• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola/Vertex VX-P949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Do they also have a leather company making special radio holders for them? I've seen them with the new vx-p949 and the vx-p824 radios out there with the branding "NYMM" on the front of the case.

I googled searched "NYMM" and nothing came up.

4-crime

Could be a brand/company with their own branding. Any leather company can stamp your logo on an item such as a firefighter strap or case.

4-crime

It is my understanding that NYPD has a written contract that hasn’t expired with VX that states they MUST use Vertex BRANDED Portables. Although we all know VX is no more and now Moto, and transit has been using APXs for some time now, I believe the written contract has something to do with why that APX has the VX name on it. This is what I was told from an electronics section fella.
I’m curious if they have to rebrand batteries, accessories etc. as well...seems like a lot of work for nothing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, it's not exactly "for nothing", as the NYPD purchases tens of thousands of items. Spending a few dollars to change the logo on the housing is an investment on Motorola's part to keep the city happy (and I'm sure Motorola is recouping that cost anyway). If the contract specifies that the items need to be "Vertex" brand, then it is what it is. It's a lot easier to replace MOTOROLA with VERTEX on the plastic parts than it is to get lawyers involved in renegotiating the existing contract, believe me. Besides, it could just be the radios themselves that are required to be "Vertex" brand, with the accessories noted "or equal", which would permit Motorola branded batteries, chargers, etc. Either way, functionally they are all APX parts and pieces, regardless of the name printed on them.

K2NEC

Why specifically a contract with Vertex of all manufacturers? And can't they argue that Motorola IS Vertex now since the companies merged?

4-crime

Quick note on the VX537, it was designed for the NYPD from Vertex. It was not “exclusive” to just the NYPD until about 2013-2014. Before that, the radio was accessible for purchase through dealers.

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
The VX-P949 was just issued to the 2019 NYPD Recruit Class... trying to get photos of it.... Im also hearing 3rd hand that the NYPD is trying to move to encryption, and this is why they are going to that radio?

4-crime

The VX-P949 was just issued to the 2019 NYPD Recruit Class... trying to get photos of it.... Im also hearing 3rd hand that the NYPD is trying to move to encryption, and this is why they are going to that radio?

This has been discussed in another forum thread. No one knows for sure what exactly would be encrypted.

tbailey_lb

The Dept is being issued these to patrol. Every channel has a encrypted and unencrypted channel. If I had to guess, the dept will be encrypted within the year, with some unencrypted channels. Leather holsters don’t have any branding. Just the date is was made. If anyone has questions. I can try to answer them.

Attachments

• E5BE2DFE-AB90-4433-BFDE-52EF57421D45.jpeg
    E5BE2DFE-AB90-4433-BFDE-52EF57421D45.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 25AB4B19-EBD6-4AC2-88FA-8AFD9EF394B6.jpeg
    25AB4B19-EBD6-4AC2-88FA-8AFD9EF394B6.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 958FF3AC-CB72-4F0B-AD7E-722E3A805DF2.jpeg
    958FF3AC-CB72-4F0B-AD7E-722E3A805DF2.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 298
  • FF7555C7-FEFB-4A2A-8378-05855E392BF5.jpeg
    FF7555C7-FEFB-4A2A-8378-05855E392BF5.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 289
  • 0477B83E-9E0E-419C-A2C3-8A0954EA8D26.jpeg
    0477B83E-9E0E-419C-A2C3-8A0954EA8D26.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 313

Danny37

The Dept is being issued these to patrol. Every channel has a encrypted and unencrypted channel. If I had to guess, the dept will be encrypted within the year, with some unencrypted channels. Leather holsters don’t have any branding. Just the date is was made. If anyone has questions. I can try to answer them.

Are the encrypted channels in the same bank as the clear channels? Or are they in separate banks?

K2NEC

Why does it still say Vertex even though it belongs under Moto?

Does it use the same accessories as the XPR/APX?

I guess it's like the APX900 in a way...

Danny37

It was mentioned in another thread but I think the vertex contract is still in effect and something about the equipment needs to have vertex branding.

It does looks like it's using the same battery as the xpr series.

4-crime

Do you have photos of the case for this?

Also, do you have a list of frequencies that will not be encrypted? As from what I can see from the display, all precincts will be encrypted.

Also, what boro are you in? I know they started issuing these to Brooklyn North Commands first.

Can you take a picture of the antenna? Doesn’t look OEM to me at first glance.

Last edited:

4-crime

It literally is an APX900 rebranded as the P949. There are no differences in hardware, or software for that matter. It uses APX cps.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It literally is an APX900 rebranded as the P949. There are no differences in hardware, or software for that matter. It uses APX cps.
There are some functionality differences, e.g. the VX-P949 is not capable of trunked operation, which the APX 900 obviously is.

Status
Not open for further replies.