Morse Code, Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

6079smithw

Oh My Sweet ****** !!!!
A 1500 foot tower !... just watching that video alone gave me vertigo. I did pay attention to the climber's rig- the two clip-in lines with their large, super duty carabiners- his harness. As a climber I appreciate the gear- but it is unthinkable I'd even approach any such tower. 100 feet up and I'd call it quits.
Its amazing what can be done with drones... :)
Those towers on Greenbury Point have static 5/8" stainless aircraft grade cables strung between levels. The steep-jacks tie into them with ascenders that allow them to walk along the ladders,moving upward, catching them if they slip.
It all makes me queezy just to think of it, tho I am sure the offer to climb one if the towers will always remain.
Lauri :)

Oh, I think its right on topic- that is, if that topic is to make Coyote pee her pants !..... :)
NO safety harness, no safety belay ! - when he crawl'd over that scaffolding I stopped breathing.
I guess I better come out of my "SK" and post some more early radio histories surrounding Spark (I have a tonne of them) getting things back on topic, for my system can only take so many of these high tower videos.... :)
I mentioned Marconi and his first trans Atlantic attempt.... was it "S" (dit dit dit) or atmospherics... . ? Any guess's Guys ?
Ahh, stay tuned !... ***
I am going to look up some more about Fred Dibnah and the video's about him; he looks like quite an interesting bloke.....but I'll be aided by a bottle of wine close at hand in case he starts to climb things.
PS

*** Guglielmo Marconi, et alii, might have a bit of a wait- my friend and I are about to leave on our cross country trip to see the changing Fall Colours, with a tertiary, or so, mission to search the American Heart Land for "THE" perfect mobile ham frequency. We'll see what histories I can write on the road. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

majoco

Stirrer
There's plenty of Youtubes about him. Some of the best ones are where he brings down down of those monstrous chimneys by knocking out half of the base by propping it up with great baulks of timber and then lighting a fire around them - he stand perilously close when it finally topples - sometimes too close. Amazing how he gets to be so accurate when it drops into a small space.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I sure wouldn't have done that for a measley 7,000 pounds! Did you catch where he admitted he quoted such a high price because he really did not want the job? :)

RFI-EMI-GUY

I mentioned Marconi and his first trans Atlantic attempt.... was it "S" (dit dit dit) or atmospherics... . ? Any guess's Guys ?
Ahh, stay tuned !... ***

My guess is atmospherics. Though the theory of spark gap transmission is solid, the coherer is a suspicious beast to me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

" The Morretti's 'hydrothermic' discharger, was used for a radio telephony circuit between Rome and Tripoli (Italy) ca. 1910. It consisted of a pair of copper discs set horizontally, one above the other. The lower disc had a tiny hole drilled through it, and through this hole, a mild acid was pumped. This form'd a thin stream that struck the upper copper disc.
"An electric current immediately vaporized this acidic jet, interrupting the circuit which was then reestablished, only to be interrupted again-- thus creating rapid current pulses. The operation was automatic, requiring no moving parts.
"Each pulse would excite the secondary circuit at a submultiple of its resonant frequency. In this way, oscillations persisting in the secondary circuit were continually reinforced to produce a slightly undulating continuous waves. The Morrietti transmitter was power'd by a high voltage DC generator thru a variable resistor. This resistor synchroniz'd the discharges, bring them in phase with oscillations in the antenna circuit. A carbon element microphone was placed in line with the ground connection of the antenna; becoming the quinessential definition of 'superimposing an audio frequency signal on an RF carrier-- ie: classical Amplitude Modulation.'
................ And, as a lover of Steam Punk, these are quintessential Jules Verne--- like something out of 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea"

A negative resistance device. He invented a tunnel diode.

Otto

I was going to finish this topic with the mention of Coherer receivers. For those curious, these were the very first radio signal detectors- consisting usually of metallic fillings (often a mixture of nickel and silver slivers.)
To this day, the physics of why these metallic particles will weld together in the presence of a radio signal is only partially understood.... think of it sort of like a mechanically resettable thyristor (but don't hold me to that.... :) )
Marconi recognized their properties early on, and well up until the RMS Titanic they were in standard wireless use.
I gave a demonstration to a Naval group of a Coherer receiver, using the metallic particle detector. However, what really caught these guys and gals attention was a variation on the theme-- an interesting device Dr. Lee De Forest invented and experimented with-- the Flame Diode--
Dr. Forest began experimenting with the rectifying properties of ionizing gases shortly after the 'Fin de siecle' of 1900. He knew that this was an impractical (and dangerous too) type of detector, but he recognized its science later in his vacuum tube diode. This was followed by his tube triodes.
I have attached a schematic of such a 'receiver.' The orginal used a small metal cup as the 'lower electrode' which held a small quantity of sodium hydroxide (common lye.) The flame heated and ionized this metallic alkali; in so doing, forming a basic diode rectifier. The remainder of the design should be familiar to modern-day hams.
And how well does Dr. De Forest's detector work ?

