Mixed Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd119

Can we please have mixed mode on a scanner for agencies that use a mix of Analog and Digital.

jackj

We do! Or at least I do. My old PSR-800 will, when set to Auto, id the modulation and apply the proper decode/demod. Works very well too.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm not clear on the request. All our digital scanners will scan Motorola P16 mixed analog/digital systems.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm going to take a WAG and say he means conventional. As is stands you would have to program the frequency twice (assuming you want to use PL/DPL and NAC).

I have an agency like that and it's annoying.

You can try zero delay but if they respond in the same mode you may resume scanning before the reply. If you have a delay and they respond in the "other" mode you may miss part of the reply.

FlashP

Agreed, there's no reason the scanner can't check both NAC and CTCSS/DCS. Even if it does check one before the other, it will still be fast, and much better than two channels with no delay.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Agreed, there's no reason the scanner can't check both NAC and CTCSS/DCS. Even if it does check one before the other, it will still be fast, and much better than two channels with no delay.

While that would be nice, the downside would be the chance of missing the first part of a transmission while the radio decides whether it's analog or digital.

And slower scan times as the radio would have to check for both a NAC and PL/DPL match on mixed-mode channels.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
One partial "work-around" would be to use zero delay on the system, but use a one or two second hold. With the channel programmed "both ways", one entry analog, with the PL tone or DCS code, and the other entry digital, with NAC code, both modes are covered. Your "delay" is covered by the system hold time, instead of the individual channel delay.

I do much the same thing on Texas DPS where base transmissions are on one frequency, but mobiles are transmitting on an entirely different one. The bases are not often set to "repeater" mode, where both sides of the conversation are heard. In the more rural areas, where mobile repeaters are used, you do hear both on the same frequency, so a delay would work.

sfd119

I'm not clear on the request. All our digital scanners will scan Motorola P16 mixed analog/digital systems.

I have an SO that uses both analog and digital. State agency uses Analog Conventional on the channel and county SO replies on Digital Conventional. All radios have mixed mode so they can hear it.

They'll use the Example Freq of 155.123 PL 110 and 155.123 NAC 731

While that would be nice, the downside would be the chance of missing the first part of a transmission while the radio decides whether it's analog or digital.

And slower scan times as the radio would have to check for both a NAC and PL/DPL match on mixed-mode channels.

I already miss quite a bit as it is. On a mixed mode channel it shouldn't take *too* long figuring it out. If you have a transmission on it, it should check for Analog PL you have set and then Digital PL you have set.

Status
Not open for further replies.