Megahertz TRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason51

I have monitored them with the Uniden 436 and 536. Works very well and Careflite has constant traffic on the Dallas and Ft Worth towers. An aftermarket antenna will make a tremendous improvement in reception of that system also.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have monitored them with the Uniden 436 and 536. Works very well and Careflite has constant traffic on the Dallas and Ft Worth towers. An aftermarket antenna will make a tremendous improvement in reception of that system also.
I'm also monitoring the Megahertz system using the 436HP & 536HP. As Jason noted, CareFlite is quite active

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Listen to them all the time.

8803 - CareFlite Tones
8806 - Scene 3

jasday

Awesome. Thank you guys. Since Denton County switched systems, and it looks like everyone up here will be going to that system, I was looking at replacements to update my 996xt. Was curious how the DMR systems were being heard now that all of the major scanner brands are able to decode those systems now.

n of you guys monitoring the Denton tower? I only see a CC on that tower.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Dumb question everyone....in regards to DMR - Do I simply just purchase the upgrade for my 536 and then import the RR channels? Anything special you have to setup or KNOW for the DMR systems that is unique to other Trunking Systems?

nd5y

One thing you need to know doesn't really have to do with setting up the scanner or DMR.
Many commercial trunked systems either don't appear in the database at all, or in the case of Megahertz are missing sites, frequencies and talkgroups.
Depending on your location if you blindly rely on the database you might be missing a lot.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Dumb question everyone....in regards to DMR - Do I simply just purchase the upgrade for my 536 and then import the RR channels? Anything special you have to setup or KNOW for the DMR systems that is unique to other Trunking Systems?
To add a bit to what Tom, nd5y, said, the database information that is there does not always correctly download to the scanners.

Case in point:
Take a look at this system. Southwest Airlines: Dallas Love Field Trunking System, Dallas, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

In the database, if you go to the site details, Love Field Site Details (Southwest Airlines: Dallas Love Field) , you'll see Color Code 7 listed in the description fields. But below those, in the LCN/LSN information, the Color Code is blank. So, if that system is appended to a Favorites List, the Color Codes come across as "Search" instead of being set to 7. (I submitted a request to correct that, if possible.)

Now, that might not be a deal breaker in some areas, but here in Dallas County, it does not seem to work well. The reason is that all of the system frequencies are also used by one or more (some 3 and up) users in the county. I think that multiple use of the same frequency, by other entities using MotoTRBO, has a negative affect in trying to trunk track this system.

Also, as Tom noted, many of these TRBO systems have not been identified and mapped out. What I have been doing is to enter the frequencies for a given licensee & location as conventional frequies, but set to NAC/Color Code search. I them log activity with ProScan. That tells me if the frequency is used simply as DMR (a straight conventional type mode), or as part of a trunked system. If part of a system, you'll see CAP, CON, or DT3, along with the slot number & TGID used. I suspect that there are a great many more systems in use that what has been documented so far.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Awesome. Thank you guys. Since Denton County switched systems, and it looks like everyone up here will be going to that system, I was looking at replacements to update my 996xt. Was curious how the DMR systems were being heard now that all of the major scanner brands are able to decode those systems now.

n of you guys monitoring the Denton tower? I only see a CC on that tower.
I am monitoring the Denton Phase II system, but due to my distance from it reception is not always good.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry Steve, I meant the Denton Megahertz tower.
My bad, thought you were talking about the P25 system.

I don't have the Denton Tower for Megahertz programmed. That's mainly because of distance. Also, I do not find any licensing data for 454.215 (listed as the 'control' for Megahertz/Denton) in Denton or Dallas County, nor anywhere else in the state.

I do, however, see this for Denton County:
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked License - WPKY902 - Hopper, James T

That's licensed to James Hopper, which, from what I've seen noted, is the owner or one of the movers & shakers for Megahertz. Some of their licenses are under his name, his wife's name, or actually under Megahertz. I'd suggest loading those in a conventional system, and see what comes up. Worth a try, anyway.

nd5y

Last edited:

jasday

Gotcha, thanks Steve and Tom for the info. I'll upgrade my scanner to one of the Unidens as suggested. I liked the idea of the whistlers for the removable face plates. But in that case, I'll go for one of the portables.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I started off a month or so ago doing a service search from 451 to 465 / 480 to 485 and kept notes on the computer if it was DMR or CON,Cap,DT3.
If it was DMR i tried to note TG, TS, CC
if it was trunking i merely kept CC and maybe a TG.
After a month i collected a bunch of frequencys that were trunking.
My next step is to put all the ones with the same CC in a list an monitor and see how many of those share the same name on a license.

If anybody wants a copy of the DMR and or trunking feqs i have collected PM me and ill copy and paste them back in a DM.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone in the DFW area tried to monitor the Megahertz Technology DMR system with one of the whistler or any of the other new scanners with DMR capability? I'm wanting to hear Careflite.

Megahertz Technology Trunking System, Dallas/Fort Worth, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I'm looking to upgrade my scanner, just curious who has real experience with it.

Not sure where the towers are, but I'm about 15mile from center of Denton and 21miles from center of Dallas. Using 536 and RS 800MHz antenna. Captured using Proscan 14.1.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.