Missing frequencies. Missing talkgroups.

chris451rr

Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
86
Reaction score
22
Location
iowa
In Iowa there were CAP frequencies listed before and nothing is coming up now. I do contribute some freqs from time to time,
And I hear CAP aircraft on one of the Cap freqs I have here, but nothing is listed any more for Cap Iowa,
granted their activity has been very low but not absent.
Also I was looking in another state Florida for talkgroups related to users moving to the statewide P25 system.There are some early and old talkgroups but very few, and its P25P2 so someone could be hearing it, nothing on here.
Is there some issue with the database? I use Unitrunker. Here in Iowa on the SARA system it's great because they name the channels in some embedded P25 , not so much on the State of Iowa system.
Sara has information fields, giving names on radios and names on talkgroups , extracted from the control channel.
. Any other unitrunker users?
Log that for a week and you get a large percentage of the talkgroups, unit numbers names and all the control data.
Also I have the TRX-1 which accesses this database in a compressed format, and it shows civil air patrol f
Small F following the listing to me means it won't put the frequency in but it has an 'incompatable mode?;
But I am getting a cap freq and its clear P25. Its coming in TG1 Group1. I don't know how long they have had a p25 radio in the aircraft.
RR having some issues? Why not give the frequency anyway.
And there is nothing if I go search Iowa agency cap on here it lists no sub freqs.
What's the Deal? Something broken? So for example Florida has everything moved or moving to the statewide P25 but RR points to the old UHF freqs when I import. I'm going to Florida forum and check that out too. Just wanted to mention somethings not working here either and not sure what it is.
Outfits like CRPD don't even talk on it that much and I always see them driving around with the laptop flipped up.
Mostly texting or apps they seem to use.
 

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 9, 2023
Messages
198
Reaction score
33
In Iowa there were CAP frequencies listed before and nothing is coming up now. I do contribute some freqs from time to time,
And I hear CAP aircraft on one of the Cap freqs I have here, but nothing is listed any more for Cap Iowa,
granted their activity has been very low but not absent.
Also I was looking in another state Florida for talkgroups related to users moving to the statewide P25 system.There are some early and old talkgroups but very few, and its P25P2 so someone could be hearing it, nothing on here.
Is there some issue with the database? I use Unitrunker. Here in Iowa on the SARA system it's great because they name the channels in some embedded P25 , not so much on the State of Iowa system.
Sara has information fields, giving names on radios and names on talkgroups , extracted from the control channel.
. Any other unitrunker users?
Log that for a week and you get a large percentage of the talkgroups, unit numbers names and all the control data.
Also I have the TRX-1 which accesses this database in a compressed format, and it shows civil air patrol f
Small F following the listing to me means it won't put the frequency in but it has an 'incompatable mode?;
But I am getting a cap freq and its clear P25. Its coming in TG1 Group1. I don't know how long they have had a p25 radio in the aircraft.
RR having some issues? Why not give the frequency anyway.
And there is nothing if I go search Iowa agency cap on here it lists no sub freqs.
What's the Deal? Something broken? So for example Florida has everything moved or moving to the statewide P25 but RR points to the old UHF freqs when I import. I'm going to Florida forum and check that out too. Just wanted to mention somethings not working here either and not sure what it is.
Outfits like CRPD don't even talk on it that much and I always see them driving around with the laptop flipped up.
Mostly texting or apps they seem to use.
Interesting. I saw that the CAP subsection is blank for Iowa too. I believe I had to go to the CAP Wiki to find frequencies last time.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,321
Reaction score
4,886
Location
Taxachusetts
In Iowa there were CAP frequencies listed before and nothing is coming up now. I do contribute some freqs from time to time,
And I hear CAP aircraft on one of the Cap freqs I have here, but nothing is listed any more for Cap Iowa,
granted their activity has been very low but not absent.
Also I was looking in another state Florida for talkgroups related to users moving to the statewide P25 system.There are some early and old talkgroups but very few, and its P25P2 so someone could be hearing it, nothing on here.
Is there some issue with the database? I use Unitrunker. Here in Iowa on the SARA system it's great because they name the channels in some embedded P25 , not so much on the State of Iowa system.
Sara has information fields, giving names on radios and names on talkgroups , extracted from the control channel.
. Any other unitrunker users?
Log that for a week and you get a large percentage of the talkgroups, unit numbers names and all the control data.
Also I have the TRX-1 which accesses this database in a compressed format, and it shows civil air patrol f
Small F following the listing to me means it won't put the frequency in but it has an 'incompatable mode?;
But I am getting a cap freq and its clear P25. Its coming in TG1 Group1. I don't know how long they have had a p25 radio in the aircraft.
RR having some issues? Why not give the frequency anyway.
And there is nothing if I go search Iowa agency cap on here it lists no sub freqs.
What's the Deal? Something broken? So for example Florida has everything moved or moving to the statewide P25 but RR points to the old UHF freqs when I import. I'm going to Florida forum and check that out too. Just wanted to mention somethings not working here either and not sure what it is.
Outfits like CRPD don't even talk on it that much and I always see them driving around with the laptop flipped up.
Mostly texting or apps they seem to use.
CAP aka Civil Air Patrol vs Combat Air Patrol has had P25 since they went to the new Narrowband plans around 2008/2009
All repeaters initially were Dual Mode aka Mixed Mode meaning they could use either P25 or Analog and the majority was Analog use.

