Monitoring MHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Current Information on monitoring MHP

OK here it is January 2014, so I figured I will put out the status of Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol communications methods for all you guys n gals so you can best program your scanner or radio monitoring method of choice.

MSWIN:
ALL Primary communications are now carried out on this Motorola ASTRO-25 TRS! As of now, there has been no MHP Phase II TDMA usage, but they do have this capability. Once they do begin to use it, please do log it, and if you can ID the "Narrow" TG's. (State Narrow... etc). Encryption has not been noted on MHP TG's yet, and MBI TG's have not been ID'ed yet.

VHF Low Band:

MHP still retains licenses for all the old 42.XXXX, and 45.XXXX frequencies as emergency backup communications. 45.2200 is still retained as it is still officially an State of Mississippi Law Enforcement Mutual Aid frequency (Statewide Low Band), though seeing rarer and rarer usage as pretty much every LEA in MS has migrated to VHF High Band, UHF, or trunked systems, including MSWIN.

VHF High Band:

MHP also retains their licenses for VHF High Band, including 155.4750 (NLEEC), 155.4900 (Statewide High Band), and 155.7300 (Statewide Car to Car), as well as the VHF Vehicular Repeaters (Not sure if these are active full time anymore since they all have MSWIN Vehicular Repeaters installed now.). Statewide High Band is used to interop with Sheriff's Offices, and Municipal Police Departments using VHF High Band. MHP units also have individual SO, and PD primary dispatch frequencies in counties where they have agreements with those agencies to use them.
For interop with the Natchez Trace National Parkway, units also have the Ranger's Primary at least in analog mode. (I have not been told whether they have them in the new P25 radios yet or not, so if anyone monitoring the NTNP during the hours when encryption is off, and hears an MHP unit talking to the Trace Rangers, please do let me know. ***An audio recording of a snippet of the interaction would also be great if possible.***)

UHF:

MHP's UHF Fixed (Point to Point) system is still licensed, and as far as I know, in standby mode as always for relaying the distant 42.XXXX Towers.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinkfish457

Traveling Through Mississippi

I will be traveling from Slidell to Mobile, passing along the Mississippi coast. I'd like to monitor the Mississippi Highway Patrol. How should I set up my Pro-106. I only need the coast counties.

Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
To hear Troop K, you will need to program in the MSWIN sites for those counties. MHP primary operations are exclusively on the MSWIN now. They do utilize the local systems for interop etc. Low Band is now the last fallback for emergencies.

KE5TLF

They do utilize the local systems for interop etc.
Oh really? Funny, I've NEVER EVER heard MHP on any local system. Unless you mean the local phone system...

Anywho, load Nicholson, Harrison County, Fountainbleau, and Vacleave. Probably a waste to bother with Hancock County given how far north it is, but you could load it too if you like.

Whatever you do don't include anything other than the PRIMARY control channels (they never rotate). Loading all channels could possibly cause some intrusion from the Mobile/Baldwin County 700 MHz sites.

notsonewcomer

Oh really? Funny, I've NEVER EVER heard MHP on any local system. Unless you mean the local phone system...

That may be Troop K's thing, and that's cool. Troop F used to wear out statewide lowband all day, every day talking between county SO's and New Albany while Troop E never used it at all, almost discouraging it. Troop D used it occasionally. It all depends on the culture of the district which I assure you is much different district to district than you might imagine.

Of course that was all prior to MSWIN that radically changed everything. My point being the districts are a lot different in the way they communicate at times. It's like nine little bubbles and they have their own culture among themselves.

N5ZDV

VHF Low Band:

MHP still retains licenses for all the old 42.XXXX, and 45.XXXX frequencies as emergency backup communications. 45.2200 is still retained as it is still officially an State of Mississippi Law Enforcement Mutual Aid frequency (Statewide Low Band), though seeing rarer and rarer usage as pretty much every LEA in MS has migrated to VHF High Band, UHF, or trunked systems, including MSWIN.

VHF High Band:

MHP also retains their licenses for VHF High Band, including 155.4750 (NLEEC), 155.4900 (Statewide High Band), and 155.7300 (Statewide Car to Car), as well as the VHF Vehicular Repeaters (Not sure if these are active full time anymore since they all have MSWIN Vehicular Repeaters installed now.). Statewide High Band is used to interop with Sheriff's Offices, and Municipal Police Departments using VHF High Band. MHP units also have individual SO, and PD primary dispatch frequencies in counties where they have agreements with those agencies to use them.
For interop with the Natchez Trace National Parkway, units also have the Ranger's Primary at least in analog mode. (I have not been told whether they have them in the new P25 radios yet or not, so if anyone monitoring the NTNP during the hours when encryption is off, and hears an MHP unit talking to the Trace Rangers, please do let me know. ***An audio recording of a snippet of the interaction would also be great if possible.***)

UHF:

MHP's UHF Fixed (Point to Point) system is still licensed, and as far as I know, in standby mode as always for relaying the distant 42.XXXX Towers.

Just FYI, MHP does not have any radios other than the MSWIN up and running now in the
radio room in Hattiesburg. No VHF or UHF in operation. Not sure about the other 8 Districts though,
but I'm pretty sure it's all just MSWIN now, so no need to waste time listening on them.

rloveberry190

Premium Subscriber
you have to get a homepatrol scanner are a whister dmr scanner are a bearcat 999digital

Status
Not open for further replies.