Morse Code Software for Rx/Tx

TexTAC

I am looking for suggestions for Windows based software that can decode and transmit Morse code (and possibly other modes like RTTY and data) directly from/to my transceiver. I am using a Yaesu FT-991A. I want to have the signal sent to the PC and decoded automatically and then be able to type a response on the PC and have it coded and sent as CW. What software is recommended and what cables between 991A and the laptop will be needed? Thanks.

a417

it's been a loooong time since i've used Fldigi, and admittedly never had it on a transciever...but I had to go peruse the flrig-helpfile to see. I do see screenshots and settings for fldigi indicating it supports the 991. I had a feeling it was, but I had no first hand knowledge of it working.

judging by what I see, you might get what you want out of it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I've been hearing good things about the CWTY Decoder available on this website:
I haven't tried it yet, so I have no direct experience.

I found decoding CW with fldigi to be very frustrating. I probably didn't have things adjusted or configured correctly. I have also used MRP40 and CWGet. They both seem to do better, in my experience, than fldigi, but still weren't perfect. As long as CW is sent by hand, you will probably not get a perfect decode. During contests, when most of the big ops are sending "machine code" generated by their logging program, I had decent luck decoding CW and actually made a few contacts.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
Ham Radio Deluxe is nice Click Here to go to their site, you can try free for thirty day, also check to see if it supposes your Rig.

TexTAC

Ham Radio Deluxe looks very interesting to me as it has rig control, supports the most common modes, integrates with QRZ-LOTW and google maps, and provides satellite tracking. Plus it supports the 991A 100% and I already have the necessary cable and driver. Their website has a pdf that shows the settings required specifically for the 991A. Gonna do some more research but I’ll probably get it and play around with it over the holidays. Many thanks for all the suggestions. Appreciate all the help I can get.

merlin

For many years I have use SkySweep Pro almost exclusively. Supports many different protocols.
CW, RTTY, Packet, a few PSK modes, STANAG. SSTV, Fax
Has analyzers and filters. Like building blocks, you configure for what you want.
Most modes can open a chat box and can be configured for T/R via RS232.
(I used it for WeFax on HF a bit.)
I have version 5.13 that requires a paid activation key, but this is no longer supported.
I have WinMorse also, good for practice. text to Morse/ Morse to text.
Pipe audio to/from radio or use VBcable with SDR.
Download SkySweeper Professional 5.09 (softpedia.com)
WinMorse - The Ultimate Text to Morse Solution
Cheers.

kc0kp

I've been hearing good things about the CWTY Decoder available on this website:
I haven't tried it yet, so I have no direct experience.

I found decoding CW with fldigi to be very frustrating. I probably didn't have things adjusted or configured correctly. I have also used MRP40 and CWGet. They both seem to do better, in my experience, than fldigi, but still weren't perfect. As long as CW is sent by hand, you will probably not get a perfect decode.
Way back in the dark ages of 8bit I wrote a 6502 machine language cw decoder program on the Atari. It started out at 8 WPM using the weights suggested for sending proper CW. I used a subroutine that checked once a second to see when the characters were actually arriving and the length of dots, dashes and spaces the operator was sending adjusting the sample timing to fit. It even calculated the approximate speed in WPM and displayed it. Those who used iambic keyers, vibroplexes and such it would do real well in getting a proper decode. Hand keys were just okay. The program would do a guess to supply a missing dot or dash to generate a character based on what it heard and looking up valid Morse code characters.
The transmit side was easy. It took what it got timing wise from the sender and used that to transmit back. All the spacing was locked to ideal morse code at the speed it averaged from receive. It had a type ahead buffer and macros to send shortcut characters like BT

MaxDonoghue

I've been using MixW for years, and I mean years...VE3TMT since 1990. In my opinion, it has one of the best CW decoders out there. I use it for CW and PSK31 only. For some reason I can't configure the FSK keyer to work right with my TS850. It will do AFSK no problem. For FSK I use MMTTY.

CrazyCalifornian

Premium Subscriber
Way back in the dark ages of 8bit I wrote a 6502 machine language cw decoder program on the Atari. It started out at 8 WPM using the weights suggested for sending proper CW. I used a subroutine that checked once a second to see when the characters were actually arriving and the length of dots, dashes and spaces the operator was sending adjusting the sample timing to fit. It even calculated the approximate speed in WPM and displayed it. Those who used iambic keyers, vibroplexes and such it would do real well in getting a proper decode. Hand keys were just okay. The program would do a guess to supply a missing dot or dash to generate a character based on what it heard and looking up valid Morse code characters.
The transmit side was easy. It took what it got timing wise from the sender and used that to transmit back. All the spacing was locked to ideal morse code at the speed it averaged from receive. It had a type ahead buffer and macros to send shortcut characters like BT

Do you still have that program?

kc0kp

Do you still have that program?
I do but it is on a floppy disk from the dark ages of Atari and I have no idea where it is. Somewhere in a file drawer is the source code and Assembly Language build sheet. If I find that, I will let you know.