More Cumberland Co problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Originally scheduled to sign onto the county’s new M/A Com OpenSky emergency radio system in June, the switchover for county fire and EMS agencies now has been delayed indefinitely.

"We don’t want to keep changing the date," says Ted Wise, acting director of public safety for Cumberland County.

The latest transition to the 800 MHz system was planned for Aug. 30, but software expected to upgrade the radios is still in the development and testing stage.
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/08/23/news/news23.txt

ctrabs74

Wow, I'm shocked...

...SHOCKED, I TELL YOU!

The way things are going, the State Police will probably finish its conversion to "CLOSED" Sky no earlier than 2020. Of course, by that time (a) there will probably be a commercially available scanner to monitor OpenSky and (b) said system will probably be obsolete...

On a somewhat related note, West Chester University, which is part of the State System of Higher Education, is in the planning stages to drop its VHF channel for Campus Safety (PD) and move to OpenSky some time next year. Not really a huge loss, but I think I'd have more fun watching paint dry than listening to WCUPD (unless a major job happens on campus).

dmg1969

Also posted in Trunking, but will repeat my response here as well...

Thanks for the update, Bob. I check in now and then, but have pretty much given up on scanning as a hobby since the OpenSky switchover. It's really sad because it was my hobby for probably better than 20 years. If someone ever comes out with an OpenSky scanner, I'll gladly start listening again, but that doesn't look likely anytime soon.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.