• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mototrbo Firmware R02.20.01.0002

Status
Not open for further replies.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Trying to updated from 02.10 to latest firmware. CPS2 giving error saying the software management update policy enabled on device has expired and is not entitled to be updated to the specified firmware version. Radio is brand new.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Yes its the new subscription based firmware management. You have to pay for firmware updates.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I thought the new ones have 5 year essential service package or is that something specifically need to select? My december 2018 XPR7550e still on R2.09 but has warranty until 2023 according to the serial number check and is an enabled model. I thought software updates was part of the deal with the essential service plan

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I thought the new ones have 5 year essential service package or is that something specifically need to select? My december 2018 XPR7550e still on R2.09 but has warranty until 2023 according to the serial number check and is an enabled model. I thought software updates was part of the deal with the essential service plan

If you're just using it for Amateur radio I'd stay at 2.09. No benefit at all to updating.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
If you're just using it for Amateur radio I'd stay at 2.09. No benefit at all to updating.
I'd wish they'd tell that to hams on the DMR network. Hoping they update to 2.09 that is. That and AGC and whatever else. I cant stand ham DMR, the audio is all over the place, even with RX audio leveling on my own rig I cant imagine what its like without. We have this great digital format but holy crap the audio is a lot to be desired

romanr

… I cant stand ham DMR, the audio is all over the place, even with RX audio leveling on my own rig I cant imagine what its like without. We have this great digital format but holy crap the audio is a lot to be desired
I could not agree more.

I added the local ham DMR repeater to an XPR7550e for kicks. If that was my only experience with DMR I am not sure I would ever consider it. Some of those stations sound like an exercise in how bad can you make it...

N4KVE

I'd wish they'd tell that to hams on the DMR network. Hoping they update to 2.09 that is. That and AGC and whatever else. I cant stand ham DMR, the audio is all over the place, even with RX audio leveling on my own rig I cant imagine what its like without. We have this great digital format but holy crap the audio is a lot to be desired
The cause of that is all the $75 CCR’s, & people using hot spots. Our network consists of mostly Moto, & Hytera radios, & no hot spots, & the audio is great. Most of our local repeaters do not have hot spots because we’re not affiliated with Brandmeister or anything. The one repeater that does have Brandmeister, & has hot spots sounds terrible, & I constantly have to nuisance delete it from the scan list. That’s the problem.

Firebuff880

Trying to updated from 02.10 to latest firmware. CPS2 giving error saying the software management update policy enabled on device has expired and is not entitled to be updated to the specified firmware version. Radio is brand new.

So this thread has gotten way off topic !

But to answer the OP question. If the subscriber was new after June 18, 2018 then there is no charge to move forward as I understand it, but you still need to have a dealer submit the data (ModelNumber, SerialNumber, FirmwareVersion) and get the serial number authorized. Then you can go through the update process with the new RM and CPS (2.24.200.n) It is more than just having the firmware installed on the system and you do have to be on 2.10.n before you can forward..

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

Yep, drives me nuts. How hard is it to go to the online VU meter and check your audio level! Or go to a parrot channel and check. Most hams I encounter on DMR are appliance operators that have not one single clue how to program a DMR channel into their own radio. Bridgecomm doesn't help things by offering up all the turn it on and go packages! I will never buy anything from those clowns.

I thought being a licensed amateur operator required that one be proficient in all aspects operating their own radio equipment. In my opinion that would include programming the radio as it has a big effect on the final product being put on the air. Good grief!

Edit: Yep way off...sorry couldn't help myself.

N4KVE

Yep, drives me nuts. How hard is it to go to the online VU meter and check your audio level!
And then what? This is a Motorola forum, & Motorola radios are capable of adjusting mic gain, or turning on AGC. But the Dollar Store radios most people seem to be buying do not offer these features. So if these “appliance operators” look at the VU meter, & see they’re way too loud, there’s no adjustmenot to correct it. A system is only as good as it’s weakest link.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
So this thread has gotten way off topic !

But to answer the OP question. If the subscriber was new after June 18, 2018 then there is no charge to move forward as I understand it, but you still need to have a dealer submit the data (ModelNumber, SerialNumber, FirmwareVersion) and get the serial number authorized. Then you can go through the update process with the new RM and CPS (2.24.200.n) It is more than just having the firmware installed on the system and you do have to be on 2.10.n before you can forward..

When and what version exactly does the software phone home to motorola? I dont have the new stuff but when did this start to become a validation thing

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
And then what? This is a Motorola forum, & Motorola radios are capable of adjusting mic gain, or turning on AGC. But the Dollar Store radios most people seem to be buying do not offer these features. So if these “appliance operators” look at the VU meter, & see they’re way too loud, there’s no adjustmenot to correct it. A system is only as good as it’s weakest link.

Some of the dollar store radios have mic gain adjustment. I know some folks who just pay attention when speaking into the radio and know how far away to be from the mic for acceptable audio level. It's crude but it works. On the other hand, I know folks with XPR 5550 and 7550 radios that complain about audio levels all over the place but their too cheap to spend $3.00 on the audio leveling entitlement. Then they eat the mic with the gain cranked all the way up and blow everyone with a dollar store radio out of their chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.