• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola MTS2000 Model 1 - w/photos I programmed it I just have a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinderik

KG,
It's very curious. I'm not sure if I use the same PL for CH2 and it just happens to not be on a repeater.

To Clarify, That yellow post it note that was in my first post was the "information" given to me by my boss, I'm assuming given to him by the radio programming guy. I don't know if I made that clear throughout all of this.

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Are your co workers using the same model radio by chance? If so you could just clone theirs to yours and save some confusion.

Thinderik

Everyone else uses Kenwoods. Maybe a couple other people use some off brands.

When I decided to get one for myself I chose the Motorola because it's what I see all my EMS/Medic/Police friends coming into the ER with. So basically bias lol.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Well it was worth a shot. Good choice on a Motorola though. I'm a little bias myself. You probably have seen it in your software or may know already, but if you buy anymore matching radios you can just clone the code plug to save some time. Not that programming a couple channels takes a long time, but it also removes the possibility of a typo.

Thinderik

CMJ,
I love the software interface of the MTS and if there is one thing I am prone to do it's a fricken Typo. Without a doubt.

I want to get 1 or 2 more of these MTS2k's H01RDD's of course now that I have one finding another on ebay is proving to be a pain in my A$$. I think I just got lucky with this one.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Unless if I missed something, Ch 2 is 100 kHz different than the repeater output so it's a simplex channel and not a true talk around. If everyone else is set up with any kind of PL or DPL, they won't hear him with carrier squelch.

Yes, you oopsed the frequency on the talkaround channel.

Also you can leave channel 2 as CSQ but put the PL tone on transmit. Doubt other radios are CSQ and that way you are sure to reach them.

That post-it is as clear as mud. A tech could read between the lines and set up a simple repeater/talkaround set, but it is missing needed information for someone following instructions so don't feel bad.

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, that post-it note is pretty vague. It tells you that channel two is not through a repeater but after it shows a duplex pair (that is 100 kHz different than channel 1).

How tricky would it be to meet with whomever programmed the Kenwoods? Or at least talk to them!

Thinderik

Is it possible that they would have one channel for Tx and one for Rx on that second channel but with no repeater? Or is that not possible?

I'll ask the Boss on Wednesday. From what I was told he spends a lot of time talking about how he's so good with radios but very little time proving it with his actions. I have this tingling feeling he'd be the kind of guy who would either be a jack off talking to. Hope I'm wrong.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No, it wouldn't make any sense to have split TX and RX frequencies without a repeater.

Well, good luck!

Thinderik

Ahhhhh I get it, I think. Because when your on a repeater system it takes my weak 464.xxx Tx signal grabs it boosts it then Tx's it as 469.xxx which is my radios Rx Freq.

If you split them and each radio was programmed like Ch 2 on that post it, we'd all be Tx and no one would hear Sh$%t.

...I think...

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Other way around but yes! You TX at 469.xxx which is the repeater's input (RX) and then RX the repeater's output at 464.xxx (repeater TX).

You could have two radios programmed with split frequencies but they'd need to be the opposite of each other and only they'd work with each other. Radio 1 would TX on frequency A and RX on frequency B while Radio 2 would TX on frequency B and RX on frequency A. Convoluted and completely unnecessary while not using a repeater.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unless if I missed something, Ch 2 is 100 kHz different than the repeater output so it's a simplex channel and not a true talk around. If everyone else is set up with any kind of PL or DPL, they won't hear him with carrier squelch.

Yeah, you are correct, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Thunderik,
Since the simplex channel is separate from the repeater channel, you won't have any issues with the repeater confusing things. Ignore what I said above.

Status
Not open for further replies.