• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR2500 Codeplug password help

Chevyman22360

Recently acquired a XPR2500 Vhf radio on Facebook. Bought the radio from a car dealer that traded a vehicle in. I don't have any idea who programmed it or who the original owners are. It has a codeplug password. I tried backing up the tuner and doing the recovery in the CPS software, but that also asks for a password before attempting recovery. Checked with dealer, he said $100/ hour and if needed to send to Motorola would be a charge of $425. Do I have any chance of going backwards with the firmware? If so, not sure where I can get it. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

hurricaneoleg

I'm in the same boat... Bought an XPR7550e and it has a password inside, asks for it every time the store I took it to told me. They said it would be $250 to "break it" but I don't want to break it, mainly because many people on this forum implied it could be stolen and so I contacted Motorola to find out for sure because I'd much rather have a legal resolution to this issue, free of hacking (or paying shady people who can't tell me what exactly is locked or how to unlock it).

I also hate the fact that they told me, straight-up, to sell it to them for $300 'for parts' and buy a brand new one, a different model called AR Seven or something like that for almost $2k with all the bells and whistles. They said they would give me another $200 'trade-in credit "if I decided to do it, refused to help in any other way though.

Can you ask that dealer what the password is? If he knows it this would probably make it much easier to accomplish.

a417

Can you ask that dealer what the password is? If he knows it this would probably make it much easier to accomplish.
The former owner might be the best person to ask.

[edit] I just read your various posts regarding this issue and this radio, you don't need to rehash it here.

good luck.

YL3IM

Hello and thank you for your attempt to help but it also asks for a password during recovery, mine did the same thing and the store said they need to hack it.
Can you please post a screenshot of a password being asked for?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hello and thank you for your attempt to help but it also asks for a password during recovery, mine did the same thing and the store said they need to hack it.
Please keep you’re password questions confined to one thread. Cross-posting is against the Radio Reference rules.

helmick43270

Hello, Chevyman22360, I assume you are trying a recover operation, using a codeplug (cp) appropriate for the radio, so that you can program the radio for your purposes. Hoping the XPR is not password write-protected (I don’t know if that’s possible), cloning has worked for me, using just the sample cp. It will write over a password read-protected cp. The firmware listed in the sample cp has to be the same as or older than the firmware reported in the tuning block extracted from the password-protected radio. That way, the sample cp will not ask the radio to do something it doesn’t know how to do. Using the sample cp to clone will not do anything to the firmware or tuning block in the radio, and you’ll be able to start from scratch on an accessible cp. I hope this helps. The sum total of my personal experience is one functioning XPR 6380.

Chevyman22360

I have tried to recovery and get the same codeplug password required. Tried cloning and get the same. There is no getting hold of previous owner, was told was from a rental vehicle. Don't know if getting ahold of Motorola if they could trace serial number back to dealer/owner? I will try to get a picture of the screen asking for password. Thanks for all replies!!