Metro taxi

Status
Not open for further replies.

NECW4

I looked up Metro taxi in the database. they come up as (TRANSPORTATION GENERAL). Every freq. i put in the scanner all i get is a data sound. could they be trucked?? If so how can i listen, what's the control freq.? Im looking to listen to the one in West Haven. Thanks guys

If they are trunked, you will need a trunking capable scanner. I am going to look them up and see what I can find. What kind of scanner do you have?

What are their frequencies?

NECW4

Radio shack Pro 160. Evey freq that i found was vhf. and every one i put in i got a data burst. That's why i was thinking mabee trunked?

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Last I knew Metro Taxi was still operating under the taxi frequencies in the VHF-High band. Now remember they are not only in service in New Haven, but also operate in Bridgeport, Hartford and I believe in Waterbury. So check for the licenses in those cities too or just do a search through CT instead of a specific town / city.

Also, taxi companies don't operate with repeaters or simplex. To listen to them you need to have the dispatch and the taxi transmit channels. The drivers cannot hear each other, just the dispatcher for the purpose of "not stealing a fare". Just wanted to pass that on to you.

Also those licensees are not for trucked use, they are conventional frequencies.

UPDATE: - The only frequency I am getting data on is on 152.27 & 159.495. This could be a MDT transmission for them, unsure though if they do that.

Here's the frequencies I found and are they the same that you have?
WNUV448 - 152.315, 157.575

WNJS878 - 152.2625, 152.27 (data), 152.2775, 157.5225, 15753, 157.5375, 159.4950 (data)

Also under another license: 152.42, 152.45, 157.68, 152.71.

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I'll keep looking to incase they are licensed under a different name also. I programmed those in today and listened for a little while but had no traffic on the it seems, except the two data chanels.

if that frequency is licensed to a cab company and you hear something other than voice, probably a buzzing noise i can pretty much make a safe bet 99.9% that they are running a computer in the car for dispatching. the computer console in the cab looks like an oversize taxi meter with a bunch of buttons on it. its also connected to a radio that they can use but usually dont. when they sign on the road they hit a button and the dispatcher is made aware of their being on duty. the calls are received by the dispatcher and put into the computer and dispatched out to the drivers depending on the area they are in and where in line they are for a call. when they pick up/drop off they just hit a button. they can even pass on calls if they dont want to do them. means no paper for trip sheets. i had a chance to learn about it from a yellow cab driver from hartford once. yellow cab out of hartford uses the same thing. its not really a computer just a really fancy looking taxi meter.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
my brother drives for them in new haven, the frequencies are 99.9% data, they rarely every use voice, they keep one voice channel just incase their MDT's go down, but, primary use is mdt's and cell phones

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I beleive it's 152.2700?...i cant remember off hand, but voice is used in the event of radio/cell's fail which is never...the days of voice dispatch are over...i wasnt to interested in taxi's, but...it sucks...just one less thing to listen too...

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Yah, Its been really silent for voice since I put all of them in and started listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.