Morse Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAF27

Hi All,

Was interested in getting into Morse Code through radio. I would just be receiving (No HAM License yet), and was wondering what frequencies are common with morse code? Also, what scanner, receiver, or radio would you recommend that I buy for me to listen to these frequencies?

- Thanks

a417

You can look at the band plans on the ARRL website, and you can see that the bottom of most band plan segments have a CW area. Now this is non-authoritative, but this is where you will most likely find CW (morse) activity.

As you already have a computer, you very simply pull up any of the hundreds of online SDRs (Univ of Twente is my favorite, albeit being in the Netherlands) and tune up any of the bands you wish to see if there is CW activity in.

If you are looking for anything local, you can literally find any programmable scanner and tune in those frequencies. You won't need to worry about digital modes, or anything crazy...you just need a reciever...analog will do.

You can literally click a link in this post and find CW in minutes, for free.

a417

As of this post, I can hear / see several active stations at the bottom of the 80 meter band segment on the Univ Of Twente WebSDR... Little quick for me, but it's there.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest that before you invest in a receiver that you get a Morse app for your phone or computer. You will need a lot of practice to copy code of the air by ear. (yes you can use software to decode, but where is the fun in that) Receiving Morse well requires a good receiver with very narrow bandwidth. Typically I use a 500Hz filter. Morse is sent by keying the transmitter on and off with a key. The receiver needs a beat frequency oscillator (BFO) to produce the tone we associate with Morse. Scanners receive FM and are not suitable to copy Morse. Shortwave receivers sold to consumers will not have the filtration mentioned above as a rule.

Before anyone objects to the above, I am well aware that all of this can be done with computers. Both sending and receiving. Not to mention all the digital modes in use.

However, if you want to learn Morse the old fashioned way start with a teaching app. Of course, you may be lucky enough to have a friend who can send to you over the air. Either way you will need a lot of practice. By the way, the Morse operators I know hear whole words not individual letters. They copy by ear without needing to write it down character by character.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @JAF27. Here is the W1AW Operating Schedule that shows their Morse Code / CW Practice sessions. The advantage of using this resource for leaning Morse Code is because their text files used to generate the CW are readily available. Just look through the left column of links on the main webpage that I cited below for all of the resources.

We will let you digest what has been posted thus far and wait to see what questions you have. I could go on for pages with information but I don't want to overwhelm you on your first question.

73 (ham lingo for best wishes), Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain

merlin

When I first started with Morse it was the alphabet, then numbers, then punctuation.
That was a total fail trying to decode the W1AW code practice at beginner speed.
My 6th grade teacher(WB6GUV) gave me a sheet of paper with a diagram of Morse code,,called the cumulative diagram. With that, I learned the code in a week flat and was at 6 WPM with W1AW.
A couple months, I was 10 WPM, 100% copy but like everyone, that is where I lagged.
I took to listening to marine shore>ship weather sent 21 WPM. Wasn't long I learned the 'sounds' of character groups,phrases,and words. Eventually got to 50 WPM, and that is like learning a new language.
Here is similar to that diagram I started with, going top to bottom, you hear 'DIT' you look right, 'DAH' you look left. Start with that Indian name 'EISTMO' (di-di-dit-Dah-Dah-Dah) and go from there.
Master the diagram, you can decode sub 5 WPM in 5 minutes.

Get one of those random code generators, adjustable speed, and work at it.
73s

Last edited:

Boombox

Hi All,

Was interested in getting into Morse Code through radio. I would just be receiving (No HAM License yet), and was wondering what frequencies are common with morse code? Also, what scanner, receiver, or radio would you recommend that I buy for me to listen to these frequencies?

- Thanks
A chart of the ham bands will help, because the lowest sections of each HF ham band are where the CW people hang out.

