• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR2500 password issues

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
ok please forgive any spelling errors or grammar mistakes typing this on a phone…. here is the issues i recently inherited a local VFD radio program all of them are XPR2500 i went to update them and it’s asking for a password unfortunately the person that originally programmed the radios is no longer on this earth (that’s how i came in to this ). so i thought i just do a recovery and start from new…. no go…..it’s asking for a firmware version and codeplug version… before it will let me recover them…. how do i go about getting that.? there are approximately 20-25 units ( these radios are only 8 months old) that need fixed/updated….. I am running the Newest motorola CPS2.0 thanks early for any HELP in advance…

Kevin
Oklahoma

Reconrider

Welp the unfortate part is you'll never recover that codeplug without a passcode with forcing a new firmware and codeplug combo to it.

I would suggest you getting the xpr motorola tuner program and running the radio on it. See what FW it's on and report back - might have some options

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
well good news…. just got off the phone with Motorola Tech Support after speaking with a mototrbo support person he emailed me the fix for the issue… i will try it tomorrow and see if it works….. i had to give them the Firmware version of all radios thankfully all the same and the serial numbers of all effected radios 22 of them and he emailed me a file after confirming current account and Fire Department to bypass the software password….. thanks for any help or replies i will update tomorrow and let know if it works

Reconrider

Is this file you speak of a text file like a how to?
I've never had good like you did with chatting to moto about a radio I bought with a locked passcode on it.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
no sir it’s a exe file he said install open the latest version of 2.0 and i will be able to read the radios with issues…. it’s actually 22 of 25 radios….. i would do today but it’s 111 F heat index here in western oklahoma …… i agree on their support but after explaining what happened with the guy that had the password and all radios were legitimate this gentleman was very helpful with exception of hard to understand…..!

Reconrider

no sir it’s a exe file he said install open the latest version of 2.0 and i will be able to read the radios with issues…. it’s actually 22 of 25 radios….. i would do today but it’s 111 F heat index here in western oklahoma …… i agree on their support but after explaining what happened with the guy that had the password and all radios were legitimate this gentleman was very helpful with exception of hard to understand…..!
111 is crazy. I've only seen around 106 where I'm at and it wasn't for long. But then again east coast doesn't get those temps unless you're in SC and below.

I have an xpr that I can't get the passcode to. Same situation where the family member who owned it isn't here with us anymore. I don't want to wipe the radio since it has stuff only she had access to. If you wouldn't mind, do you think that file would work for my radio also? I can't get anything with moto as the radio isn't mine and they don't seem to care the person is passed on - seems they get that reason often.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
if it works ok…. i had to give serial numbers of the radios i’m wondering if it’s looking for them before letting it proceed? i will lock a radio tomorrow that i know the password to and see if it will bypass and let you know

Reconrider

if it works ok…. i had to give serial numbers of the radios i’m wondering if it’s looking for them before letting it proceed? i will lock a radio tomorrow that i know the password to and see if it will bypass and let you know
That'll be awesome. I might even be able to reverse engineer the program so I can get it to inject new serial numbers to get around it if it's serial number locked

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Moto has a password of the day feature where they can send you a password that will work for 24 hours once you prove ownership. Or, they can bypass it with special stuff. TT

Reconrider

Moto has a password of the day feature where they can send you a password that will work for 24 hours once you prove ownership. Or, they can bypass it with special stuff. TT
Radio was given to me before a person passed away. I have no paperwork on the radio to show ownership