my current vehicle for 6 years now. I use the cigarette lighter to power the multicoupler and 3 Uniden 996XT scanners. The 4th port is for my 396 or my SDR setup with another 4 port unit, 4 SDRs, and a 12VDC USB hub. Never a power issue.

chris

Holy cow, 3 996's, what kind of car do you drive? Did you make your own power cord for the multicoupler?

cg

Premium Subscriber
A Uniden power cord will work. The Stridsbergs used to be different but changed quite a while ago to the 5.5mm, 2.1mm plug/jack like the unidens.

chris

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
A Uniden power cord will work. The Stridsbergs used to be different but changed quite a while ago to the 5.5mm, 2.1mm plug/jack like the unidens.

chris

Thanks to all. I did get confirmation yesterday that the Uniden power cord will work. Now I'll get setup for my Friday ride around and try this out.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever end up getting this installed in a vehicle? Any noise issues related to vehicle power?

I went with a passive multicoupler from Stridsberg, the MC202. No power needed. It works pretty well on a short run such as in the car. No noise issues. Not as good as the active unit (with power), but good enough.

My decision to go with the passive unit was influenced by not wanting to constantly reach back and pull the power plug since my power supply is constant.

trp2525

I went with a passive multicoupler from Stridsberg, the MC202. No power needed. It works pretty well on a short run such as in the car. No noise issues. Not as good as the active unit (with power), but good enough.

My decision to go with the passive unit was influenced by not wanting to constantly reach back and pull the power plug since my power supply is constant.

While Stridsberg has an excellent reputation for producing quality products, I believe the MC202 2-port passive multicoupler (Receiver Multicouplers, Passive and Active, HF to VHF/UHF) is highly priced ($75) for what it does. The specs show it to have a 3.5 dB loss at each of the 2 output ports (fairly standard for a 2-way passive splitter) with port-to-port isolation of 25 dB. All 3 connectors on the multicoupler are BNC female (with an option for TNC connectors instead) and the operating frequency range is 10 to 1000 MHz.

You could accomplish the same thing by using a high-quality TV splitter such as the Channel Master CM-3212 2-way splitter (2 Way Digital Splitter (CM3212) | Channel Master) for $6. The specs show the loss to be 3.5 dB at each of the 2 output ports with a 35 dB isolation between outputs. All 3 connectors are F female connectors and the operating frequency range is 5-1002 MHz.

If you decide to use the Channel Master splitter (or equivalent) but want BNC female connector ports instead, you could use F male to BNC female adapters (https://www.firefold.com/bnc-connector-female-f-type-coax) at each port for $0.89 each and then have the same connectors as the Stridsberg MC202 unit. The total price for the splitter and 3 adapters would be less than $10 compared to $75 for the MC202. Of course technically you would be better off terminating your 3 coax ends in F male connectors to avoid the use of adapters but the choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.