In the past year or so, HeadCap (CAP HQ) began a push to ALL P25 with the exception of some Analog Simplex, but essentially ALL Repeater use will be (from here forward) entirely P25.

 

chris451rr

Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
86
Reaction score
22
Location
iowa
It was Cap1329 a Cessna 182 and he flew 4 quadrants of the state 8000-9000 feet calling all stations, freq R70, 8/12/26 using Thunderbird call . P25 tg1. Color Code 1 nac 7?? . Picked him up most of the way around Iowa on a gain antenna. Based out of Cedar Rapids. Could not hear the other side but he worked 5 or 6 ground stations on the trip around Iowa. The frequencies near 148.15 and nearby suffer from RF leaks of HDMI signals which are everywhere so those channels get a lot of interference.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,321
Reaction score
4,886
Location
Taxachusetts
It was Cap1329 a Cessna 182 and he flew 4 quadrants of the state 8000-9000 feet calling all stations, freq R70, 8/12/26 using Thunderbird call . P25 tg1. Color Code 1 nac 7?? . Picked him up most of the way around Iowa on a gain antenna. Based out of Cedar Rapids. Could not hear the other side but he worked 5 or 6 ground stations on the trip around Iowa. The frequencies near 148.15 and nearby suffer from RF leaks of HDMI signals which are everywhere so those channels get a lot of interference.
P25 conventional is NAC and TG, altho you don't need TG info for Scanners.

Color Code will not be P25, that is DMR and CAP does not use DMR

If you had R-70 that would be 148.1375 and NAC of 656
the reason you heard it over such a distance, was the Repeater is/was on-board the Aircraft (Tactical Repeater)

Yes, the CAP 148 does get a lot of Cable TV (not HDMI) interference
 

chris451rr

Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
86
Reaction score
22
Location
iowa
The reason I heard it from DSM to ALO to CID was he was at 8000 (125 miles LOS) or 9000 (133 miles) with a good radio and antenna. Add a little tropo to that. I will have to wait til this plane comes up again, my attempts to record the data failed, the only radio I had that could pick it up clearly is an Icom
Listed where?
HFUnderground

on a gain omni run into a DSDPlus1.5 decoder. The only audio was from the plane, nothing but the air-ground voice, and he got 5 stations to respond. One is about 40 miles from here and they did not come in. If it was a p25 repeater air mobile they all have the p25 buzz tail a second or two long and this had none of that and the responses were not repeated. Initial detection was analog so I came to the radio to see what it was.
I used is a 10-12db VHF omni.
Could not detect a repeater on any of the paired freq. Or they are very weak signals or poor antennas. For this setup it typically picks up coast guard about 60 miles out and the VHF trunk system in Wisconsin, repeaters within 45 miles or so.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,321
Reaction score
4,886
Location
Taxachusetts
The reason I heard it from DSM to ALO to CID was he was at 8000 (125 miles LOS) or 9000 (133 miles) with a good radio and antenna. Add a little tropo to that. I will have to wait til this plane comes up again, my attempts to record the data failed, the only radio I had that could pick it up clearly is an Icom

HFUnderground

on a gain omni run into a DSDPlus1.5 decoder. The only audio was from the plane, nothing but the air-ground voice, and he got 5 stations to respond. One is about 40 miles from here and they did not come in. If it was a p25 repeater air mobile they all have the p25 buzz tail a second or two long and this had none of that and the responses were not repeated. Initial detection was analog so I came to the radio to see what it was.
I used is a 10-12db VHF omni.
Could not detect a repeater on any of the paired freq. Or they are very weak signals or poor antennas. For this setup it typically picks up coast guard about 60 miles out and the VHF trunk system in Wisconsin, repeaters within 45 miles or so.
Repeater Tail aka Hang time is adjustable and (In My Monitoring Experience) the tactical/portable/air that CAP uses is short n sweet

Airborne Repeaters are not a common occurence, only for events or training, add the input frequencies to your scan lists as well
 
Top