Mobile Setup - 2016 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

I have installed Icom F6061D in my Camry with a UHF Laird antenna B4303 and G8PI magnet mount. The main unit is in the trunk and the control head on the dashboard. Since the car is hybrid, the 12v battery is in the back, that made power connection super easy. The control head is separated by Icom cable OPC-726.

Attachments

• IMG_0635 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0635 - Copy.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,403
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,384
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,444
Last edited:

radio3353

Nice install, clean cable management. But the position of the mic looks odd. Was that temporary just for the picture? How is the remote head secured to the dash for safety in case of an impact?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Cool, thanks for sharing!

I second the question about how the head is secured to the dash - we all know they can become dangerous projectiles in the event of an accident if not bolted in place.

I know it makes some people nervous but I'd also recommend drilling the trunk and mounting the antenna on a proper NMO mount. It would look much cleaner and yield better results for you as well.

Don't take questions or critique as negative - it's just part of what makes RR forums so great here: insight and input from many sources.

ASAD

Nice install, clean cable management. But the position of the mic looks odd. Was that temporary just for the picture? How is the remote head secured to the dash for safety in case of an impact?

Yes I know mic looks odd but that's because of the space limitation and the mic cord being stiff. The radio came with a hanger specifically for the hand mic. That seems to be the best available place for it.

Speaking of remote head, I used heavy duty double sided adhesive tape to secure it to the dashboard. Got it from HomeDepot. The backside and underside both are covered with the tape.

I welcome suggestions.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I do not mean this to sound critical of your install as by appearances it looks good. However, in the event of an accident the adhesive tape will most likely not hold the head and, therefore, it becomes a flying object that can cause injury (even potentially more injury than the accident would otherwise).

I'm not extremely familiar with that car and all it's nooks and crannies, so to speak, but if it were me I'd look at placing the head in the cubby in front of the shifter - this would get it down low and more out of the danger zone (as well as more out of the sun).

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
The caveats of mounting the control head are not only a potentially dangerous issue if/should the airbag deploy, but you need to ditch the magnetic-mounted antenna. At best, get a trunk-lip mount, or have a professional drill-in an NMO mount. Otherwise, I'm sure it suits your purposes and needs, and you've got to work with what you have.

I have owned and leased countless vehicles with permanently-mounted antennas, and NEVER has there been an issue when the car(s) were returned or sold with NMO mounts, or rubber plugs where the antennas were previously installed on my vehicles.

radio3353

I agree with Mark that is why I asked. I see so many mobile installations here with radios or remote heads mounted with tape or Velcro, especially at head level. Very dangerous in the event of an impact. Do it right (bracket with screws into something substantial.) Don't regret it.

IZ3QVB

Hi, nice & neat installation! My question: interference into hybrid cars? the loop of powerline in the trunk dont make a noise? the mic close to the steering is not uncomfortable or create interference while driving? the control head fixed with screws or double tape? are not you afraid that in the heat of summer, the display will ruin or warm? Antenna with magnetic base it's another argument of discussion, a lot of pro n cons, I prefer fixed or glass mount (with big loss I know) because repair scratch cost more o less like cover a little hole...

cmdrwill

I do not see anything wrong with his mag mount on the trunk. Be thankful that the car has a metal trunk lid. So many new cars/suv's have plastic or aluminum.

WD4JKH

I do not see anything wrong with his mag mount on the trunk. Be thankful that the car has a metal trunk lid. So many new cars/suv's have plastic or aluminum.

I agree. If the original poster is happy with his set-up in the way it looks and performs, end of story. Drilling a hole for an antenna is not mandatory.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi, nice & neat installation! My question: interference into hybrid cars? the loop of powerline in the trunk dont make a noise?

If properly installed, there should be no issue with hybrid cars. My wife has a Ford Escape Hybrid. When it was new in 2009 I installed a radio in it. Wired to the 12 volt battery, permanent NMO mount, etc. No issues in 8 years with noise or improper operation.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
A trunk lip NMO mount or drilling a hole would clean up the antenna installation. Control head could be hard mounted to the passenger side front of center console for safety to prevent it from becoming a projectile in an accident. The rest looks good.

ASAD

Hi, nice & neat installation! My question: interference into hybrid cars? the loop of powerline in the trunk dont make a noise? ...

No noise or interference issues. Both analog and digital sound great.

the mic close to the steering is not uncomfortable or create interference while driving?

That was the best available space for mic placement. If I have to transmit while driving, I put the hand mic in the cup holder during pauses.

the control head fixed with screws or double tape? are not you afraid that in the heat of summer, the display will ruin or warm?

I used heavy duty double sided tape but I have to replace it with screws somehow. It's a commercial radio, military standard, I hope it will stand the summer heat.

Antenna with magnetic base it's another argument of discussion, a lot of pro n cons, I prefer fixed or glass mount (with big loss I know) because repair scratch cost more o less like cover a little hole...

I replaced magnet mount with a trunk lip mount. Please see the new pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,202

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Ah one of the reasons I hate mic attached to head. Route to body gives many more options. Yes you have to adapt it, but can avoid steering wheel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.