Mount Rushmore/Rapid City

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanrrman

Hey SD! I live in Missouri and planning on a vacation to Mount Rushmore over Memorial Day weekend. I've been looking over the database for the state and know they use p25 all across the state. I am educated in p25 but not like the system that the state is using and am asking for a little help in programming if anyone could be of assistance. I know I will be staying about 30miles south of Rapid City. I have a uniden 396 which is capable of scanning the area. However, I do not know how to go about programming the systems needed to scan the area. Can anyone help me out? Does anyone live in the immediate vicinity? Do I just program the towers that are near and each tower as its own system with all talkgroups duplicated for each tower. Thank you for any help that can be offered. I know its a couple months away but I'd like to get all the kinks worked out. Thanks again!!

scanrrman

And are they still using all the analog frequencies that are in the database for Pennington County and all surrounding counties or do they run off the state system? I figure I can program all the p25 into my 396 and all analog into my 97.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
scanrrman said:
And are they still using all the analog frequencies that are in the database for Pennington County and all surrounding counties or do they run off the state system? I figure I can program all the p25 into my 396 and all analog into my 97.

Most city and county entities in the Black Hills area still use analog. State HPs and DOT use digital. Many cities and counties in the east have fully switched to digital. But around Rapid you can still hear plenty on analog.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Look in the FILES section of the BCD396T Yahoo group. There you will find a zip file of UASD files for the state system.

scanrrman

I registered and joined the group. Can't make heads or tails of how to get to what I need. It's set up way different then this site is. Would it just be best to program the towers that I'm going to be near into my 396 and then program all analog into my 97??

scanrrman

Thanks, that helps with the rapid city area but I'd like to listen to any surrounding agencies too. Any other help??? Besides the database? Is the database current on everything as far as anyone knows???

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scanrrman said:
I registered and joined the group. Can't make heads or tails of how to get to what I need. It's set up way different then this site is. Would it just be best to program the towers that I'm going to be near into my 396 and then program all analog into my 97??
In the files section, go to the UASD/MEM files folder, then to the UASD section; scroll to the bottom and you will see a ZIP file of all the towers in the SD System. Use the ZIP file and those towers that you want to. You can combine some but just make sure the ones you combine are not adjacent to each other, if you pick and choose correctly you probably can reduce the total to 3 or 4 systems. Those are all individual systems but with notepad and a map you can pick and choose what you want and combine what makes sense.

A warning, it is illegal under state law to have a scanner in your car unless you have prior permission or an amateur license.

scanrrman

loumaag said:
A warning, it is illegal under state law to have a scanner in your car unless you have prior permission or an amateur license.
Even if I'm on vacation and wanting to take it along to listen while I'm at the "hotel"?? Will they write a ticket or straight confiscate it? Not trying to make a big deal or anything, sorry. How do I go about getting prior permission? Thanks for the help on the files.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scanrrman said:
Even if I'm on vacation and wanting to take it along to listen while I'm at the "hotel"?? Will they write a ticket or straight confiscate it? Not trying to make a big deal or anything, sorry. How do I go about getting prior permission? Thanks for the help on the files.
Coming from out of state, don't even try for a permit. They have to be issued by the state attorney general or "local" (read county) law enforcement (sheriff) and upon review I realized they are only valid for fixed monitors in places of business. Don't bother.

Keep the scanner in the trunk, or packed in your luggage, and you won't have a problem. You can indeed have a scanner in SD, you just can't have one in the vehicle or a business without permission. A licensed amateur radio license excepts the holder from the entire section of the SD statue. Take a look at the subsections of SD Statute 23-4, they are pretty easy to understand.

A friend in Sisseton (NE corner of the state) had his Pro-96 taken out of his vehicle last December, because the deputy saw it in the vehicle even though it was not on. (I told him to get a Ham license when I was living there, he didn't listen.) :confused:

scanrrman

GEEEEZZZZ!!!!!!! I'd shove it up my A@# before I let it get taken from me!!! Seriously!!
I've got till the end of may before I go, I think it'd be nice if I got a license anyway. I'll start looking into it. Thanks again. Where do I go to get one of those books to study for the test and does it cost??. I've been working so many hours lately I don't have time to do anything but that would be worth my time.

hankv

scanrrman said:
Where do I go to get one of those books to study for the test and does it cost??. I've been working so many hours lately I don't have time to do anything but that would be worth my time.

Several web sites come to mind: ARRL and QRZ seem to be popular.

There are also several sites that you can take practice tests with the actual questions. I prefer this one, because it keeps track of your answers, and makes sure you eventually see ALL the questions.

JLM7424

re : scanners in SD/ i live here

I would like to start by telling the R R database is very good. you should try the
butel arc-396 software it will download data from RR. straight into your 396
yes program your 396 with individual towers p25 auto 7 or 8 works best

now! i live in sioux falls,sd i ,am a over the road trucker and i carry my bc996 in my truck!
sd will not ! write you a ticket for your scanner! unless!!! you are a prior convicted felon
in the last 10 years. however aberdeen,sd has a real problem with scanners
and they are illegal their period..

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/laws/scanner/sd.html
paste this in and check it out

butel http://www.butel.nl/
i would get the pro software myself
like i said it will take data straigt from radioreference db and put it into the software for you
you will need to donate /buy a radio reference account for ? 20-30 dollars

scanners for travel: are totally illegal in indiana some problems in new york
south dakota -south to texas and all western states are ok including iowa
nebraska north dakota.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
jlm7424 said:
...i ,am a over the road trucker and i carry my bc996 in my truck!
sd will not ! write you a ticket for your scanner! ...
Actually this statement is true as the law does not provide this offense as a "ticket-able" offense. However even the link you provided shows that under SD 23-4-5 possession of a mobile scanner is grounds for confiscation of the radio.
jlm7424 said:
however aberdeen,sd has a real problem with scanners
and they are illegal their (sic) period..
I assume you mean that scanners are illegal in Aberdeen. First, the official who went on a tear about scanners was removed from office over 3 years ago for official improprieties. Second, it is no more illegal in Brown Co. than anywhere else in the state to have a scanner in a vehicle.

