Pro-2006: Model # Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
565
Location
Somewhere On Earth
Guys, I cant remember right off the top of my head. The pro-2006 had two versions, one had the dimmer switch and the other had an on / off light switch. Am I correct in saying that the first one was catalog # 20-145 and the latter was 20-145A ? It's been a while since I last dealt with a pro-2006.

Manny
 

flythunderbird

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
988
Reaction score
70
Location
Grid square EM99fh
I have a 20-145, and it has the dimmer switch. I believe that the "non-A" version was the first one. The date code on my unit says April 1990.
 

N1SQB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
565
Location
Somewhere On Earth
Thanks! That's what I thought. I just scored a new-in-the-box Pro-2006 with the "A" after the stock number. I wanted to make sure it was the right one before I made an offer. The seller did not even want to take it out of the box for a picture because it was so tightly packed still. 100% rating so I should be ok. I can add it to my mint Pro-2042 I have. Thanks again.

Manny
 

bob550

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 5, 2005
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
1,445
Location
Albany County, NY
If this is ebay, and your purchase is not as it was listed (for example, used and not new), you can open a case against the seller for resolution.
 

wmbio

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
179
Reaction score
7
Location
Cumberland, Md
There is some confusion regarding the two versions of the PRO-2006.
The original version had a DIMMER control switch that selected either a 47 Ohm resistor (R505) or a 150 Ohm resistor (R504) to be placed in series with the 5 volt power source to the EL panel driver. The EL panel life was poor when the switch was left on the bright setting so in November 1991 the change was made to on/off control of the backlight. The catalog number of the radio changed from 20-145 to 20-145A. R505 was removed to create the OFF setting and R504 was changed to 82 Ohms to create a brightness 1/2 way between the old bright and dim settings. All this information can be found by comparing the service manual to the 1992 service manual addendum.

20-145
R504..150
R505..47

20-145A
R504=82,
R505 is omitted
PS The 20-145A does not loose memory when the 9V battery is removed

enjoy
wmbio
 

N1SQB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
565
Location
Somewhere On Earth
There is some confusion regarding the two versions of the PRO-2006.
The original version had a DIMMER control switch that selected either a 47 Ohm resistor (R505) or a 150 Ohm resistor (R504) to be placed in series with the 5 volt power source to the EL panel driver. The EL panel life was poor when the switch was left on the bright setting so in November 1991 the change was made to on/off control of the backlight. The catalog number of the radio changed from 20-145 to 20-145A. R505 was removed to create the OFF setting and R504 was changed to 82 Ohms to create a brightness 1/2 way between the old bright and dim settings. All this information can be found by comparing the service manual to the 1992 service manual addendum.

20-145
R504..150
R505..47

20-145A
R504=82,
R505 is omitted
PS The 20-145A does not loose memory when the 9V battery is removed

enjoy
wmbio

Excellent post! Confirms what I originally suspected. There is a mod to make the dimmer switch on the older 2006 models work as an on / off switch, but I don't recommend it to anyone other than experienced hackers. I did it once and I don't care to do it again. Bypassing the resistors is nothing, the process of getting to them is a freaking nightmare.

On a lighter note, I contacted the seller. His dad passed away. He was a Pro-2006 fanatic. He had 4 of them. One he used, the other 3 he had stored away not sure why or for what. From the store right to the closet. Unbelievable that in this day and age these babies are still found in brand new condition box and all.


Manny
 

flythunderbird

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
988
Reaction score
70
Location
Grid square EM99fh
On a lighter note, I contacted the seller. His dad passed away. He was a Pro-2006 fanatic. He had 4 of them. One he used, the other 3 he had stored away not sure why or for what. From the store right to the closet. Unbelievable that in this day and age these babies are still found in brand new condition box and all.

In my case, the eBay seller bought eight(!!!!) of them to use as a massive mil-air scanning bank, but he wound up using only four of them with the rest, in their boxes, stacked in a closet. Mine was NIB ... I stole it at $35. :D I want to add several of the Bill Cheek mods to it over this coming winter.
 

N1SQB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
565
Location
Somewhere On Earth
In my case, the eBay seller bought eight(!!!!) of them to use as a massive mil-air scanning bank, but he wound up using only four of them with the rest, in their boxes, stacked in a closet. Mine was NIB ... I stole it at $35. :D I want to add several of the Bill Cheek mods to it over this coming winter.

Absolutely Glen! I plan on doing the same thing. I picked up a 2042 the same way and it sits in my shack scanning Mil-Air. I modified the HELL out my previous 2006s in the past so I am intimately familiar with this model.

Manny
 

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
Messages
2,018
Reaction score
277
Excellent post! Confirms what I originally suspected. There is a mod to make the dimmer switch on the older 2006 models work as an on / off switch, but I don't recommend it to anyone other than experienced hackers. I did it once and I don't care to do it again. Bypassing the resistors is nothing, the process of getting to them is a freaking nightmare.Manny


This thread might look familiar https://forums.radioreference.com/r...06-backlight-still-dim-after-replacement.html
 

N1SQB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
565
Location
Somewhere On Earth
Update:

I received the Pro-2006 today. The radio is in fact the 20-145A and it is in brand new condition as advertised.
It has the smell, the feel, the original manual and antenna still in the original plastic. If the seller's story is correct, I am the first person to fire it up since 1993 when his dad purchased 3 of them. That's 25 years....Talk about history! I'm like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of money. LOL Thanks to all of you who replied to my OP.

Manny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVTxMJBCMA
 
Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
1,696
Location
Fairborn, OH
Congrats! One of the best scanners ever produced. I use mine for milair and local aviation, and I have banks 9-10 programmed with news choppers and remote news station remote broadcast and ENG news teams and it brings them in great. Mine is hotrodded with mods and I love it. Still has it's own place in today's scanning hobby for sure.
JD
kf4anc
 

N1SQB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
565
Location
Somewhere On Earth
Congrats! One of the best scanners ever produced. I use mine for milair and local aviation, and I have banks 9-10 programmed with news choppers and remote news station remote broadcast and ENG news teams and it brings them in great. Mine is hotrodded with mods and I love it. Still has it's own place in today's scanning hobby for sure.
JD
kf4anc

Thanks! Yeah I got really lucky with this one. Once I heard the story behind it and I verified the correct catalog #, I jumped on it. I had to ask because the seller didn’t even want to take it out of the box to photograph it. It’s weird seeing one of these in new condition. I am extremely familiar with these. I had a few here and there that were modded to death almost. None were ever brand new, however. I sold them all and moved on to the newer stuff. It’s been so long that I could not even remember the catalog # differences which is why I had to ask. Now where did I put all those Bill Cheek mod books? Hmmmm...

Manny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top