• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland 13-892 split-second transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

press1280

Hi all, newbie here working on an old 23 channel SSB rig.

Finding an issue with the transmit function. When I key the mike the meter moves all the way to the right for a split second then goes back to barely above all the way to the left. I had a walkie talkie nearby and would get the initial transmit but nothing more. I did try another mike and got the same result. The relay clicks when the mike is keyed and clicks back when I unkey the mike.

Could this be an issue with the finals or perhaps the relay?

DaveJacobsen

I'm not an expert.
On old CB's,my first thing to replace is electrolytic capacitors. They dry out .
And yes,it could be the finals.
Unless the relay has carbon on the contacts,it sounds like the relay is working; test the connection when you key up...

RFI-EMI-GUY

If this is a synthesized radio, it could be that the transmit PLL/VCO is out of lock. It could be a minor tuning adjustment or a part that is bad. Having a model number would help.

This excellent book can help you troubleshoot.

If the radio is doing that in SSB mode only, it could be a problem in the mike audio. If it happens in AM mode, then a problem with VCO/PLL is where you might start.

press1280

OK so I just played with it some more, seems both SSB modes are working. I had another radio with a meter and my voice came through. On AM mode though, I keyed up and the other radio's meter went up and stayed up, however my voice wouldn't come through at all.
I'm finding other issues with it like the voice floor being extremely low, but then when someone talks it gets super loud. Also, intermittently I would seemingly lose 4 channels at a time, like I'd lose 1-4 temporarily, then later 13-16 temporarily. I'm guessing the channel selector switch may not be making contact?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
When I key the mike the meter moves all the way to the right for a split second then goes back to barely above all the way to the left.

In general, a 23-channel rig would have to be pretty old and many of the components could be out of spec or completely bad. And if you're using SSB, the meter would move only with your voice when using SSB, as there is no carrier.

WB9YBM

Finding an issue with the transmit function. When I key the mike the meter moves all the way to the right for a split second then goes back to barely above all the way to the left. I had a walkie talkie nearby and would get the initial transmit but nothing more. I did try another mike and got the same result. The relay clicks when the mike is keyed and clicks back when I unkey the mike.
Could this be an issue with the finals or perhaps the relay?

Without seeing the schematic, it's hard to tell but one possibility is that the radio has an SWR sensing circuit that's either sensing high SWR because of an antenna problem, or a malfunction in this particular circuit itself. Your relay sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to. If your finals were bad, the meter wouldn't move all the way to the right even for a split second.

press1280

Oddly I tried again the other day and now AM seems to work. Does anyone have SAMS #158? Trying to figure out what all the RVs control. On CB tricks there is an RV 305 listed for AM modulation but I've looked up and down at the schematic (also on CB tricks) and it's not there OR on the radio that I can find.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Contact cleaner for switches. Burnishing tool for relay contacts. Control cleaner for the pots.

As already mentioned, electrolytic caps are going to be dry, most likely.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Contact cleaner for switches. Burnishing tool for relay contacts. Control cleaner for the pots.

Recommendations on those supply items?

CAIG De-Oxit is a new favorite of mine, but I wouldn’t categorize other items I have as being electronics-suited.

Thx

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Recommendations on those supply items?

CAIG De-Oxit is a new favorite of mine, but I wouldn’t categorize other items I have as being electronics-suited.

DigiKey is a good source. They carry a variety of Caig products. I did not see a burnishing tool on there, but some contact cleaner could work. A dollar bill can be used, too.

press1280

Thanks, I will take the advice and replace the caps. I see several large assortments on Amazon that covers all the caps I need for this rig. Are these typically OK or are there certain caps I should avoid?
Also, maybe a dumb question but does "modulation" refer to transmit, receive, or both?

press1280

One other question, how often do crystals go bad?
I have another same unit, and channels 1-4 and 8,12,16,20, and 23 seem to be dead. I looked up and found this corresponds exactly to the 23.330 and 14.947 crystals.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I will take the advice and replace the caps. I see several large assortments on Amazon that covers all the caps I need for this rig. Are these typically OK or are there certain caps I should avoid?
Also, maybe a dumb question but does "modulation" refer to transmit, receive, or both?
Technically, the modulation would be for transmit, and demodulation would be for receive. Most CBers only worry about the transmit side, as that makes their signal "louder" but can be overdone, to the point of distortion.

I have no idea if the caps on Amazon are any good. Do you have a link to the specific option you are considering?

krokus

Premium Subscriber

WB9YBM

Well, it's a possibility I guess...maybe, kinda, sorta...but on the other hand I've got a transceiver built in the mid 1970s that works fine, all original caps (as far as I can tell everything's still within spec). So...did I get lucky? Or is someone running the "Doom and Gloom" scenario up the flagpole further than we need to? (Or a bit of both?) :unsure:

press1280

What would be the tell tale signs the caps are bad (other than visible damage/leakage)?

cmdrwill

AKA bad antenna..... Or antenna that is the wrong frquency 'band'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.