• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MT2000 RSS 06.07.00 Problem...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EindhovenOne

I was programming my friends MT2000 last night/early this morning and got all 48 channels entered and clicked to program the data to the radio but I received an error message that stated the target radio is not capable of 2.5kHz spacing, please upgrade the firmware. The only problem is that none of the channels that I entered would require that spacing whatsoever in the first place and we have both been over all 48 channels and the settings for each three times just to make sure that I didn't type something in incorrectly. I cannot figure out why I am receiving this error. Please help. Thanks.

fineshot1

If this is for VHF-Hi band then probably one or more of the freqs you entered is not on a valid channel boundary and the software knows it. Its probably been more then ten years since this software program code was written and I believe there have been revisions in portions of the VHF-Hi band as to valid channel boundaries. If its UHF it may be a similar issue as many changes have been made over the years.

An example of this is the frequency of 154.9275

Before the changes were made the valid channels were on either side of this freq(154.920 & 154.935).
The original channel boundaries used to be at 15Khz intervals for most of the band but now some portions it is 7.5Khz

You will have to go through each channel and try and identify which one or ones the software thinks is NOT on a valid channel boundary.

That's my theory. Good luck & post back if you figure it out.

EindhovenOne

It is VHF High but the only problem is that there are no channels that meet that specification whatsoever. In my MTS2000 there are but I use CPS on a different machine. For any MT2000s that I program I use RSS on a boot to DOS machine. None of the frequencies I am trying to program into this MT2000 go past XXX.XXX

fineshot1

Have you successfully read and wrote this radio's codeplug before with this version of RSS?

The only other idea I can come up with is that this particular radio may be an early model
with firmware that is not compatable with the later RSS version you are using.

Strange things can happen when you have a firmware/RSS mismatch.

You may need to try a very early version of RSS and see if the error is bypassed.

EindhovenOne

So after talking to Motorola RSS support here is what I figured out. Because the firmware version of this particular MT2000 is so early, it cannot do 2.5kHz spacing, which is something I had thought all along after getting the initial error and that's why I removed the 5 channels that I had initially put into the codeplug file that required such spacing and given me the error in the first place. However, it turns out that the RSS has some ridiculous memory and even though I removed said 2.5kHz spacing channels, it still thought that they were there no matter what I did, hence why I kept receiving the error. What I ended up having to do is take another MT2000 and load its good codeplug and then start all over, making sure not to enter any channels that would require the 2.5kHz spacing. After I did that, everything wrote to the radio with no worries. Also, just a heads up for everyone working with RSS or CPS, a low RIB battery or a low radio battery will give you some very crazy, very scary error messages that make you think some horrible things went wrong. Even if you get a fail code on the radio's LCD and it is listed as a fatal error, change out the batteries and try writing the codeplug again. Good luck and thanks for the help.

fineshot1

Also, just a heads up for everyone working with RSS or CPS, a low RIB battery or a low radio battery will give you some very crazy, very scary error messages that make you think some horrible things went wrong. Even if you get a fail code on the radio's LCD and it is listed as a fatal error, change out the batteries and try writing the codeplug again. Good luck and thanks for the help.

If you had mentioned the low bat warning I would have mentioned that to you. I have had that happen to me also. Good that you got it straightened out - your welcome & good luck & be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.