• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorcycle installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What have any of you used for a motorcycle installation? Did you use an external speaker and hand mic? Helmet mounted headset, either wired or BT? What was used for PTT? Which BT headsets were used? Is an intercom integrated into the system? What type(s) of antenna(s), and where were they mounted?

I have a Harley Davidson Electra Glide police model, and thought about using a Yaesu FTM-10, but those are difficult to locate. I figured a NGP antenna could be used, mounted on a pole, that was for the beacon mount.

KD4SHK

Look at Sena. I use a Sena 10R (hub) to connect to a Sena bluetooth headset. The 10R hub can easily be wired to your particular radio, with a push to talk button on the handlebar. They make a "Freewire" hub that supposedly is made specifically for Harley.

W5lz

FWIW
Most 'in-helmet' devices I've seen have been 'hard-wired'. They have the inconvenience of being 'plugged/unplugged' but typically worked with no problems (other than the normal ones of 'curing' the engine's noise problems, that's normal). No possible way of someone else hearing whats said. Where you do the plug/unplugging is very optional. Maybe a bit 'odd' but who cares?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Look at Sena. I use a Sena 10R (hub) to connect to a Sena bluetooth headset. The 10R hub can easily be wired to your particular radio, with a push to talk button on the handlebar. They make a "Freewire" hub that supposedly is made specifically for Harley.
The Freewire is an interface for the bike's wired intercom, to access it wirelessly, which police bikes do not have.

With your 10R, are you just linking to your phone, or are you also listening to something else?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If you have a FLHT-P, get the stuff the PDs use:

The Sena stuff is fine for accessing cell phones, GPS, and intercom gear. It isn't designed for two-way comm gear.

The Sena stuff could be fine for my use, using my phone, and my handhelds. I am not planning on hooking up an in-vehicle mobile, but have considered one made for a motorcycle/ATV.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The 10R hub can easily be wired to your particular radio, with a push to talk button on the handlebar.

I've been considering getting Bluetooth so I can run motorcycle mobile with my TH-D74. Out of curiosity.. Considering that you need both hands and both feet to ride a bike, where do you mount the PTT switch on the handlebars?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I've been considering getting Bluetooth so I can run motorcycle mobile with my TH-D74. Out of curiosity.. Considering that you need both hands and both feet to ride a bike, where do you mount the PTT switch on the handlebars?
Just inboard your factory controls, probably on your left side.

Have you looked at the PrymeBLU options?

Status
Not open for further replies.