Mobile Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
What happened to the mobile site? It redirects me to this Tapatalk thing that's confusing as heck. I didn't like Tapatalk many years ago, on the various phone and tablet forums, and it's worse now.

I can't figure out to see only new posts across all forums, post replies or create threads. Is there a help file?

I can't read the full site on the phone, and the full site on the tablet is cranky.

Arrgh...

Frankly, the only problem with the old mobile software is that the "Post..." button keypress wouldn't get eaten, and the browser back button keypress would repost the entry.

Guys, can't you run the mobile site in parallel systems until testing and tweaking is done? Please.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I have tapatalk on my iphone, once you start the app, touch the settings gear in the lower right. Select Tab Behaviour, then chose FOURMS This will make Tapatalk open with a list of fourms, click the RR forum and it will open all the new posts/ posts with new replies..

Can't help with full site

QDP2012

w2xq

Mentor
Gene, thanks for the quick reply. The Android version must be a different interface. There is no settings wheel. Whereas I found a settings menu of sorts, I can't see any reply capability nor the option to see all forums or new posts. QDP, after fiddling with browser settings I can usually make the full site work on the 10" tablet... but I don't care for it. The smartphone is a lost cause.

I admit being an old dog and now have some trouble learning new tricks. On the other hand, I started working with this stuff in 1979, wrote about it, and thought I knew what I was doing. :(

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I know this doesn't help, but the mobile site (Non-tapatalk) works fine on my iPhone 4s.. Can't explain why it wouldn't on Android, since it's such a better OS.. (I'll be getting my Galaxy 5 soon)

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The mobile application is no longer supported by the developer. Unfortunately it was giving us problems by multi-posting the same message (sometimes eight times) and creating an intermittent (i.e., difficult to t-shoot) security vulnerability.

Sorry guys, I know it's change, but there are alternatives out there.

w2xq

Mentor
OK, I understand software goes away from time to time, but us newbies (me) need a bit of help with Tapatalk.

On v4 on Android, on both the Droid Bionic phone and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet, Tapatalk looks and behaves similarly.

I just can't find any way to post or reply to a message.

A Wiki and RR message search fails to show me any clues. The Wiki has no pages on it; the messages on how-to date back to 2012 or so and seem to center on why Tapatalk isn't used on RR. A search on "Tapatalk 2014" didn't filter RR postings to this year.

The Tapatalk site and other sites found with Google don't offer any clue that I recognize as helpful.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
5u8ytehu.jpg

On the iPhone, the reply box is at the bottom of the screen. If you can send a screenshot of your Tapatalk, I'll try and help.. I don't have it on my Note..

No bits were harmed in the posting of this message.

phillydjdan

I'm having the same "File Not Found" issue. That's a shame, because I found the mobile site so much easier to use. I guess I have to use Tapatalk now, and frankly am not thrilled with it.

BillMcE

Another non Tapatalk fan here. It sucks when the old way was better. Makes you feel like we're going backwards instead of progressing.

mrdinks

I love Tapatalk, I visit several sites with the same app. I would rather read the forum this way than through the website.
Take a little time and play with it and you might change your mind

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It sucks when the old way was better.
I guess you missed this post:
The mobile application is no longer supported by the developer. Unfortunately it was giving us problems by multi-posting the same message (sometimes eight times) and creating an intermittent (i.e., difficult to t-shoot) security vulnerability.
It sucks that the old way was un-supported, generating multiple posts, and causing security vulnerabilities.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
What happened to the mobile site? It redirects me to this Tapatalk thing that's confusing as heck. I didn't like Tapatalk many years ago, on the various phone and tablet forums, and it's worse now.

I can't figure out to see only new posts across all forums, post replies or create threads. Is there a help file?

I can't read the full site on the phone, and the full site on the tablet is cranky.

Arrgh...

Frankly, the only problem with the old mobile software is that the "Post..." button keypress wouldn't get eaten, and the browser back button keypress would repost the entry.

Guys, can't you run the mobile site in parallel systems until testing and tweaking is done? Please.

Sorry, but the old "mobile" site has been retired since the software is no longer supported and has been giving us problems with bugs that can't be fixed. Couple that with a few security issues and I've decided to pull the plug in favor of tapatalk as the preferred mobile platform for the forums.

We saw VERY little use of the software anyway, which explains the reason why I didn't make any formal announcement.

Sorry Tom for the inconvenience...

BillMcE

I guess you missed this post:

It sucks that the old way was un-supported, generating multiple posts, and causing security vulnerabilities.

No, I didn't miss it. I guess I'll have to apologize if I came off as being critical - that's certainly not my intention. Obviously it sucks for the admins who have to deal with problems of the old mobile site. I guess I should have prefaced my original statement with, "As an end user, in my own opinion, ..." I simply feel that Tapatalk is a step back from the interface of the old mobile site. Just my own opinion & nothing else. Due respect for the admins & for those who like Tapatalk.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Installed tapatalk on my tablet. The reply is as the bottom much like the ios version.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I am currently reading this forum on a 7" Android tablet using the standard web browser thru my home WiFi network. It reads and acts just the same as when I'm on my desktop. Why even use Tapatalk?

w2xq

Mentor
OK all. Very obtuse Tapatalk controls. Not impressed by the Tapatalk authors, but it is what it is is. In all my writings over 30+ years, I made a point not to assume prior knowledge.

I finally did found the answer to part of using Tapatalk on the tablet for replying to messages. When using Tapatalk for the first time, it appears that you've joined RR when you see and can read the listed messages. Actually, to get a Reply option (the + sign at the bottom of the screen) one has to do a second "Join/Connect" using the flyout menu available at the upper left of the screen. I assume RR cookies will remember the choice to do so.

Still haven't figured out how to create a new message, and the hour is late. Tomorrow or the next day I'll try finding the answer and reload the smartphone to see how things go. But the rolling thunder of the waves rolling up on the Cape May beaches are attracting my attention right now. Great day today. Good to sleep by now. :)

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

kc4jgc

Since I'm away from home most of the week, losing RR mobile forums is a bummer! Returned home today; checked around for a tapatalk app for my Blackberry Curve 8320. Unless I'm missing something, there isn't one. Double bummer!!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Agreed, I used the mobile site, admittedly less since I got Tapatalk on my iPad, a lot. Sadly I have a crapberry and the screen sucks. I generally used the mobile site when the data service sucked on my iPad.

It is too bad, but such is life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Hoping someone will step in with something to fill the void from loss of the mobile site. Tapatalk reviews in the App Store confirm I was right 2 years ago when I tried Tapatalk and removed it soon after trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.