Mobile with RTL2832U embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all

After mesmerizing with RTL2832U based SDR I'm wondering if any company had come with any mobile phone model having RTL2832U chip embedded. this will eliminate OTG cable requirement and will create paradise for scanner buffs.

pl share if anyone come across such mobile/phone

73's

br0adband

I had an idea for a smartphone "scanner" last year where I'd take the bare RTL board (from inside an RTL USB device) and then mount that inside an external battery case for a smartphone (not every model has external battery cases available so I'd have to pick one of them to be a prototype) along with a telescopic whip antenna inside the housing as well. When attached to the smartphone it would use the microUSB connector to power the device and make use of it - obviously the prototype smartphone choice would have to be something that supports OTG aka On-The-Go functionality for USB devices and provide power as well.

Then all that would be needed would be some nice application to make use of it as a "smart scanner" basically but two problems: 1) I haven't had the opportunity to put this kind of experimentation into action and 2) I'm not a programmer or software developer at all to any degree whatsoever so that's a dead stop for me unfortunately.

But I think the possibility does exist to create such a device and I believe it could be pretty damned awesome overall if I could actually construct it. Could make use of something like SDR Touch on Android but go much further than the (still) limited functionality that application offers.

Just something to dream about I suppose. ;)

that was good try br0adband, some phone do have FM receiver builtin i've even use one Chinese made phone with AM & TV receiver but with custom embedded OS, so if some company (may be Chinese) can put little efforts they can easily make such mobile phone, I'm sure there will be many takers for these phones considering UHV/VHF receiving capability. i also wonder active external USB antenna can be built which will enhance reception from smaller antennas.may be i should open startup which make such SDR mobile phones (oops don't steal my startup idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.