Monitoring SDS200 over LAN

NCFire11

I have my SDS200 plugged into a switch, and it's recognized on my router. What I want to do is monitor it from my laptop downstairs. Are there any free ways to do this?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
You can use VLC to listen for free, but not control it:
  1. Media > Open Network Stream
  2. rtsp://192.168.1.5/au:scanner.au
Change "192.1 68.1.5" to the IP of the scanner. I recommend assigning either a DHCP reservation or a static IP on the scanner so it doesn't move around on you.

Last edited:

NCFire11

Haha I understand the benefits of proscan. I used the trial and was impressed. I just don't monitor much and don't need to control it.

AA4BK

The bug with the scanner not realizing the RTSP connection has gone away, so it never drops it internally and resets to accept any future RTSP connections without resetting the scanner, is annoying though. I hope @JoeBearcat has that on The List.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The bug with the scanner not realizing the RTSP connection has gone away, so it never drops it internally and resets to accept any future RTSP connections without resetting the scanner, is annoying though. I hope @JoeBearcat has that on The List.
Does that happen when VLC is running or when VLC shuts down? VLC should be sending a keep-alive packet about every 20 seconds and a TEARDOWN command when VLC shuts down. My ProScan and free RadioFeed detects the condition and can recover the audio by sending a MSM,1 command provided the scanner Ethernet/LAN is communicating.

AA4BK

Does that happen when VLC is running or when VLC shuts down? VLC should be sending a keep-alive packet about every 20 seconds and a TEARDOWN command when VLC shuts down. My ProScan and free RadioFeed detects the condition and can recover the audio by sending a MSM,1 command provided the scanner Ethernet/LAN is communicating.

When I've seen it, I've had VLC up for a while on a tablet and the audio stream has stopped for some unknown reason. The network has been up the whole time, no problems other than if the VLC stops (and it can go a very long time before it does usually), it won't recover. I can exit the VLC process on the tablet and restart it, but that won't help. I haven't tried to enter anything in the command interface on the LAN port to reset it. I should try that. I might also set up a sniffer and watch the Ethernet traffic on the RTSP port to see what's going on there as well.

But to answer your question, it happens when VLC is up and VLC is still running, but the audio just stops and can't be restarted without restarting the SDS unit. I might be better off if I can use ProScan as a proxy for this anyway though, I should look into that. Because if your software, on the server side, is multi-threaded so it can accept multiple concurrent connections, that would probably solve the whole problem.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
When I've seen it, I've had VLC up for a while on a tablet and the audio stream has stopped for some unknown reason. The network has been up the whole time, no problems other than if the VLC stops (and it can go a very long time before it does usually), it won't recover. I can exit the VLC process on the tablet an restart it, and that won't help. I haven't tried to enter anything in the command interface on the LAN port to reset it, I should try that. I might also set up a sniffer and watch the Ethernet traffic on the RTSP port to see what's going on there as well.

But to answer your question, it happens when VLC is up and VLC is still running, but the audio just stops and can't be restarted without restarting the SDS unit. I might be better off if I can use ProScan as a proxy for this anyway though, I should look into that. Because if your software, on the server side, is multi-threaded so it can accept multiple concurrent connections, that would probably solve the whole problem.
Also the RTSP protocol doesn't permit 2 or more connections at the same time to the same scanner. So if using VLC then don't use ProScan/RadioFeed at the same time or visa versa Throwing that out there just in case. Also don't use AVG antivirus software, if you are, as that program will interrupt the TCP packets.
For another test, you may want to try my free RadioFeed and see what happens. I believe the Ethernet connection to the scanner is rock solid. RadioFeed and ProScan both send a RTSP keep-alive packet every 20 seconds.

AA4BK

Maybe I'll give RadioFeed a shot and see how that goes. I didn't know that about RTSP; thanks for that info! I still need to get the remote control/remote listening features of ProScan figured out, that would actually be best (I actually bought multiple ProScan licenses so I'm all set there, just need to figure out the remote scanning/listening things--I seem to have some problem getting my audio connection to work so far when I try it). But knowing what you said about RTSP only allowing one connection because of the protocol spec is very helpful and I can now understand some of the problems I've likely been running into, so that'll help me sort this out I think.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Maybe I'll give RadioFeed a shot and see how that goes. I didn't know that about RTSP; thanks for that info! I still need to get the remote control/remote listening features of ProScan figured out, that would actually be best (I actually bought multiple ProScan licenses so I'm all set there, just need to figure out the remote scanning/listening things--I seem to have some problem getting my audio connection to work so far when I try it). But knowing what you said about RTSP only allowing one connection because of the protocol spec is very helpful and I can now understand some of the problems I've likely been running into, so that'll help me sort this out I think.
I wasn't aware of the multiple licenses purchased so I would use ProScan.
See these documents. written by RadioReference member NYRHKY94. They are written for the BCD536HP but the Web Server and RSOIP setup is the same.
Uniden BCD536HP Wi-Fi Stream and Remote Access Via Proscan Web Server
Uniden BCD536HP Wi-Fi Stream and Remote Access Via Proscan RSOIP

AA4BK

I wasn't aware of the multiple licenses purchased so I would use ProScan.
See these documents. written by RadioReference member NYRHKY94. They are written for the BCD536HP but the Web Server and RSOIP setup is the same.
Uniden BCD536HP Wi-Fi Stream and Remote Access Via Proscan Web Server
Uniden BCD536HP Wi-Fi Stream and Remote Access Via Proscan RSOIP

Thank you! I'll do some reading and see what I can figure out from those. Thanks for the terrific software and support you always provide everyone, by the way!