I will say that the Naval officers at that lecture were quite astounded at what we were able to 'tune in.' ..... try building one yourselves**
It will be a fun excursion from the repeaters and "59, 73, QRZ" 's.
(...from somewhere over an ocean at 35,000 feet :) )
Below, that's about as Steam Punk fashionable as they come .......... Julia (Jules) Verne :)

Attachments

• DeForest 6.jpg
    DeForest 6.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 151

RFI-EMI-GUY

Cool.
I remember building a flame speaker in HS Physics class.

You could have one flame demodulating, an amplifier and another as speaker.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Cool.
I remember building a flame speaker in HS Physics class.

You could have one flame demodulating, an amplifier and another as speaker.

Maybe a flame valve amplifier in between?

Hans13

Oh, damn you. Your links has caused me to watch Fred videos for two days now. That guy was a nut, yet also a genius.

I think I just found a new folk hero.

Aye. I've just started on "Fred Dibnah's Made In Britain" series, posted on YouTube, because of the links.

An Electrifying performance indeed !... :)
I wonder how easy it is for her chorus to remain nonplussed while THOSE things were discharging behind them.
As a graduate student, our department encouraged us to build this really hot Tesla Coil. This was no slouch of an beast, either- It used a proper RF generator (it was driven on 13MHz -- an ISM band freq.- for, oh to be sure- this Devil radiated!) -- we built it with a pair of Eimac 4-1000 Tetrodes running full-out Class C at +7000 Watts into the "Coil." (Yes, I have a great memory for details like this- for it was, after all, to become my career.... :) )
The "Coil," as we affectionately call it (me, I called it - 'Her' :) ), produced these Gi-normous discharges that can only be best described as measuring in roaring metre lengths. "Tesla's Fools:" we called ourselves, for this was of our own design, and we delited in making it as awesome as our department (ie: $$) would allow us. (it was, BTW, all largely constructed from the State Surplus warehouse parts and things we university students had access to- lots of donated military surplus....lots and lots of goodies... we cannibalize those things for parts ad libitum )
Naturally, some one at some point was going to have to try something "Tesla"-- that is, conducting the energy thru their Bods and discharging it innocently (??) at some target.
There's nothing like a little vaudeville
In those days, we students, preparing for such devotions to physics, selected our privileged scientists by lottery- giving each of them a few shots of Vodka (its always been my favorite since :) )-- and subjected them to-- to, 'the advancements of science."
Ever read about how the Druids prepared their sacrifices?....something like that :)
Like a Tesla Coil was advancing anything graduate-studentish in those heady academic environments...but our under grad classes were all invited to watch the "Coil" in action --with live, human, participants, for the first time.
One guess who drew that lucky lottery.

We had fixed up a very Very well insulated platform for our 'scientist' (victim) to stand upon. It was connected to the business end of the coil thru a piece of thick copper braid.
I climbed upon it and positioned myself. I had carefully remove all my clothing-- anything metallic, with buttons, zippers- bare foot'd, and wearing only a swimsuit and mesh glasses (goggles to protect my eyes-- and, of course, now fortified with liberal amounts of CH3OH) -- up there before a packed audience I await'd the "word."
"Remember Lauri, do NOT jump off that platform!"
"Stay calm, what ever happens ---and signal (what the H*** !! - how was i supposed to do to signal ??! )
" ...........that is, if it gets to be too much" said one of my friendly inquisitors.
When the word "Now!" was given, it was truly and electrifying moment. I felt a buzzing tingle over ever inch of my body- anyone want to truly experience RF's "skin effect??" -- then look no further than a Tesla Coil.
Extending an arm and pointing at a fluorescent light bulb across the room, I not only set it ablaze, but arc'd a bolt of lightning halfway towards it as well.
Fear the wrath of Goddess Lauri !
Six to eight inch flaming discharges were emanating from all over my body- but what was the most entertaining to the spectators where the foot long lightning bolts from two points from my chest region- I'll leave it to the imagination what prominent points of anatomy THAT was.... :)
But it was not a pleasant experience at all, this "skin effect." Unable to speak (opening my mouth burned the mucosa of my mouth painfully) I did the pantomimes of a burning martyr at a Roman debauchery- I eventually got my message slowly understood, and the Devil was switched off.
I never, ever volunteer for that stunt again. The She Devil, at my last inquiry, still resides in some back room of my alma mater- but no one, I hear, is ever allowed to 'ride her.'

Status
Not open for further replies.