More Protest in Downtown Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My thoughts are that there are two different sets of people "participating" in the protests. One is people who have feelings about an issue and they want their voices to be heard for positive outcomes - the "good" side. The other is a set of people using the circumstances as an opportunity to be destructive. Those are the ones vandalizing property, setting fires, looting and even worse. That's the "bad" side and I'm sure they have some degree of organization to them with no telling what resources they have.

As night falls, the "good" side goes home. The "bad" side goes into high gear. They have gone around town looking for targets of opportunity for looting, vandalism and worse.

I think Tuesday night the police substantially increased their efforts at dealing with the bad folks. They switched to an encrypted tac channel so they could coordinate officer positioning without the bad guys overhearing them.

I have no issue with that action. When stuff has gotten way out of hand, I'm okay with us not being able to listen in if it keeps the bad guys from also doing so.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I was really surprised that the protests were in the clear to begin with. Even though I'd love to continuing hearing what's going on, isn't that why we all listen to scanners? But if it helps protest the men and women in blue, black, gray and camouflage I'm all for it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was really surprised that the protests were in the clear to begin with. Even though I'd love to continuing hearing what's going on, isn't that why we all listen to scanners? But if it helps protest the men and women in blue, black, gray and camouflage I'm all for it.

This is a guess that could be entirely wrong. With that said, I believe MetroSafe has a cache of radios that can be distributed to outside agencies like KSP, National Guard for various things such as Derby, Thunder, etc. They probably are limited in which talkgroups are programmed and would not have any of the encrypted talkgroups.

It may have taken a little bit of time for the radio shop folks to gather the radios and set them up for encryption. While there is over the air means, they might been reluctant to do that because of critical traffic almost non-stop.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
If it's worth noting this here Lexington immediately switched to 3 tactical channels utilizing full encryption for protest operations. Not a surprise but I am with LMPD on this going to "secure" operations for protests. Yes, it's not exactly benefiting for us monitoring but is benefiting for officer safety.

Wackodrumr

I wonder if LMPD discovered that someone was monitoring Event 1 and relaying the information to the protesters?

They found out a Fire Fighter's spouse was monitoring the frequency and forwarding intel via social media to protesters on the ground. Switched everything to a different frequency mid-week and encrypted.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
They found out a Fire Fighter's spouse was monitoring the frequency and forwarding intel via social media to protesters on the ground. Switched everything to a different frequency mid-week and encrypted.
I know I'm being naive but I wonder if there's going to be any charges filled against this person?

Status
Not open for further replies.