Mid-Atlantic Digital Radio network - Connect Plus system 141

Voyager

If I missed something, Please update the wiki or post the mistake here and I'll fix it... ;)

Looks like everything is updated now.

UPDATE: There was one thing I saw...

"Site 141-34 Unknown Bellefont/Centre" ---> "Site 141-34 Unknown Bellefonte/Centre" (add the e to Bellefonte)

Last edited:

Voyager

Hello,

It appears in the data format that a frequency has to appear in every repeater slot.

Can you explain that? MADRN has many 'unused/missing' LCNs. Just the site we are talking about most recently (Site 47) has no LCN 3 or 4 (5 or 7 in DSD lingo).

I have seen a default frequency, like 450.0000, and what appears to be a copy, paste, modify from another site.

That would make sense. The reason being exactly what you mentioned. In theory, every LCN could be in the map with a dummy frequency. That's no biggie as long as the controller doesn't assign it and it's not listed as a Control Channel. (and even with control channel, no biggie as long as there is no control channel on that frequency for that system)

That is why you have to be careful with the data in the network map.

The biggest thing to remember about the map is that it's only a guide as to what might be used someday, and not to what is in use.

BUT, it's a great resource to use to find what is actually in use.

The site controller should be setup correctly and these entries are no problem since the site controller will not allocate those LCNs to a talkgroup.

Then there is the other scenario - the LCN being designated a control channel. Regardless of what the controller does, the user radio will look there for system data. In the case if Site 47, it will find some for LCN "8" and it will try to communicate using the LCN 7 frequency. If LCN 8 were assigned as a control channel and programmed with "450.000", it likely would never see system data there.

u2brent

OAMPT
Looks like everything is updated now.

UPDATE: There was one thing I saw...

"Site 141-34 Unknown Bellefont/Centre" ---> "Site 141-34 Unknown Bellefonte/Centre" (add the e to Bellefonte)
Thanks! :giggle:
I fixed the silent "e" :rolleyes:
What a relief!!
I was hoping you'd check!!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you have DSDPlus and can monitor one or more MADRN sites, please consider taking a look at the following link:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/inde...gital_Radio_Network_Site_Neighbor_Information

You can see at a glance (not the prettiest) the site neighbors that we have for each site. We have quite a few online sites with no neighbor list. Neighbor lists can be very helpful in identifying sites for which we do not currently know the location. If you see a date in the neighbor field, that is the most recent date that a neighbor list was updated. If you see # old in the neighbor list, that means it has been a long time since the list is updated.

So if you are able to grab a neighbor list for a site that doesn't currently have a neighbor list, or for a site that hasn't had a neighbor list updated in a while, please consider checking that site if it's within range of you and you have the capability of fetching the site neighbors. Feel free to post any site neighbor updates here or submit them to the DB (but preferably both).

Thanks!

Voyager

Actually, that's exactly what I've been doing for the past couple days - letting the PC analyze the sites I can easily hear.

Here is the current status:

Site 27 - LCNs 1 and 3 active. NL: 26/28/29/32/19
Site 28 - LCNs 1/2/3 active. NL: 26/27/29/32/33
Site 29 - LCNs 1 and 3 active. NL: 19/26/27/28/32 (very low activity site)

Note: LCN/frequency pairs confirmed. IOW, the map was confirmed by in-use monitoring.

Site 28's LCN 3 is relatively new (it was activated recently).

Other sites would require a road trip, but I'm sure there are folks in those areas who have DSD.

Having a control SDR and a voice SDR makes the confirmation very easy - just match the TG active on the
control channel with the voice channel, and you have 1000% confirmation of frequency use and correct LCN info.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Actually, that's exactly what I've been doing for the past couple days - letting the PC analyze the sites I can easily hear.

Here is the current status:

Site 27 - LCNs 1 and 3 active. NL: 26/28/29/32/19
Site 28 - LCNs 1/2/3 active. NL: 26/27/29/32/33
Site 29 - LCNs 1 and 3 active. NL: 19/26/27/28/32 (very low activity site)

Note: LCN/frequency pairs confirmed. IOW, the map was confirmed by in-use monitoring.

Site 28's LCN 3 is relatively new (it was activated recently).

Thanks, Voyager. If you look at the wiki document, you'll see the date on that is current (from the info you gave me within the past few days). I'll check to make sure the DB itself is up to date on those sites.

Voyager

If you ever need anything I can help with, feel free to 'poke' me via email for an update.

I thought I had given you the NLs, but I don't think I confirmed the LCNs as of my last email to you.
As you can see, one became active and changed frequency (which only supports the
belief that the map may or may not be accurate for LCNs that are not online).

I might be able to get another site or two in the coming week or so.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you ever need anything I can help with, feel free to 'poke' me via email for an update.

I thought I had given you the NLs, but I don't think I confirmed the LCNs as of my last email to you.
As you can see, one became active and changed frequency (which only supports the
belief that the map may or may not be accurate for LCNs that are not online).

I might be able to get another site or two in the coming week or so.

Thanks V. I added 463.85 (LCN 3) to Site 28. I'll let Brent update the wiki since he makes it look presentable and I'll fudge it up.

