Move CoMIRS From Individual County Trunk List to Areawide Trunks?

nikronzo

I can tell you with 110% certainty that Worcester simulcast is Motorola base station everything from the GTR base stations to the MCC7500 consoles.

The only Harris trunking you'll find in Mass these days is gonna be the new MBTA system, which I am very excited for but thats a conversation for a different day.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
IIRC, P25 is an open standard, but not open source. Harris equipment can operate on a Motorola core and vice versa. There is some loss of proprietary features. My recollection is that Worcester choose Harris to replace their existing EDACS system. Maybe not, and I'm not that interested that I will dig through years of posts here and on Scan New England to confirm.
Gary, I can tell you with utmost certainty that if @nikronzo says the consoles are Motorola, they are Motorola. No need to scroll through anything and "confirm it".

mrsvensven

You are aware that it's the *SAME* exact system that is the SmartZone system, right? That makes the statement (except for Nantucket/Dukes) completely incorrect. You can hear traffic on COMIRS talkgroups on SmartZone sites and vice versa if they are turned on/allowed on those sites. Same reason why you hear B-PTL-# on both Troop C and Troop B (P25). CoMIRS is in fact statewide and not limited to those counties - RR rules or not, that's just not "how it works" in reality.
I can confirm that this statement is 100% correct. If you find any actual official documentation out there (not that CoMIRS publishes much), they refer to the whole system as CoMIRS and that name encompasses both the analog and digital sites.

Smartx isn't a core, it's an analog to digital converter that lets you plug an analog trunked site into a digital core. That same core that hosts analog smartx sites can also host digital sites.

Notice that the site numbers for the analog sites go up into the low 20s and the digital site numbers start after that. They can't have the same site number for an analog and digital site because they are connected to the same core.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
So I am going to tell you the official Radio Reference policy, and this is why I will not be changing the way the system is configured.... yet.

Radio Reference policy is that a trunking system will be listed in the counties in which the transmitters/repeaters exist. Right now, there are no CoMIRS transmitters in Bristol, Plymouth, Dukes, Nantucket, Barnstable, or Essex Counties. So thus, there is no coverage into those counties.

When CoMIRS expands beyond the present seven counties, and coverage begins, then the system will be added to those counties. When the system statewide turns on, then it will be changed. (Read: When the buildout is complete.)

You are free to adjust your monitoring of your scanner to hear it outside of the area, using the favorites lists. But that is the official policy.
I don't think people are having any trouble adding it to their scanners now as it is.

Mike is correct. RR policy is that a system is not listed as statewide until it can truly, legitimately be heard throughout the state; if it can only be heard in some areas by sheer luck, or a bigger antenna, the tide is in or out, or if the wind is blowing the right way, then it's not truly statewide and won't be listed as such.

The same is true for any frequency or system.

Tom WA8PYR