• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS2000 Programming Need help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldRaider76

I was given 20 MTS2000 units and a 6 bay charger. I have charged all the radios and all appear to be working well and batteries holding a charge. I am new to these radios and need advice on how to program them. What cable and software are needed? Any other help and advice is appreciated. Jcrowell@centramedia.net

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well, that's a pretty tall order.

Before we get into the "how" part, there's some info we need.

We'd need to know the exact model number of the radio. It'll be on the back of the radio and will start with H01.....
That'll tell us what frequency band they are on.

Then, well need to know what you are licensed for. Your FCC license will tell us where these can be legally programmed. You cannot legally use these radios without an FCC license. There are no "license free" bands that these radios can be used on.

Once we have that, we'd need to know what your skill level is, what your budget is, and how much effort you would feel comfortable putting into this.

Programming these radios isn't easy. If you haven't programmed professional 2 way radios before, this isn't the model to start on. Its not impossible to do, but it's not easy, and it's not easy for the first timer.

Programming will require a PC, the correct software and the correct programming cable.
In some cases, it might make a lot more sense to just pay a radio shop to do it for you. Not only will it save you the cost of having to purchase the software and cables, it'll save a lot of headaches.

But, before we get too far into this, the model number and your FCC call sign will tell us enough to get started.

OldRaider76

My Amateur license call you s KE5GFJ
These are Motorola MTS2000 Flashport model# HO1KD09PW1BN.
I would like to program the radios to use on 2 meter repeaters and GMRS.
I will have to apply for the GMRS license.
Past experience was with Bendix King 15 channel programmable handhelds and Icom IC-T2A handhelds as well as several models of Yaesu amateur mobile radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The H01Kxxxx are VHF models, they'll natively do down to 146MHz.
Good for 2 meters, not good for GMRS. You'll need a UHF model to do GMRS.

These are pretty decent radios. The issue that usually crops up with them is that the LCD screen will start losing pixels. Other issue was the antenna jack would come loose and the solder joint would break.

To program them, you'll need a PC running the Motorola software. The -legal- place to get the software is from Motorola. They are pretty strict with the software licensing. You may be able to find it with a good web search, but I'm not telling you to do that. Not telling you not to either.

You'll need a programming cable, too.
The usual way of doing this is to purchase a RIB (Radio Interface Box). That was a common unit that Motorola sold that converted from RS-232 to TTL to talk to the radio. You'd then purchase a RIB to Radio cable.
It's much easier to go on e-Bay and purchase the cable with the built in RIB. Cheaper way to do it, and if you get a good one, it'll work well.

Programming is a challenge, and I won't go into that until you have the software in hand.
Since these radios are already programmed, you might do well by just reading the radio and making the changes you need.

You'll likely be able to program these down to 144, but I don't recall the procedure for these. Batwing Laboratories can be a good source of info.

Durable radios with a wide selection of accessories. Lots of them still in service. If well taken care of, you scored big. Batteries will run you $35 or more each, depending on what brand you buy. I'd always had good luck with the Honeywell branded batteries, NiMH models.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The H01Kxxxx are VHF models, they'll natively do down to 146MHz.

You'll likely be able to program these down to 144, but I don't recall the procedure for these. Batwing Laboratories can be a good source of info.

No need for any trickery. The MTS2000 only came in one full band split on VHF.

Radio is spec'd for 136-174MHz.

cmdrwill

Mike IS correct your VHF radio covers the ham band. And the MTS makes one fine ham radio.

Look for the 'ribless' DB9 cable. The software is designed for a real Serial Port.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's good to hear. Wasn't sure about the exact frequency limits.

I had a UHF model for a few years that I used on GMRS and 70cm. Really good radio. I have the programming software, RIB and cables at work, so it was an easy thing to setup/change as needed. For the model 1's, the limited display size can be a pain. The model 2's and 3's are a good score.

The accessories for these are plentiful and cheap on the used market. Cases, chargers, speaker mics, etc. are all easy to find.

Good job on landing a bunch of VHF models. Once you get the capability to program them, you'll be all set. Might be able to offer some to other hams, they might like to have them.

OldRaider76

Motorola MTS2000

Yes. That is what I had intended to do. We plan to program in all the repeaters around us and simplex 2M frequencies and give them to all our local hams to use for storm chasing and emergencies...or just to talk on. Of course, they would each need to buy a charger but those appear to be readily available and fairly inexpensive. I think I saw some new ones on EPay for around $22. Thanks.
John KE5GFJ

OldRaider76

MTS2000 FLASHPORT model programming

I took the MTS2000 HTs to my local radio shop to ask about getting them to program. He has the cable but said the version of software needed to program MTS2000 FLASHPORT models is different from plain MTS2000 models. He has the software for the regular MTS2000 but said it will not recognize or work on FLASHPORT versions. Anyone know what version of the software is needed for FLASPORT versions of the MTS2000 HTs? Thanks again for everyone's helpful replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I took the MTS2000 HTs to my local radio shop to ask about getting them to program. He has the cable but said the version of software needed to program MTS2000 FLASHPORT models is different from plain MTS2000 models.

Take it to another shop as the one you took it to has an idiot working for them.

All MTS2000 radios are Flashport radios and there is only one version of CPS to program them. If he can program an MTS2000, he can program yours.

I'm guessing he's confused between the MT2000 which is not a Flashport radio and the MTS2000 which is a Flashport radio.

Same cables and eventually, different CPS.

cmdrwill

I took the MTS2000 HTs to my local radio shop to ask about getting them to program. He has the cable but said the version of software needed to program MTS2000 FLASHPORT models is different from plain MTS2000 models. He has the software for the regular MTS2000 but said it will not recognize or work on FLASHPORT versions. Anyone know what version of the software is needed for FLASPORT versions of the MTS2000 HTs? Thanks again for everyone's helpful replies.

That "shop" qualifies for the /\/\ BOZO Award.. Or is it the DS Award!

Status
Not open for further replies.