Montana Statewide Interoperable Public Safety Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Montana's Forum was a busy as Colorado's or Michigan's, Only less than a handfull of users per Montana's "big" cities. Enjoy the conventional radio traffic while you can.

Montana is one of the less populated states. People enjoy staying to themselves. Good old boys, such as myself am from Montana. We like to keep reserved. :)

Missoula County Radio

Hi all, I don't know if I can expect a reply soon as this is not a super frequented thread, Last year at a different house I was able to pickup most of the sherriff and police and medical transmissions in missoula, I just plugged my scanner in again and can't seem to pick anything up. I'm wondering if this is because Missoula's Frequencies changed or are trunked now, maybe my new house is a dead zone, or if my scanner is malfunctioning. We still should be able to pickup these signals right? I havent been able to find any info on it.

EP204

Bozeman

I may be moving to Bozeman and was wondering are they on the P25 system, or do they still use VHF? Also is the information in the DB up to date?
Thanks.

Helitac

Premium Subscriber
Missoula Frequencies

Posted a response regarding active Missoula frequencies in The RadioReference.com Forums > Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Montana Radio Discussion Forum Missoula County Radio where the original questions was asked. This thread is reserved for the statewide system.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Bozeman is still conventional VHF. On 2.10.11. I spotted 2 pickup trucks w/Colorado plates leaving the "in city" watertower site. One of the trucks had a snowmobile/atv in tow. Maybe online this summer or later??

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi guys,
Us neighbors to the north of you in Alberta just pulled the trigger on a 700MHz P25 system. Construction begins as soon as the builder (Harris) can get staff out to work on it. We are having some discussions on whether or not trunking in the mountains - on 700 or VHF or at all - will work. There's some indication that MT's system (does it have a snappy acronym or what do you call it?) has some deployments in mountainous areas that work just fine. Anyone got any input on this?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jay, I live up in Whitefish MT for about 3 months out of the year. So far, my observations show that the system is primarily deployed in locations where population centers are. However, even in Flathead County there are numerous areas where the many locally deployed sites are not able to cover. Much of the terrain is quite mountainous and simply impossible to cover without a tower location on every mountain overlooking every valley and gulch.

I would say this. Probably the best deployed radio system in Montana is BNSF's system. :)

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Let me guess???? June-July-Aug. Those are such fine months in SA. Or almost anywhere in TX for that matter.

bdar15

I wish Montana's Forum was a busy as Colorado's or Michigan's, Only less than a handfull of users per Montana's "big" cities. Enjoy the conventional radio traffic while you can.

I just started a live audio feed for Bozeman PD dispatch. You're right enjoy it while you can. Most departments have the new radios installed. I know Bozeman does and the SO dept. It's only a matter of time before they throw the switch.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Logged tg 71 labeled Havre on my 396 in Bozeman at 3:16pm 3/17/11 for a .10 sec. Sorry didn't have the recorder on. It's not listed in the database, just FYI

EP204

Doing some research, could someone please explain the set up of the state wide system, I think I get it but am not sure.

Akuter did you get my PM?

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Dangg, I forget about PM's. bdar15 seams to have better inside info than I. MSU is still conventional, and they do use the main 155.45 during events inside the fieldhouse. I haven't heard anything on the P25 freq's listed here in the database.
I'm not sure on the complete setup of the statewide system but I copyed Helena's PD tg just before entering Great Falls from the west side in late Jan. so Im guessing areas do have good range.
Using a BC15Xt for analog stuff, and a 396T for the digital side. Using ProScan and Freescan, but no live links as I'm in a deep valley on the east side of town in a lower apartment. Even the SO has trouble getting on the North ch. over by my place. Keep the questions coming.

EP204

Ok, thanks very much.
I guess a digital scanner will be a must.
Out in NC I have been able to get away without a digital scanner, but it looks like I will finally have to spend the $$$.
I will ask when I have another question.
Thanks again, akuter and bdar15.

Last edited:

batwingtech

Hi all, I don't know if I can expect a reply soon as this is not a super frequented thread, Last year at a different house I was able to pickup most of the sherriff and police and medical transmissions in missoula, I just plugged my scanner in again and can't seem to pick anything up. I'm wondering if this is because Missoula's Frequencies changed or are trunked now, maybe my new house is a dead zone, or if my scanner is malfunctioning. We still should be able to pickup these signals right? I havent been able to find any info on it.

Missoula uses a hybrid simulcast system.

batwingtech

Bozeman is still conventional VHF. On 2.10.11. I spotted 2 pickup trucks w/Colorado plates leaving the "in city" watertower site. One of the trucks had a snowmobile/atv in tow. Maybe online this summer or later??

Those were cellular techs... Bozeman uses a local shop for it's radio work.

batwingtech

Hi guys,
Us neighbors to the north of you in Alberta just pulled the trigger on a 700MHz P25 system. Construction begins as soon as the builder (Harris) can get staff out to work on it. We are having some discussions on whether or not trunking in the mountains - on 700 or VHF or at all - will work. There's some indication that MT's system (does it have a snappy acronym or what do you call it?) has some deployments in mountainous areas that work just fine. Anyone got any input on this?

Our VHF system works fairly well in Lewis and Clark County, however there are challenges in the mountains. It's all about where your sites are located, ERP, and educating the users on how to scan for new sites when they need to. We still have some hard to cover area's with the 9 sites that cover our county, but I can say it's a thousand times better than what was here before the P25 system.

Helitac

Premium Subscriber
Montana Interoperability Shut Down

Facing a lack of widespread support from local jurisdictions and difficulty in raising adequate funding for maintenance, management, and administration, the Interoperability Montana Project Directors (IMPD) voted Tuesday, April 12, 2011 to dissolve the current IM structure and Association. As part of this action, the IMPD voted to accept five recommendations made by the IM Executive Committee.

The IM Executive Committee met several times and presented five recommendations to the Directors based on the current political and financial situation. These were to:

1.Dissolve the IM Association by June 30, 2011.

2.Transfer coordination of short-term maintenance of the statewide communications system to the Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s Office.

3.Have the IM Executive Director examine the FY2011 budget to identify funding that could be used to dissolve the Association and/or finance the transition of the project to another entity.

4.Have the IM Executive Director meet with the Governor’s Office and Montana DES to identify issues and possible solutions as the Association dissolves and transitions to another association or state agency;

5.Have the IM Executive Director send a letter informing the Governor’s Office, the Attorney General’s Office, the Montana Association of Counties (MACo), the Montana Sheriff’s and Peace Officers Association (MSPOA) and the Montana Association of Chiefs of Police (MACOP) of the Board’s actions.

Key to this decision was the current operational budget shortfall, which is projected to increase over the next two years. A consistent revenue source outside of grant dollars and one-time appropriations does not exist. In addition, Mike McGinley, Beaverhead County Commissioner and MACo Information Technology/ Telecommunications Committee Co-Chair, and IM Executive Director Kevin Bruski reported on IM survey results received from counties and state agencies. These results, although mixed, showed a lack of confidence in the current IM Board and project direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.