Moved and updated for Christmas 2022 N9JIG Office shack

blueknightnyv

Sure!

I use the External Speaker jacks on the back of the radios. I tried the headphone jacks but the audio sounded poor. I used the Line In jacks on the mixer.

I bought some custom-made audio cables to connect them (https://www.ebay.com/itm/184661498929). These cables have right-angle 1/4 inch mono plugs for the mixer and straight 1/8 inch mono plugs for the radios. The right-angle plugs on the mixer end allow the cables to route to the rear and then down for better cable management.

For the output audio I use a set of amplified computer speakers connected to the "2-Track Output" jacks with a set of right-angle RCA adapters to a RCA to 1/8 stereo adapter cable. This arrangement allows me to use the speaker volume control and (more importantly) it''s headphone jack. This provides an easy to access place to connect the headphones to when I want to listen without bothering the family.

I can also adjust the overall volume with the "Main Mix" sliders. I can adjust the individual radio volumes with the sliders for each input. I normally leave the radio volumes set at "V=12" (as shown on the radio display) to provide a standard input level to the mixer and use the individual sliders to make fine adjustments in the volume.

Since I log activity with ProScan, ARC-xx and Pro96Com I leave the radios on all the time and usually just turn off the mixer at night. I have the radio display settings set to Open Squelch so that the display lights pop up when active, this allows me to quickly glance over and see the active radio.

Years ago a company called New Communications Systems made a 6-channel mixer called the NCS-3230. These are hard to find, I have been drooling over this for years. If they made it with 8-12 inputs in a rack-mountable enclosure I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

If I had to do it again I would have probably looked a little deeper and purchased a mixer with a smaller footprint. The X2222USB inclides rack rails and can be rack-mounted but requires 8u of space. If I could find a unit that does what I need in a 4u box I would probably snag it.
There's a NCS-3230 for sale on ebay, but I don't know about that price.....lol

blueknightnyv

JimD56 wrote:

Yes - this Behringer mixer was on run-out at a ridiculously low price.
View attachment 133972
It has 8 line level inputs which can be plugged in to the mono or stereo inputs - if you plug in to the mono inputs then you can make the output all left, all right or somewhere in between so you can make a stereo 'sound stage' with the balance controls on each input. I feed the stereo line output to a 15watt amplifier and a pair of small speakers.
View attachment 133973
All the inputs have level, balance and monitor controls - the monitor output is another stereo output which I feed to "ScanRec" on an old computer with another pair of speakers.

If you can find one - grab it!
Is this the mixer......

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Is this the mixer......

Yup, that's it. Just picked it up on Amazon. I will post pics and the layout once it's added to the shack. Getting a new powered studio monitor speaker as well. This model allows both mixing of sound and "Shutting OFF" each individual radio/scanner" for a lot less than $650. Thanks for the inspiration Rich N9JIG

tip

Premium Subscriber
I'm currently using the Zetron M27 Receiver Monitor, inputting audio from up to 5 scanners, and an SDR (via computer output). The Zetron takes up 3U of space in my kit.

Can the same be accomplished using the 1U Behringer RX1602 V2 Line Mixer, albeit minus the speaker? If so what is the recommendation of audio speaker to use.

I could use the extra 2U of space this setup would provide. TIA for info and suggestions.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich, I don't see the powersupply unit for the Zetron 27, how are you powering that? There are some of EBay, none of them appear to come with a power supply.
I don't have a Model 27 but there is a connector on the back for 12VDC, pretty typical for communications gear like this.

northwoods

By federal law an HOA cannot restrict OTA TV antennas, and no sizes are mentioned. If one were to install a suitable antenna, say a Discone, and connect it to a TV, who is to say it couldn't also be used for a scanner?
From Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g., maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

radio3353

From Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g., maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

Why is the word 'transmit' in this rule if the rule is about over-the-air reception and receiving antennas?

tip

Premium Subscriber
Rich, I don't see the powersupply unit for the Zetron 27, how are you powering that? There are some of EBay, none of them appear to come with a power supply.
Thats me with th 27... as Rich said, 12vdc. Using dc distribution w/power supply that powers all radios and the 27.