I'll shoot you an email with any questions in the future since you aren't on the forums much.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Site 33 has been confirmed as Ogletown / Pleasantville (Somerset Co right on the Bedford Co line). The person who confirmed it may or may not post here. But I know he'll be reading this, so I'm saying thanks! This is a huge step and figuring some things out with the 454 mhz paging sites over in the Western half of the state.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Road trip to Blue Knob this morning, confirmed sites 31, 34 & 35 on the air. Locations unknown

Attachments

• 141-31.PNG
    141-31.PNG
    192 KB · Views: 21
  • 141-34.PNG
    141-34.PNG
    221.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 141-35.PNG
    141-35.PNG
    191.7 KB · Views: 18

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Site 34 will likely be one of these:

Carrolltown (Cambria) - most likely
Troutville (Clearfield)
Punxutawney (Jefferson)
Reynoldsville (Jefferson)

Scratch that. Based upon site neighbors (which may not be up to date), what I was thinking wouldn't make sense.

35 appears to be around Ickesburg (Juniata) and 34 would appear to be around Carrolltown (Cambria), but there is no way they would be site neighbors of each other if that were the case since there are plenty of sites in between that would be better candidates for site neighbors.

Hmm

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Site 31 seems to be in the area seen in this screenshot with past / present neighbors of:

9 Roxbury / Shippensburg (Franklin)
20 Lewistown (Mifflin)
33 Ebensburg (Cambria)
34 unknown
35 uknown
57 McConnellsburg (Fulton)

Given that Altoona is not listed as a neighbor and has never been listed as a neighbor (nor has listed Site 31 as a neighbor), I'm guessing that 31 is probably farther away from Altoona than it is closer to Altoona.

Site 31.png

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
For Site 34, it is hard to even speculate where it is. It's old neighbor list isn't anything like the new one that Dan just got. And the other sites that in the past have reported Site 34 as a neighbor seem odd too (and may not really list it as a neighbor now -- we just don't know)

Site 34
19 Julian / Black Moshannon (Centre) - Site 34 lists 19 as a neighbor
26 Altoona (Blair) - Site 34 lists 26 as a neighbor
28 Johnstown (Cambria) - Site 34 lists 28 as a neighbor
29 Rochester Mills (Indiana) - Site 34 lists 29 as a neighbor
30 State College (Centre) - lists/listed Site 34 as a neighbor
31 unknown - lists Site 34 as a neighbor
32 Rockton (Clearfield) - Site 34 lists 32 as a neighbor
33 Ogletown / Pleasantville (Somerset) - lists/listed Site 34 as a neighbor
35 unknown - lists site 34 as a neighbor

Site 34.png

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Site 35 lists all of those below as neighbors:

20 Lewistown (Mifflin) - lists/listed Site 35 as a neighbor
30 State College (Centre) - lists/listed Site 35 as a neighbor
31 unknown - lists Site 35 as a neighbor
34 unknown - Site 31 lists this as a neighbor
57 McConnellsburg (Fulton) - lists/listed Site 35 as a neighbor

I'm really speculating the area here. And I'm guessing 35 is closer to the Eastern side than the Western side.Site 35.png

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Site 31 seems to be in the area seen in this screenshot with past / present neighbors of:

9 Roxbury / Shippensburg (Franklin)
20 Lewistown (Mifflin)
33 Ebensburg (Cambria)
34 unknown
35 uknown
57 McConnellsburg (Fulton)

Given that Altoona is not listed as a neighbor and has never been listed as a neighbor (nor has listed Site 31 as a neighbor), I'm guessing that 31 is probably farther away from Altoona than it is closer to Altoona.

View attachment 69682

Of note is this:

old NL: 20, 26, 30, 33, 35
new NL: 20, 33, 34, 35, 57

So clearly the maintainers have made changes to the NL on site 31, and one should be able to presume that the newer list is more accurate. I say should :)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
New License: WRDM315

This license may or may not be associated with MADRN. Like all other licenses on this system, they are licensed to Triangle Comm, Centre Comm, etc. And it's conceivable that Triangle may have licensed this for a client and that it may be a separate trunked site. Or, it could be a new MADRN site.

With all of that said, geographically this would be a perfect fill-in site between the sites in DE and the Lancaster / Delaware Co PA sites.

mike

u2brent

OAMPT
New License: WRDM315

This license may or may not be associated with MADRN. Like all other licenses on this system, they are licensed to Triangle Comm, Centre Comm, etc. And it's conceivable that Triangle may have licensed this for a client and that it may be a separate trunked site. Or, it could be a new MADRN site.

With all of that said, geographically this would be a perfect fill-in site between the sites in DE and the Lancaster / Delaware Co PA sites.

mike
Thanks Mike,
I'll check it out! :geek:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Mike,
I'll check it out! :geek:

They filed a construction requirement update with the FCC that may suggest that this is built out / ready to go online -- or at least sometime soon. They usually don't file these so quickly after a license is granted. I suspect they must really want/need the coverage in this area. And of course, don't forget about the damned 454 paging spectrum.

Mike