MSP Low Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Was just curious if at some point RR had any intentions of deleting the old MSP low band frequencies ? I think it’s safe to say they aren’t used anymore.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
They may not get much use these days, But certainly are kept as a backup. They shouldn't be deleted until they are confirmed to no longer be maintained as a backup. IMHO

atlong

Database Admin
FIRST system is still not completely built out yet. As others have mentioned until they're officially decommissioned, they should stay. Example, Montgomery County Rockville MSP Barracks is not yet officially on FIRST, but they do use the MoCo TRS.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's very easy to mistakenly think that a MSP VHF lo channel is dead. That system is all simplex (making them harder to hear without a decent antenna), and they aren't chatty.

Mike

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I guess the barracks still have the base stations but it’s been a LONG time since I’ve seen them in a curser.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
More than one central transmitter station have been removed from tower sites...

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
FIRST system is still not completely built out yet. As others have mentioned until they're officially decommissioned, they should stay. Example, Montgomery County Rockville MSP Barracks is not yet officially on FIRST, but they do use the MoCo TRS.

Yes, but thats not a low band frequency or system lol

Southern Maryland is doing this as well all (800 systems) (Operating on the counties systems) What I can say is at Barrack T though the equipment still might be there it’s no longer in use and not on. There was an issue with interference with consoles a while back. During that time the low band radios and antennas were being yanked out of the cruisers and the powers that be said there was no need to fix it ending the days of the low band simulcasting there. I was bummed as a scanner enthusiast.

39.920 was my favorite (not many people knew about that one) ahhh the things you’d hear from the officers prior or after doing traffic stops or just talking to each other. A lot of them thought we’ll I’m not talking to the barrack so they and others can’t hear me. Wrong !

And it shouldn’t be too much longer until First is up in Montgomery County

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but thats not a low band frequency or system lol

Southern Maryland is doing this as well all (800 systems) (Operating on the counties systems) What I can say is at Barrack T though the equipment still might be there it’s no longer in use and not on. There was an issue with interference with consoles a while back. During that time the low band radios and antennas were being yanked out of the cruisers and the powers that be said there was no need to fix it ending the days of the low band simulcasting there. I was bummed as a scanner enthusiast.

39.920 was my favorite (not many people knew about that one) ahhh the things you’d hear from the officers prior or after doing traffic stops or just talking to each other. A lot of them thought we’ll I’m not talking to the barrack so they and others can’t hear me. Wrong !

And it shouldn’t be too much longer until First is up in Montgomery County
Spring 2022 is the new go-live date, mostly due to backhaul issues.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
ALL MSP LOW BAND IS GONE.

There is no infrastructure to support it, as all base stations have been removed from tower sites as previously stated in another thread and most vehicles the low band radios are gone and the 700 mobiles are in. All MSP barracks are either on MD FIRST or on the County trunked system that they are in.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Are any of the high VHF frequencies, such as 155.19 barrack to barrack and 159.405 special tac assault team, still in use? What about the UHF executive protection frequencies?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Are any of the high VHF frequencies, such as 155.19 barrack to barrack and 159.405 special tac assault team, still in use? What about the UHF executive protection frequencies?
I would imagine there are non-trs frequencies still in use for special units, but the protection detail routinely uses FIRST when in Annapolis. One *could* check the FCC database to verify their license status.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I just made an update request for Calvert County and it seems that dtscho wants to keep those frequencies in the database as backups. I'm hoping that page gets a complete makeover since many of the county systems listed are no longer in service and FiRST isn't even listed.
Is the FIRST Calvert site carrying live traffic yet? If it is, it should be in the listing for Calvert County.

Status
Not open for further replies.