If you can, listen to the W1AW CW transmissions, if they're coming in. They have specific frequencies they use in the 20 and 40 meter ham bands (and maybe some other ham bands as well), and they do a lot of slower CW. Also the 7100-7150 portion of the 40 meter ham band has a certain amount of slow CW activity. I used to listen there a lot during the evenings and practice copying the Morse there.

The DX portions of the ham CW bands (usually the lowest part -- 7000-7050 or so, 14000-14100 or thereabouts) are useful because you'll hear a lot of activity, and you'll be able to at least learn to ID the CQs and the callsigns, even though they're often sending very fast.

That's been my experience, anyway -- and I'm not a ham, never have been. Just a long time SWL.

Good luck.

WB9YBM

Hi All,

- Thanks

I've attached a file from 2020; the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) is the place to check for updates. I can also recommend the "Morse Code" entry on Wikipedia that discusses (among other things) code speeds, speeds to character spacing and dot/dash ratios & etc. better than I could. Good luck!
band plan, ham HF, 2020.jpg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting everyone! My new Kenwood TS-590SG has a built in CW-to-Text translator that spells out the words on the display. I'm going to give it a try.

majoco

Stirrer
Download a programme called "WinMorse2". Paste a document onto the square, set up the speeds, long spaces, Farnsworth or whatever and it will send perfect more to you. DO NOT touch a key until you can reliably receive 10wpm then key the document you inserted and listen to the programme at the same time. You will soon learn to synchronise your sending with the perfect computer morse. Preferably use headphones rather than a speaker. Once you get it, it's like riding a bike, you can always do it! Another tip - when sending from a document, trace along the words with your finger - it sounds a bit 'primary school reading' but it stops you reading ahead which your brain wants to do.

merlin

Nearly forty years licensed and this is the first I've ever heard of this. How bloody brilliant!
Yea, I was so frustrated in tying to learn code I about gave it up then this came along and saved the day.

RichardW9RAC

Hi All,

- Thanks
Consider skipping the SWL receiver but instead a lower priced amateur rig, maybe a Yaesu 450d or Icom 7300. This way you will have your SWL rig to copy code with and when you are ready to move into a license you will be rig ready. Check out the area around 7.058 (SKCC), also 7115-120, those are the old CW areas of 40 novice band. Take a look at the SKCC site, lots of information there on getting started and Elmer's also when you are ready. You will find many new CW Ops on those areas, many at 10 WPM or less, a great place to start and stay if you learn to enjoy rag-chew or the like. Take a look at the Skillman method. You do not hear much about it because it is not free, but it is highly effective. Morse is a sound language, do not look at it written down, DO NOT COUNT. Counting seams EZ at first, then soon you will find why people tell you not to count. It can take months, years, maybe never to learn to UN-count. Drop me a line if I can help, 73 Rich

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the Skillman method. You do not hear much about it because it is not free, but it is highly effective.
I imagine that sales dropped next to nothing when the code requirement for Tech was eliminated. It does appear to be a good method of learning though. Like any other program however, it will require quite an investment in time to become proficient.

RichardW9RAC

I imagine that sales dropped next to nothing when the code requirement for Tech was eliminated. It does appear to be a good method of learning though. Like any other program however, it will require quite an investment in time to become proficient.
Well I'm not sure how that might have affected their sales since it's a higher priced course and I suspect those who consider it are pretty determined to learn. I'm active on the CW bands most days and most days I do run across new operators many times a maiden QSO for them. I make an extra effort to QSO with new or learning Ops, being an SKCC Elmer. Hope to hear you on the bands, 73 Rich

RichardW9RAC

Well, the "radio" approach the op mentioned is what helped me get from 5 WPM to 25+ WPM just by shear practice, so maybe there's something to that? :)
You progress sounds great. I'm strictly a rag chew CW type guy, which is a completely different style. I know OPS who blaze 30 WPM on exchanges who struggle trying to carry on a conversation at 13. So to the point there is CW and then there is CW, at 18+ most conversional Morse Ops will head copy most and maybe like me jotting down some notes so subject matter reference on the return. 73 Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.