• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorolla programming issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon604

hi im tying to get set up to program a motorolla cm300 deck radio and a motorolla ht1250 handheld radio i have maxton usb programming cables with drivers i have cps 5.12 for the cm300 and global tuner 2.15.00 for the ht1250 when i try and read the ht1250 hanheld i get a message that says read radio failed all softpot operational data is invalid please re read radio and the cps for the cm300 says error #512 unable to read check to see radio is connected radio is powered on and com port setting is correct ive tried all the usb port as well as 2 different computers one windows 8 machine and one windows xp anybdy have any ideas why ?

jon604

Programming software will not communicate with radios cps version 5.12 for motorolla cm300 and global tuner version 2.15 maxton brand cables drivers appear to be properly installed but they wont communicate

jon604

I dont know if its the wrong software or wrong cables thats what im trying to find out

XTS3000

Double huh!? From your gibberish incoherent post, sounds like you don't have the proper software OR proper programming cable(s).

Until you can type a proper sentence, using periods/commas, were going to have a hard time 'deciphering' what your trying to convey.

Good luck.

rochele1

i'm not expert but i learnt programming radios practically , the best suggestion i have for you is to use DOS not windows , because windows has control over com ports

jon604

Im sorry i don't know how to make it any clearer for you. It has radio model, make, software type, software versions, cable brand, and the problem im having

Nasby

Those 2 radios require different software for programming. You can't use CPS designed for the HT1250 on a GM300.

Also, most programmers recommend using real Motorola cables for programming. Perhaps even cables with a serial port connector.

Not sure if this answered your question or not.

jon604

Double huh!? From your gibberish incoherent post, sounds like you don't have the proper software OR proper programming cable(s).

Until you can type a proper sentence, using periods/commas, were going to have a hard time 'deciphering' what your trying to convey.

Good luck.

Those 2 radios require different software for programming. You can't use CPS designed for the HT1250 on a GM300.

Also, most programmers recommend using real Motorola cables for programming. Perhaps even cables with a serial port connector.

Not sure if this answered your question or not.
That helps some the radio tech i have been dealing with had said that the cps was for the Cm300 deck radio any suggestions on where to get motorolla cables?

tcb0001

Motorola Programming

Each level of Motorola radio requires specific software.
Assuming you have the designated software for each you will also need the specific programing cables and, if necessary the radio interface box (RIB). I suspect RIBs and some cables are becoming available on the internet.
Beware that GP300s are generally not Narrow Banded and require a new board to do so. Some of those are useable in the Amateur Radio service but are no longer legal in any other service. Still great for listening only. Most newer models are software programmable. I don't know about the HT series. I work mostly with Radius.
GP series radio software will only run under pure DOS. DOS that comes with 98 or newer systems will not work. Newer radios such as the 1225 series will only program with Windows 98. Nothing newer, CP series work with XP and 7, so do PRs, haven't tried 8. My dedicated programming machine has all 3 operating systems on it.

Good luck

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Several of you have mistakenly referred to one of the OP's radios as a GM300 or GP300. Folks, it is a:

CM300 which is a radio from the Commercial Series and would require RVN4191 CPS for programming. The current version of that CPS is R05.18.

So the OP has been told here that he either needs DOS or nothing newer than XP, both of which are wrong and misleading. The software for both the Professional and Commercial series of radios will run just on newer machines. Let's try to be correct and accurate with our advice and information.

Last edited:

RadioGuy7268

OP -- suggest you take a trip over to batlabs.com and read up on their primer for programming radios. Most of the people above gave you some terrible suggestions.

The CM300 uses a similar looking cable to the unit that does 90% of the other mobile radios in the Motorola fleet, but for the CM300/PM400 platform, you must use a box that switches the pinouts, or use a different cable. The CM300/PM400 platform is unique. I am not familiar with the Maxton cables - so I can' t tell you what you've got.

Yes, as mentioned by SteveC, you can most certainly use a windows based computer for any of the current radios using CPS. If you're using an aftermarket cable setup that runs off a USB plug, you're going to have to play around a bit with the port settings to make sure it works right. It sounds like you've already loaded the aftermarket USB drivers, but make sure the CPS software is pointing to that comm port.

Good luck to you.

Current Commercial series CPS software for the CM300 is: 05.18

Current Professional series CPS for the HT1250 is: 06.12.09

Your "Tuner" software will not program a codeplug or frequencies. The tuner software is to change power levels, frequency tuning ( to align a radio that is off freq), and other settings that used to require a tuning stick back in the day.

com501

The Maxton cable will not load nor work correctly in XP. The CPS will not work (your version 5.12) in Windows 8. Version 5.12 will run just fine in Windows XP to program the CM300.

To program the CM300 you will need a ribless RJ45 programming cable with the adapter for the CM300 or you can typically buy an aftermarket adapter off of eBay or 'roll your own'. The adapter reverses two pins on the programming lead from the 'standard' Maxtrac style ribless programming cable. For your XP computer, hopefully it has a hard serial port, if not you will need a good USB to serial adapter and configure it to use COM 1.

You will need to purchase CPS for your HT1250 or find someone who will let you use their computer or program the radio for you. As state earlier, the current CPS is R06.12.09.

If your CM300 'dash mount' radio has been programmed with something newer than the version of CPS you have, you will need to purchase the newest CPS also, R05.18.

Status
Not open for further replies.