• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola N30, N50, N70

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnv992

So - new radios are officially on Motorolas website.
What’s everyone’s take on them ? I really really hope they don’t discontinue the standard APX6000 and 8000 in favor of these iPhone lookalikes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Meh.
Single band, nice form factor for a cell phone. Wouldn't want to try and use it without having both hands free.
I'm not convinced it's a good idea. Public safety likes things that look and feel like radios. Adding a single band radio to it seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I held all three, along with an APX Next. The APX Next is not a comfortable radio.

With Kenwood/EFJ and Tait both showing multiband/multiprotocol radios that actually look and feel like radios, I'm wondering what Motorola thinks the market is for these.

mbnv992

Looking at Motorolas website all of these new APX radios, while all single band seems to be only 7/800MHZ. Unless I’m missing something for the specs for the UHF and VHF units ? The specs on Motorolas website only lists specs for the 7/800MHZ models. Nothing about any other bands being offered.

mbnv992

Sorry - I didn’t see you posted a thread about these radios almost the same time I did hahaha

If one of the mods wants to combine this thread with mmckennas please feel free to do so. Thanks !

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking at Motorolas website all of these new APX radios, while all single band seems to be only 7/800MHZ. Unless I’m missing something for the specs for the UHF and VHF units ? The specs on Motorolas website only lists specs for the 7/800MHZ models. Nothing about any other bands being offered.

I imagine that Motorola will be happy to sell you a brand new 800MHz P25 trunked system to run these fancy new radios.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Link? I must be having a moment, I don't see them on the moto site...

mbnv992

Still begs the question - what’s gonna happen to the 6000/8000 series ? I would think because the design from that and the Next is so drastically different, they Motorola will definitely keep making the standard 6/8000 models for some time to come.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber

Meh.
Single band, nice form factor for a cell phone. Wouldn't want to try and use it without having both hands free.
I'm not convinced it's a good idea. Public safety likes things that look and feel like radios. Adding a single band radio to it seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I held all three, along with an APX Next. The APX Next is not a comfortable radio.

With Kenwood/EFJ and Tait both showing multiband/multiprotocol radios that actually look and feel like radios, I'm wondering what Motorola thinks the market is for these.

" Public safety likes things that look and feel like radios " I would agree, Motorola has assisted me more than once in subduing a reluctant or should I say recalcitrant arrestee.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
N70 is the all-band like an APX 8000. The lower two models are single band radios.

Now, about that software encryption N30...is that software AES? I don't think that hardware encryption is even necessary these days, when it can be implemented fully in software. However hardware encryption may be a necessity due to FIPS. Maybe software encryption can't meet FIPS standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.