Allrighty then 
As a Dispatcher for the departments I can confirm its true.
The HP-2 works amazingly well. I had an HP-1 & loved it. I sold it to afford my 436HP.
The Montclair TRS does have limited coverage outside of the town, but the PD actively operate on the West Orange site of the NJICS. You should be able to hear them everywhere in that coverage area (and it's quite large).
Sent from my Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk
Montclair PD is always a mystery. I'm in Verona next town over and I have trouble getting them. West Orange too is a cluster F.
Whatever Montclair is doing is a fail and WO and Verona need to get rid of EDACS ASAP!
I live right on the border of West Orange and Montclair and I can barely pull in the Montclair TRS. And the FD analog frequency sounds terrible too.
The West Orange system sounds fine for me. Verona I can barely pull in at all, even with my outdoor antenna.