• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC-1200 Signaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Does MDC-1200 signaling have to be transmitted from a Motorola radio in order for a Motorola radio to decode it?

Thanks,

RKG

It is not so much that the MDC words have to be transmitted by a Motorola radio, but that they have to be transmitted by some radio that has MDC firmware in it, and MDC is a proprietary format owned by Motorola. Anyone else who wants to include MDC has to obtain Motorola's consent and pay a royalty. A Cimarron C Plus III, for instance, can send MDC commands via any suitable transmitter.

Steveradio

Most of our patrol units are getting Kenwood Mobile radios in them and have the mdc-1200, I have not seen any HT radios yet with the feature but a red transmit light indicates on the mic when MDC-1200 is activated.

Steve

N1GTL

Database Admin
I have programmed TAIT radios which had MDC1200 also.

EncryptionMan

The answer to your question is no. XTS radios for example with the ability to decode MDC ID can decode it for other brands of radios transmitting MDC 1200. Radio consoles (Motorola and non Motorola) can decode MDC 1200 sent by multiple brands of radios.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks.

I saw Kenwood advertising MDC-1200 in their radios. I was curious if they were trying to be sneaky and pass their fleet call or whatever it's called as MDC-1200.

their radios are less expensive, but now I wonder about the quality.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
We have Kenwood TK-790 mobiles in our ambulances and they all have plug-in MDC-1200 aftermarket boards. I can't remember if they are Midian or Cimmaron, but it was an option when ordered. They are set to transmit MDC-1200 on post.

A few things to consider though:
1. Whatever the ID # is on the board is it, period. In order to reprogram the ID number the board transmits, you have to open up the radio. Comapred to Motorola where you can have a different MDC "system" or ID per channel if you want, all controlled from the software.

2. The Kenwoods do not have the capability of decoding the MDC received, so you will hear the annoying "squaaaaawwwwwk instead of the "bleep" and it will also not display the ID number being received. Compared to Motorola, where you can also set call lists so instead of decoding "1234" it will say "TOWN PD CAR 123." The ICOM's however, do have the same features as the Motorola, but we chose the Kenwood because the ICOM's have a quirk when you change the channel, it takes it off SCAN. We monitor both the Town and County, and alot of people forget to hit scan again when they change the channel to talk to one or another.

Personally, I like the Kenwoods over the Motorola because of their ease of programming and I don't like to be limited to 16 channels on scan. Just wish it had the MDC decode capability. The Kenwoods support Fleetsync, both encoding and decoding, but our Town decodes MDC only at the console now. We are trying to get a grant for a Midian decoder at the console that will do both MDC and Fleetsync, and then will eventually switch to Kenwood and use Fleetsync, no MDC board for saved costs. They run over $100 per radio.

dmonty83

I thought I would inject a little life into this thread.

I have my hands on the new programming software for Kenwood 180 series mobiles and portables. They now posses the ability to encode and decode Moto's MDC1200 and also you have the option for data operated squelch. This does require a firmware change for older radios. I am also told that the Kenwood P25 product line also has this capability.

Seems like MDC1200 is more of a standard than Kenwood thought.

David

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
I thought I would inject a little life into this thread.

I have my hands on the new programming software for Kenwood 180 series mobiles and portables. They now posses the ability to encode and decode Moto's MDC1200 and also you have the option for data operated squelch. This does require a firmware change for older radios. I am also told that the Kenwood P25 product line also has this capability.

Seems like MDC1200 is more of a standard than Kenwood thought.

David

I have a TK2180 and 3180 and flashed them with the new firmware. I assume by data operated squelch you can mute the MDC-1200 noise burst??? will that work for post PTT-ID??? where is that in the MDC-1200 options menu?

e911god said:
...A few things to consider though:
1. Whatever the ID # is on the board is it, period. In order to reprogram the ID number the board transmits, you have to open up the radio. Comapred to Motorola where you can have a different MDC "system" or ID per channel if you want, all controlled from the software.

2. The Kenwoods do not have the capability of decoding the MDC received, ....

...The Kenwoods support Fleetsync, both encoding and decoding, but our Town decodes MDC only at the console now. We are trying to get a grant for a Midian decoder at the console that will do both MDC and Fleetsync, and then will eventually switch to Kenwood and use Fleetsync, no MDC board for saved costs. They run over $100 per radio.
Kenwood recently put out a software and firmware update for the TK-x180 series radios that allow them to ENCODE and DECODE MDC-1200. So no more purchasing the extra optional board to go into the radio. So now, you can program the radio for either FleetSync or MDC-1200.

I have a TK2180 and 3180 and flashed them with the new firmware. I assume by data operated squelch you can mute the MDC-1200 noise burst??? will that work for post PTT-ID??? where is that in the MDC-1200 options menu?

It's not in the MDC-1200 options menu. Go to the OPTIONAL FEATURES menu and click the CONVENTIONAL tab. You have to set the MUTE HOLD TIME (ms). And in order to set it to catch the Post-PTT ID, it will have to be set pretty high for those who are long winded.

You can also have a PTT PAUSE TIME which ceases the ID from YOUR radio for a certain amount of seconds from the end of the first transmit period. That you set under COMMON PAGE 3 where you set the PTT ID TYPE. It's pretty cool. I have mine set for 30 sec. And after my first transmit, it won't send a PTT ID for 30 sec.

Last edited:

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Thanks I saw that in there now that you mention it, but wasn't sure what time to set it for. I kinda figured it might be like data operated squelch.

CommJunkie

Kenwood recently put out a software and firmware update for the TK-x180 series radios that allow them to ENCODE and DECODE MDC-1200. So no more purchasing the extra optional board to go into the radio. So now, you can program the radio for either FleetSync or MDC-1200.

If you hear/see one for the NX series radio, please let me know!

Sure is. If you know how to setup the Kenwood TK-x180 series radios before switching to MDC-1200, you can do MDC-2400. Obviously, when Kenwood done the firmware upgrade for MDC-1200 compatibility, they didn't check to see if the FleetSync setting would affect the MDC-1200.

If you are running FleetSync at a Baud Rate of 2400 before selecting the MDC-1200 as signalling type, the MDC-1200 will be upgraded to MDC-2400. Neat eh?:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.