• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Mission Critical RSM firmware update failure

fcfd15

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any issues upgrading firmware on APS? I’m upgrading a Bluetooth earpiece (nntn8125) from R01 to R01.03.10 and it will get to the end and fail. Now the RSM won’t turn on and I cannot revert back to R01 due to the firmware not available anywhere. I’ve contacted MOL with no resolution as of now.

Programming method:
Windows 11, connected via USB, current version of APS. Attempted on 2 machines with same issue.

Thanks in advance!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Many years ago I had issues upgrading the exact same earpiece and I ended up with a brick. IIRC, the third party software that established communications with the earpiece didn't install properly and the upgrade failed. Ended up opening a case with Motorola and since the device was under warranty, they replaced it free of charge. Never attempted to upgrade the new unit.

fcfd15

Premium Subscriber
Seems to be what mine has turned in to, a nice brick with the Motorola logo. Hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement like you did. Thanks for the reply.

fcfd15

Premium Subscriber
***ISSUE RESOLVED***

Anyone else that is having this issue, I have resolved it.

Steps to resolve:
Downgrade APS from current to APS 4.5(that's the version I used). Loaded up the firmware and issue resolved itself. I believe there is an issue with either the current APS or atmel flip. If anyone needs any help with this let me know.

human8472

***ISSUE RESOLVED***

Anyone else that is having this issue, I have resolved it.

Steps to resolve:
Downgrade APS from current to APS 4.5(that's the version I used). Loaded up the firmware and issue resolved itself. I believe there is an issue with either the current APS or atmel flip. If anyone needs any help with this let me know.
Thanks for the update. I am trying to update the firmware on my Bluetooth RSM and it keeps failing. I have APS version v4.11.0. Do you know how to get the APS v4.5 that you used?

KD9FAL

I am having a similar issue with a PMMN4096A, Ops Critical Wireless RSM. Failed update and now device failure on power up. Any pointers on where to find an earlier version of APS or how to proceed. Mine is looking like a driver issue as I get a Generic Bluetooth Radio with an error that windows has stopped the device in device manager

fcfd15

Premium Subscriber
I am having a similar issue with a PMMN4096A, Ops Critical Wireless RSM. Failed update and now device failure on power up. Any pointers on where to find an earlier version of APS or how to proceed. Mine is looking like a driver issue as I get a Generic Bluetooth Radio with an error that windows has stopped the device in device manager
Sorry for the late reply, I just tried the same method on the PMMN4096A and it also failed to update on the earlier version of APS as well

Asunakiyori

Lurker
Mine did the same thing, I had to use another cable, I also change the USB port on the front of my case that I knew I was having data loss issues on to the one on the back direct to the board. After that, it loaded the firmware and booted up, no failures, connects to my APX's just fine now. The only issue I have is every so often it goes from Perfectly connected and in range to the Amber not in perfect range when the darn thing is on my belt and the mic is on my shoulder

Last edited:

fcfd15

Premium Subscriber
So what I’m gathering is I don’t need to update the firmware yet😂 I don’t want the range issues, my OCD wouldn’t tolerate it lmao thanks for the update
Mine did the same thing, I had to use another cable, I also change the USB port on the front of my case that I knew I was having data loss issues on to the one on the back direct to the board. After that, it loaded the firmware and booted up, no failures, connects to my APX's just fine now. The only issue I have is every so often it goes from Perfectly connected and in range to the Amber not in perfect range when the darn thing is on my belt and the mic is on my shoul

Asunakiyori

Lurker
So what I’m gathering is I don’t need to update the firmware yet
personally, I updated to to see if that solved my Lower connection strength issue. I've had that since I got the thing Still have it, but further testing is required on my end as last time I had that issue I was in a High traffic convention and some dimwhit was running around with a flipper 0 attacking medical devices