Now you can have your opinion and you can continue to travel around the state with your $500+ scanner in your truck, but one day a deputy or state law enforcement official will spot it and take it away. I spent a bit of time in SD, and due to my position on this web site, I attracted a bit of attention from state as well as local officials; I know (based on your bad advice) that I am more familiar with what can happen (indeed will happen) than you. While I don't care what happens to you (since you should know better), I do care that you don't pass out bad advice and in regard to the laws of SD, your advice (given above) is dead wrong.

scanrrman

I don't want to break the law or saying screw it, I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to take it with me that way I can listen at the hotel, that's it. I will package it carefully and far, far away from prying eyes. Back to programming the towers. I don't want to get anymore software. UASD is just perfect for me. Is this correct???? I program the Custer Co. tower and then program all the talkgroups for the HP/County/City as ONE system and then do the same for every other tower in the area???? It just doesn't seem right. That's a lot of scanning and slow scanning at that to listen. I'm just looking for a simple example on how to go about programming it in since I've never programmed a system like this before. I listen to a 700mhz p25 trunked system but nothing like this. But from what I gather so far, it's just HP that is using the digital system and that I can program all analog freqs from City/Counties in the area and still get hits. I can do it fine, I just want a starting point or reference to go about programming. Thanks though so far. I don't want to be a pain or seem like a newb. I am a newb in respects of this kind of system. Thanks again!!!!

JLM7424

well loumaag

I,am sorry to have to be arguementive with you but ! you are dead wrong
sir i have checked with the d.o.t offices in every state i nornally travel
in and scanners are not illegal in vehicle including commercial
i have checked with - 3 - sd hp officers and it not a problem
in south dakota so long as you have not been convicted of a felony in the last 10 years
and you do not use it to commit one either they are leagl

per offcr. trooper heeren sd hp-107

trooper millard sd hp-108

trooper zimmer sd hp-188

JLM7424

you have me curious lou maag, you said with the time you spent in S.Dakota
reguarding this website ? what were you doing here in sd with the site that
makes you such an authoritive source of info on S.Dakota

your semi retired, you have me curious from what ?

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
SD Scanner Law

The problem with the South Dakota scanner law is its ambiguity. You and Loumag are both correct, depending upon which sentences of the law you focus on. What the law appears to intend is that it's a punnishable crime to have a scanner if you're a convicted felon, but that a scanner can be confiscated unless you have an amateur license (which is odd, since being a ham has little relevance to scanning police frequencies).

I'm not surprised that some officers interpret the law the way you do, i.e. are not looking for scanners to confiscate. But the law does allow scanners to be confiscated from all non-hams, and some officers have interpreted it that way and gotten away with it. Having a scanner in your vehicle is clearly a risk unless you have a ham license.

So your point is well taken, sir, but Loumag is far from "dead wrong." He knows what the law says and how it has been applied in certain cases. I keep my ham license and a copy of the SD law in my vehicle at all times just to be on the safe side.

-Tim

jlm7424 said:
I,am sorry to have to be arguementive with you but ! you are dead wrong
sir i have checked with the d.o.t offices in every state i nornally travel
in and scanners are not illegal in vehicle including commercial
i have checked with - 3 - sd hp officers and it not a problem
in south dakota so long as you have not been convicted of a felony in the last 10 years
and you do not use it to commit one either they are leagl

per offcr. trooper heeren sd hp-107

trooper millard sd hp-108

trooper zimmer sd hp-188

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
First, I fixed the triple post problem you had.
jlm7424 said:
you have me curious lou maag, you said with the time you spent in S.Dakota
reguarding this website ? what were you doing here in sd with the site that
makes you such an authoritive source of info on S.Dakota

your semi retired, you have me curious from what ?
Well, I have been a staff member of RadioReference since before it was public (February 28, 2004) and a staff member of it's antecedent (trunkedradio.net). My current state of semi-retirement is from IT work (I am/was a systems programmer). What I was doing in SD is no mystery, my wife had a contract working in the IHS Hospital ER in Sisseton. We were there for about 17 months. As you well know, SD is a close knit community, especially in the rural areas. In any case, my position (here on RR), and the fact that I was both expanding and cleaning up the data in the RR Database for the SD State TRS came to the attention of the SD BIT. They arranged to have a couple of DCI guys come over for a chat. Since I also have a background in law enforcement (from many years ago) we got along quite well and after I explained that the data being published on RR was legally obtained by monitoring (in other words there were no leaks in BIT or elsewhere providing information) we parted on good terms.

In regards to your thoughts on how safe your scanner is in the truck (indeed any vehicle). If you ever head north up I-29, when you get to Roberts Co., I suggest you avoid Deputy McClellan or it will an expensive meeting. theaton points out the ambiguity of the law, if you look back at my previous posts, I agreed with you that there is no criminal act associated with a scanner in a vehicle, but that they can be (and will be) confiscated and that will be the end of it. You will be out $500+ and there will be nothing you can do about it.

JLM7424

ok peace.

i never go to roberts county anyway i will stick to my aquainted law enforcement freinds
besides when i get my ham ticket then it really wont matter
however i,am not getting my amature lic just for that. have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.