MiniP25RX / Wio Terminal

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it really does come down to that. I want to do what will generate the most interest to start with so that we can keep this going. I am currently out of stock for the P25RX-II due parts shortage, so I need to do something that I can execute somewhat quickly. I could remove the highly selective filter from the front-end of the MicroP25RX and replace it with a slow roll-off 700/800 filter. That would keep the design small, inexpensive and allow 700/800 MHz operation.
My .02 on filtering. My RXII is stellar on Cellular rejection. I have a system using CC lower end of 769MHZ adjacent to lower guard band. 767 burning line of sight in all quadrants and no problem at all. Not a stutter. That is what is known. Nice to see Wio terminal in block diagram.

brndnstffrd

If you could do a quick hand drawing or something to show what you are thinking with the new placements for connectors, etc, I will consider it.
Don't have access to any good CAD anymore, but basically if the attachment for the WIO could be rotated 90% so that instead of the board sticking out more on one side of the WIO, the overhang of the board compared to the WIO would be vertical instead of horizontal. Port location would basically be wherever you needed them to go to fit. My main concern was just to make placing this inside an enclosure aesthetically better instead of having a screen offset to one side.

Like other posters I do support the idea of the smaller cheaper receiver first, and will definitely be picking one up as soon as they are available. I am totally fine with waiting for more feedback on the more premium receiver that will mate to the WIO, since I am sure you would rather make it the absolute best it can be.

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
Don't have access to any good CAD anymore, but basically if the attachment for the WIO could be rotated 90% so that instead of the board sticking out more on one side of the WIO, the overhang of the board compared to the WIO would be vertical instead of horizontal. Port location would basically be wherever you needed them to go to fit. My main concern was just to make placing this inside an enclosure aesthetically better instead of having a screen offset to one side.

Like other posters I do support the idea of the smaller cheaper receiver first, and will definitely be picking one up as soon as they are available. I am totally fine with waiting for more feedback on the more premium receiver that will mate to the WIO, since I am sure you would rather make it the absolute best it can be.
I'm working on a new layout that will allow the Wio to be attached and still keep the receiver small / cheap. I think the new design is more what you are thinking. I'll post a drawing when I have it ready. Maybe tormorrow.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Being “that guy”. Any idea on the price point? Sub $300 (even if $299)?

I know I’m small potatoes, but a shirt pocket sized receiver for my main 7/800 system at home would be awesome. And I’d personally vote against a speaker. Makes for a larger sized device and more current draw for the audio amp.

btt

Banned
Banned
Being “that guy”. Any idea on the price point? Sub $300 (even if $299)?

I know I’m small potatoes, but a shirt pocket sized receiver for my main 7/800 system at home would be awesome. And I’d personally vote against a speaker. Makes for a larger sized device and more current draw for the audio amp.
Yes, shooting for < $299 now.

brndnstffrd

Yes, shooting for < $299 now.
In my opinion, that seems to be the magic number. In many hobbies it seems to be that something over 300 is considered expensive and most likely requires a bit of debate and thinking. In the $200 range, (anything under 300, even if its 299) and it is just considered the cost of participating,

btt

Banned
Banned
In my opinion, that seems to be the magic number. In many hobbies it seems to be that something over 300 is considered expensive and most likely requires a bit of debate and thinking. In the $200 range, (anything under 300, even if its 299) and it is just considered the cost of participating,
I won't be able to get it down to the $200 range like I was hoping in the beginning. Based on the current design, it will be less than $290. That includes the new parts that have been added since the first revision as well as the Wio Terminal adapter.