Moncton ATC strange lights reported

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
There used to be a LiveATC feed that covered Moncton133.950, unfortunately it's been down for awhile now, so we can't pull up the whole converstion from the archives. This appeared to have happened around 0650 UTC (0250 AST). You can make out the callsign of AAL734, but do you remember who reported it first, by the accent it sounds like the controller was initially talking to either KLM622 or NBT30T ?

LIGHTS.jpg

2e0wes

I wish I could, it kind of caught me off guard, it was only when ATC came back and confirmed that there was no military exercise going on that I thought I'd better record this. My recording was 0256 Atlantic time, and the conversation about 3 minutes before this when the ATC controller went finding out what he could

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
If I was going to guess ....

"The α-Monocerotid meteor shower will be active from 15 November to 25 November, producing its peak rate of meteors around 22 November.

Over this period, there will be a chance of seeing α-Monocerotid meteors whenever the shower's radiant point – in the constellation Canis Minor – is above the horizon, with the number of visible meteors increasing the higher the radiant point is in the sky.

Seen from Sydney , the shower will not be visible before around 21:37 each night, when its radiant point rises above your eastern horizon. It will then remain active until dawn breaks around 06:35.

The shower is likely to produce its best displays in the hours around 04:00 AST, when its radiant point is highest in the sky.

At this time, the Earth's rotation turns Sydney to face optimally towards the direction of the incoming meteors, maximising the number that rain vertically downwards, producing short trails close to the radiant point. At other times, there will be fewer meteors burning up over Sydney, and they will tend to enter the atmosphere at an oblique angle, producing long-lived meteors that may traverse a wide area of the sky before completely burning up.

The shower is expected to reach peak activity at around 01:00 AST on 22 November 2023.

α-Monocerotid meteor shower 2023

Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
If I was going to guess ....

"The α-Monocerotid meteor shower will be active from 15 November to 25 November, producing its peak rate of meteors around 22 November.

Over this period, there will be a chance of seeing α-Monocerotid meteors whenever the shower's radiant point – in the constellation Canis Minor – is above the horizon, with the number of visible meteors increasing the higher the radiant point is in the sky.

Seen from Sydney , the shower will not be visible before around 21:37 each night, when its radiant point rises above your eastern horizon. It will then remain active until dawn breaks around 06:35.

The shower is likely to produce its best displays in the hours around 04:00 AST, when its radiant point is highest in the sky.

At this time, the Earth's rotation turns Sydney to face optimally towards the direction of the incoming meteors, maximising the number that rain vertically downwards, producing short trails close to the radiant point. At other times, there will be fewer meteors burning up over Sydney, and they will tend to enter the atmosphere at an oblique angle, producing long-lived meteors that may traverse a wide area of the sky before completely burning up.

The shower is expected to reach peak activity at around 01:00 AST on 22 November 2023.

α-Monocerotid meteor shower 2023

You have to remember that these are professional pilots who are in the air on a very regular basis, many in that specific chunk of airspace having tens of thousands of hours of flight time. I promise you that every single one of them knows what a meteor looks like, and will not report a meteor shower as strange lights to ATC.

These reports happen all the time, particularly here on the west coast where there is also a ton of military activity.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
I promise you that every single one of them knows what a meteor looks like, and will not report a meteor shower as strange lights to ATC.
Hard to say without hearing the whole conversation. Not heard on the tape, did they actually use the words "Strange Lights" ? Hopefully Transport Canada will issue a CADORS report soon and we will get more info. Agree that reports like this are not that uncommon. CTV News

I wonder how hard it would be to get a full copy of the ATC recording from Moncton Center ?

Last edited:

KML6142

There used to be a LiveATC feed that covered Moncton133.950, unfortunately it's been down for awhile now, so we can't pull up the whole converstion from the archives. This appeared to have happened around 0650 UTC (0250 AST). You can make out the callsign of AAL734, but do you remember who reported it first, by the accent it sounds like the controller was initially talking to either KLM622 or NBT30T ?

View attachment 151750
I have heard similar stuff happen on my scanner too pilots reporting lights long as two football fields below and sometimes aircraft reporting the tower. See what he does on radar. I’m in Dallas Fort Worth, Texas.

dmchalmers

Ive heard lots of simular since before the balloon shootdowns, Minn atc one commenting to another about being trailed by an orb near Appleton Wi, another talking abut something he'd never seen before the Size of a 747