Montclair pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Back on P25 Trunked?

So they switched back to their P25 system. So noted in the DB. Fire Ch 2 also now lists in the description. (Back up for Police Dispatch). If they switch back and forth its covered:cool:!
 

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
Hey Ken are you doing the DB updates? One minor correction should probably be made for the fundamentalists out there; the MTC system is actually a type II system, not P25. EMS and PD are P25 voice modulated but the DPW and parking authority talkgroups are analog.

Contractors from Pinnacle were up at the tower today working.
 

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
And backup is one word. :) In this context, and with the rate of failure with their radios, "back up" is very confusing.

don't hate the playa, hate the game!
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Montclair fine tuning the data

Hey Ken are you doing the DB updates? One minor correction should probably be made for the fundamentalists out there; the MTC system is actually a type II system, not P25. EMS and PD are P25 voice modulated but the DPW and parking authority talkgroups are analog.

Contractors from Pinnacle were up at the tower today working.

Biodtl1997,

OK, corrected to backup - one word.

Here is the info taken from the DB, what needs to be changed?

System Name:Montclair Township
Location:Montclair, NJ County:Essex
System Type:Motorola Type II Smartnet
System Voice:Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface

Some talk-groups are marked D digital, some A analog and some are blank ? -need info then.

Montclair Township Fire/EMS Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif


DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
33616 835 D Fire/EMS Dsp Dispatch Fire Dispatch
32880 807 D MVAU EMS Montclair Volunteer Ambulance Unit (MVAU) EMS Dispatch

Montclair Township Police Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif


DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag DescriptionTag
32816 803 D PD Dispatch Dispatch Law Dispatch
32848 805 D PD Disp 2 Disptach 2 Law Dispatch

Montclair Township Services Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif


DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
1616 065 A Public Works Public Works
1872 075 A Parks Public Works
33008 80f A Parking Enforcement Law Talk

Unknown Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif


DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
32912 809 ? Major Events Law Tac
32976 80d D Police? Law Talk
33040 811 E Detective Bureau? Law Tac
33328 823 ? Police? Law Talk
33360 825 D Police? Law Talk

So any help to clear things up would be appreciated. If you do not want to tie up this thread, please PM me or send in a submission. OK?

Thanks:D!
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/7.0.31647/28.2555; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Last night I heard the PD still operating on FD 2. So I don't know if they are switching back and forth from the TRS.
 

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
there were on FD2 again until after midnight when the repeater had another stroke and keyed up with a deadly buzz for at least 2 min. You could hear the units trying to talk over the noise, then it stopped and they switched BACK over to the TRS. I think it's time to start from scratch, which is hopefully what is being discussed.

And Ken, you're good, DB's good. I just read P25 system, and just was correcting that it is not in fact a P25 "syetem" but a tII with digital voice.
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/7.0.31647/28.2555; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Last night I heard the PD still operating on FD 2. So I don't know if they are switching back and forth from the TRS.

I have been monitoring also. Yes they have been switching back and forth. However, when I have monitored, they have been using FD 2 only very briefly before switching back.
Best bet is to monitor both.:cool:
 

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
Anyone slap this system into unitrunker? I've got a couple questions:

Disclaimer: I am a unitrunker NEWB. If I'm just an A$$ that didn't do my due research before asking these questions, shame on me.

Firstly, unitrunker is reporting that there are 9 channels in the system, however only 5 are in the DB, and I have never missed anything with these 5 channels programmed only as conventional scan. LCNs are as follows:

262
274
286
320
642
644
654
666
700

Also, I'm finding a whole bunch of target IDs other than talkgroups that are listed in the RR DB, although it seems that I am hearing all of the traffic while listening in parallel. It seems that a lot of these IDs are radio IDs, but the transmission is broadcasted on the talkgroup, so why the specific radio ID OR another ID that is other than the actual talkgroup that they are transmitting on?

Here are the target IDs:

32816 (known PD dispatch TG)
32880 (known MVAU TG)

32819
32841
32830
65536
32933
32973
32958
32937
32869
21811
32935
32840

Thanks for reading :)

They're back on the TRS for now, btw.
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
65536 is fake ID for reporting CW ID.

As for the extra channels, check the hit counts. They may have channels held in reserve only used when the system is busy.
 

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
Thanks -- 65536 makes sense.

Hit counts on all channels are pretty significant, and across the board regardless of time of day or activity level.

I wonder if these 4 channels are VHF, used by their portables/VRS somehow...

262
274
286
320

This is the bandplan according to the DB so the above lower channels or "offsets" make me suspicious.


Base Spacing Offset
500.00000 12.5 380
506.00000 12.5 570
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
I have been listening to Montclair PD on the Montclair TRS, and I noticed every once in a while there is what sounds like a grinding noise when they transmit. It only happens occasionally. Is this encryption that they presumably turn on and off as needed?
 

Markscan

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 9, 2004
Messages
757
Reaction score
250
Location
New Jersey
I think they are still simulcasting so that may be what that is. They have not used much encryption so far.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
Has anyone ever heard any activity on the 700MHz TAC frequency listed in the DB? I dont think I've heard anything on it since I programmed it in over a year ago. If this is not accurate, what is the correct frequency?

769.00625 BM 293 NAC Montclair PD Police Local Tac P25 Law Tac
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
I think they are still simulcasting so that may be what that is. They have not used much encryption so far.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I seem to hear much more activity from them on the Montclair TRS than on the NJICS. Maybe only some transmissions are simulcasted.
 

Markscan

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 9, 2004
Messages
757
Reaction score
250
Location
New Jersey
I think only PD is simulcasting so the ambulance unit can still talk to them if needed. I think the holdup for the MVAU is money, but they want to make the switch.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
Does anyone know if Montclair FD uses the township TRS at all? I heard a dispatch earlier today but only heard it on 500.3625, and when I switched over to the TRS I didn't hear anything.
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
Montclair FD

Does anyone know why Montclair Fire sounds so bad on 500.3625? I live literally on the Montclair border and their signal is constantly fading in and out, even with my outdoor antenna. Is it low power or just a bad radio system? From what I understand their repeater is on top of Mountainside Hospital which is no more than a mile or two from my house.
 
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
865
Reaction score
111
Location
Northwest Bergen County, NJ
The transmitter site is actually just north of the Claridge House apartment complex, on the First Watchung Mountain. However, the height above ground is low - the antenna is mounted on a water tank that's about 2 stories tall.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top