MontCo upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeleses

HM1529 - where can I find the "trunked system database page" for Montco, PA?

Thank you!

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I’m up to 103 talkgroups and 911 RIDS. Lots of people turning on radios over the last few days. Tomorrow’s the big day. :ROFLMAO:

I mean, the computer did most of the work. I just reviewed the data at the end of the day.

3,554 RIDs and 105 talkgroups later, most of it was fairly easy to pin down.

The remaining encrypted talkgroups might get pinned down over time. There are two new PD car to car talkgroups...one routine, one for command ops. Looks like no data channel. Sheriffs appear to have two groups, or were at least operating on two. County detectives seems pretty concrete given the RIDs, but then there is also the "CASE" channel...is that a local/county detectives working channel or did that replace Data? There are folks out there who know the answers. It's all just an exercise in completeness given the encryption. But, then again, it's also not really much of a "threat" knowing which is which given the encryption.

And then there are a handful of others...DPS encrypted channels, and a few more clear (Roads and Bridges seemed absent yesterday).

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Maybe Montco will publish it when they are comfortable that everything is working. There is also a possibility of a FOI on all talk group info on the system

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What is the county's plan for the legacy SmartZone system - will it be taken down completely (are the control channels still up,) or will it be maintained as a backup system? Will more frequencies be migrated from it to the P25 system? We have four Smartzone / Smartnet systems that have recently or will migrate to P25 systems, and they either migrate all legacy freqs, or just a subset and add other less interference prone freqs as they transition.

kh11

Premium Subscriber
Are the simplex Fireground freqs still the same?

zvelivis

Maus92 I'm not sure what the plan is. Currently my portable has the old system and new system programmed in it. Now that we have switched over they will be removing the old system from our radios.

KH11 - I think they are probably the same but I will check later today.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I mean, the computer did most of the work. I just reviewed the data at the end of the day.

3,554 RIDs and 105 talkgroups later, most of it was fairly easy to pin down.

The remaining encrypted talkgroups might get pinned down over time. There are two new PD car to car talkgroups...one routine, one for command ops. Looks like no data channel. Sheriffs appear to have two groups, or were at least operating on two. County detectives seems pretty concrete given the RIDs, but then there is also the "CASE" channel...is that a local/county detectives working channel or did that replace Data? There are folks out there who know the answers. It's all just an exercise in completeness given the encryption. But, then again, it's also not really much of a "threat" knowing which is which given the encryption.

And then there are a handful of others...DPS encrypted channels, and a few more clear (Roads and Bridges seemed absent yesterday).

well, I understand it did the logging , but you still had to interpret that info and classify it as to where it went and make the updates to the system.
Take a bunch of time to do that and saves us from having to sit and watch for encrypted **** and manually delete it or add it to black lists.

my part was easy, connect to the radio via BT access point and read it 😂

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
So far, my reception to the west is much better than previously. I still have full receive in Exeter Twp Berks, in the office garage , in my vehicle on the G5. Whereas I would lose it previously in Amity TwP , on my
APX.
I’m currently in Brecknock Berks , and I still have about 1 bar on receive with broken , intermit transmission, but still receiving it.
Those two new towers in Upper Pottsgrove right off 100 and Pottstown by Walmart , have made a significant difference

phillydjdan

The sites going into failsoft were likely the techs taking them offline momentarily as they removed voice channels from them and added them to the new system. If they follow the trend I've seen over the years, they will likely keep SmartZone up for a few weeks in case they have the need to revert back to it. Once it's clear the new system is running smoothly it will likely be taken off the air entirely. Burlington just did this as did Bucks a few years ago. Keep in mind, the whole point of upgrading is because the backbone is passed it's end of life. Why maintain a backup you can't repair easily?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The sites going into failsoft were likely the techs taking them offline momentarily as they removed voice channels from them and added them to the new system. If they follow the trend I've seen over the years, they will likely keep SmartZone up for a few weeks in case they have the need to revert back to it. Once it's clear the new system is running smoothly it will likely be taken off the air entirely. Burlington just did this as did Bucks a few years ago. Keep in mind, the whole point of upgrading is because the backbone is passed it's end of life. Why maintain a backup you can't repair easily?

Concur. The high cost of simply keeping it running, much less fixing what breaks, means it's fiscally unsound to keep the old system running.

I briefly thought about keeping our old system running in a scaled-down form as a backup. . . briefly. It was mainly a pipe dream, especially after I worked the numbers.

phillydjdan

i have read the whole forum and just so I am clear the sds100 is the radio to get for the new system or will the pro 96 work
Toss that ole boy in the garbage, brother. It's useless outside of Delco at this point lol. Get an SDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.