• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola/Vertex VX-P949

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-crime

Does anyone know what ever happened to the VX-P949 that was supposed to be released last year? Did it get scrapped? Or is a release in the works?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

12dbsinad

That's interesting that M would have two essentially same radios with slight cosmetic changes.

Wait a minute, no it isn't. GP300/P110 comes to mind in the old radius line :)

memtech3

This was released right before M announced that they were going to obliterate... sorry I mean "rebrand" vertex radios. NYPD is known for getting special stuff from M...
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/SSE5000_(NYPD)
Why would they choose the vertex one instead of the motot one? The moto one has better design (PTT button, rest of buttons, emergency button is shinier)

twl911

Premium Subscriber
That's interesting that M would have two essentially same radios with slight cosmetic changes.

Wait a minute, no it isn't. GP300/P110 comes to mind in the old radius line :)

HT600 and P200 would be a better comparison. If I remember correctly the GP300 could scan, don't believe the P110 would?

12dbsinad

HT600 and P200 would be a better comparison. If I remember correctly the GP300 could scan, don't believe the P110 would?
Both came in 2,8 or 16 channels. Both could scan. The 2 and 8 channel were still a 16 channel capable radio with stops on the channel selector. Break off the stops, and fool it with CPS to "think" it was a 16 channel radio and you had yourself a 16 channel radio.

The guts of both the GP300 and the P110 are identical. The P110 had a bigger, taller housing. Both used the same programming cradle.

4-crime

This was released right before M announced that they were going to obliterate... sorry I mean "rebrand" vertex radios. NYPD is known for getting special stuff from M...
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/SSE5000_(NYPD)
Why would they choose the vertex one instead of the motot one? The moto one has better design (PTT button, rest of buttons, emergency button is shinier)

I do not believe this is an NYPD exclusive special production, as I believe I saw it is also being used by DHS.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I do not believe this is an NYPD exclusive special production, as I believe I saw it is also being used by DHS.
You're probably referring to a link I posted in your other thread about this radio in the NY forum. That was merely a link to the radio's Project 25 Compliance Assessment Program (P25 CAP) page on the DHS website. It has nothing to do with the radio being used by DHS agents.

Danny37

You're probably referring to a link I posted in your other thread about this radio in the NY forum. That was merely a link to the radio's Project 25 Compliance Assessment Program (P25 CAP) page on the DHS website. It has nothing to do with the radio being used by DHS agents.

I think he was referring to the radios used by the NYC department of homeless services police, not homeland security.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I think he was referring to the radios used by the NYC department of homeless services police, not homeland security.
Perhaps, but when referring to "DHS" outside of the NY forum (i.e. here in the Motorola forum), it's assumed that the reference is to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. ;)

4-crime

Perhaps, but when referring to "DHS" outside of the NY forum (i.e. here in the Motorola forum), it's assumed that the reference is to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. ;)

GTR8000 your right, I was referring to the link you posted.

I am going to give Motorola a call and see if I can get some more Info on this portable.

4-crime

I was able to find some clearer pictures of the radios that NYPD is issuing, and they do not look like the P949. They look like the APX900 with the limited keypad. As you can see the PTT has a green circle around it and the PTT is round. The PTT on the P949 is more squared and has an orange trim. The only thing is, on this radio the front label says Vertex Standard, Not Motorola. They also have custom Motorola RSM’s.

Attachments

• 85DA4D1C-CB4A-449D-A564-C70C3B6E71D5.jpeg
    85DA4D1C-CB4A-449D-A564-C70C3B6E71D5.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 0C1A5078-B5C2-4539-B4FD-2B82188010D5.jpeg
    0C1A5078-B5C2-4539-B4FD-2B82188010D5.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 09AE3307-94DC-4127-906D-F2DAEAF25048.jpeg
    09AE3307-94DC-4127-906D-F2DAEAF25048.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 222

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I was able to find some clearer pictures of the radios that NYPD is issuing, and they do not look like the P949. They look like the APX900 with the limited keypad. As you can see the PTT has a green circle around it and the PTT is round. The PTT on the P949 is more squared and has an orange trim. The only thing is, on this radio the front label says Vertex Standard, Not Motorola. They also have custom Motorola RSM’s.
Keep in mind that no one has actually seen a production VX-P949 until now, only prototypes and test models. It's pretty likely that at some point, Motorola decided it was silly to produce an entirely new housing for what is essentially an existing model, the APX 900 (which is what the VX-P949 is internally).

4-crime

I hear ya. Also weird that Motorola branded it Vertex Standard since, well they are no longer.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
It is my understanding that NYPD has a written contract that hasn’t expired with VX that states they MUST use Vertex BRANDED Portables. Although we all know VX is no more and now Moto, and transit has been using APXs for some time now, I believe the written contract has something to do with why that APX has the VX name on it. This is what I was told from an electronics section fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.