• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola sound "Dee Doot"

Brendan83

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I don't know if this has been answered or not I've searched for hours but failed. Does anyone know what this mic sound is and how I can program my XTL or APX to do it. I'm sure it's data sending the ptt id over the air, analog with digital data on the MDC but it's killing me. It sounds like a Motorola 2175/1950 F1 Keying Tone but it's reversed with different pitch. I recorded audio and made a video with the "dee doot" at the end three times so you can get a better listen. Any input is much appreciated!

Last edited:

sammyg512

I think I know what you mean, there is a variety of tones that can be enabled. I set up one incorrectly in analog mode, and got the tone, by selecting Remote Monitor Decode in MDC Systems. If you are wanting a pre-message alert to be played in Digital Mode, this can be done in contacts and selecting the Call Recieve Tone option.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
That's nice. Most of us don't really care about making our radios make Cop Sounds. (TM) In fact it's generally frowned upon..

The talk permit tone, a single short beep or triple beep, that ISN'T transmitted, is useful. Anything that gets transmitted that other people hear, or which sounds like robots trying to talk to each other, is generally considered to be annoying and is best avoided.

Brendan83

Premium Subscriber
That's nice. Most of us don't really care about making our radios make Cop Sounds. (TM) In fact it's generally frowned upon..

The talk permit tone, a single short beep or triple beep, that ISN'T transmitted, is useful. Anything that gets transmitted that other people hear, or which sounds like robots trying to talk to each other, is generally considered to be annoying and is best avoided.
Yeah well I work in public safety so what's annoying to you is not annoying to us. But thanks for your input.

tunnelmot

It may be a tone remote signal but with custom, or different tones used. Jut a guess untill we can hear your recording.
From Wikipedia:
Tone remote - Wikipedia. (sound)

Tone remotes send commands to a base station using function tones, a series of two tones in sequence. The first tone is 2,175 Hz and is 100-300 milliseconds in length.[6] The most common second tone is 1,950 Hz. The most commonly used tone sequence in tone remote controls is the channel 1 transmit command. The default for this command consists of a high-level 2,175 Hz followed by a lower-level 1,950 Hz. A continuous, low-level 2,175 Hz tone follows. Voice is multiplexed over the tone. So long as the 2,175 Hz tone is present, the transmitter remains on. An audio notch filter removes the 2,175 Hz low-level tone from the actual transmit audio. General Electric Mobile Radio called the high-level tone, '"Secur-it tone", and called the low-level tone "hold tone." In the industry, the low-level continuous tone is often called, low-level guard tone. The low-level tone is present at the same time as transmitted voice.​

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Yeah, well, I've been doing this radio thing for longer than a lot of younger officers have been alive, and know many of them who find unnecessary radio beeping sounds to be as annoying as hell. They want a talk permit tone so they know when they are OK to talk, otherwise they want no beeps and boops coming out of their radio that they don't HAVE to have.

Brendan83

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, well, I've been doing this radio thing for longer than a lot of younger officers have been alive, and know many of them who find unnecessary radio beeping sounds to be as annoying as hell. They want a talk permit tone so they know when they are OK to talk, otherwise they want no beeps and boops coming out of their radio that they don't HAVE to have.
Thank you for your service.

Brendan83

Premium Subscriber
It may be a tone remote signal but with custom, or different tones used. Jut a guess untill we can hear your recording.
From Wikipedia:
Tone remote - Wikipedia. (sound)

Tone remotes send commands to a base station using function tones, a series of two tones in sequence. The first tone is 2,175 Hz and is 100-300 milliseconds in length.[6] The most common second tone is 1,950 Hz. The most commonly used tone sequence in tone remote controls is the channel 1 transmit command. The default for this command consists of a high-level 2,175 Hz followed by a lower-level 1,950 Hz. A continuous, low-level 2,175 Hz tone follows. Voice is multiplexed over the tone. So long as the 2,175 Hz tone is present, the transmitter remains on. An audio notch filter removes the 2,175 Hz low-level tone from the actual transmit audio. General Electric Mobile Radio called the high-level tone, '"Secur-it tone", and called the low-level tone "hold tone." In the industry, the low-level continuous tone is often called, low-level guard tone. The low-level tone is present at the same time as transmitted voice.​

I appreciate the information 🤙

Brendan83

Premium Subscriber
My youtube video is keeping the video private and will become "public" tomorrow 8/12/24 at 12am so I apologize for the inconvenience and THANK YOU for everyone's information on this topic! I appreciate you guys

K2NEC

Thank you for your service! For your next self boast are you going to tell us all about how you invented non affiliate scan??

sammyg512

Yeah well I work in public safety so what's annoying to you is not annoying to us. But thanks for your input.
I work in Public Safety too, and personally like the incoming message tone, especially if in a loud environment without proper cans on. Helps identify when its the radio, so you can cover your earpiece, to better hear whats being transmitted. Quite a lot of our team, use D Loops with Hearing Protection, so find the pre-message tone quite useful.

K2NEC

Hello! I don't know if this has been answered or not I've searched for hours but failed. Does anyone know what this mic sound is and how I can program my XTL or APX to do it. I'm sure it's data sending the ptt id over the air, analog with digital data on the MDC but it's killing me. It sounds like a Motorola 2175/1950 F1 Keying Tone but it's reversed with different pitch. I recorded audio and made a video with the "dee doot" at the end three times so you can get a better listen. Any input is much appreciated!

Now that the video is public, that sounds like the voter making a switch. Not something you can program into a radio.

nikronzo

Its either a SpectraTac or Digitac comparator with a tone keying module producing the high low tone as the repeater carrier remains open. You'll hear it either when another unit comes in before the line has a chance to come down or the console keys the comparator wireline right after a subscriber keys down.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
Your are hearing the function tone from a tone keying sequence on a 2 wire or 4 wire analog circuit. The tone signaling (Of which includes function tone) is typically generated by a remote (Which includes dispatch consoles) and/or voting comparators.

Equipment typically filters guard tone 2175 HZ, (High level and low level) That is why you don't hear it.

Function tones are varied. 1950 HZ is standard for single frequency stations, but other tones are used in multi frequency systems (1850, 1350, 1250 etc)

Since the function tones are too numerous to filter without degrading voice audio, they are allowed to pass unnotched. (IE What you hear.)

Look up "tone remote keying" if you want to get the duration and level of tone keying sequence.

Today, $3 and this information might buy a cup of coffee as this type of base station control isn't used much in today's radio networks (Other than controlling conventional and/or "legacy" resources)