Mult Co Sheriff & Gresham go encrypted

uncledenny48

Premium Subscriber
It appears that they finally went encrypted at Multnomah county sheriff. The channel marker is on all the time. It was bound to happen eventually I guess.

Baker845

You might not all think this, but its true. Thank the live scanner feeds for this. And this is how the future is going anyways. Law enforcement is no longer accountable, to the public. All those that say there doing it for officer safety need to move along. Sorry to all the scanner hobbyist, the scanner hobby slowly going away...

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Lots to listen to in spite of local options.

Yes, trunking or conventional has the free option of encryption, now that it's a simple thing such as a FW flash as opposed to a physical module (XTS, XTL) which is what Mult Co and Gresham were waiting to upgrade to newer APX.

Yes, broadcasting swat and tac operations online wasn't monitored well by feed providers but technology made encryption cheaper and taxpayers and agencies want options that make sense.

There is no case law to support free and clear receiving of radio signals and agencies can claim X and FB as public ways to inform the public.

Baker845

I noticed Mult Co. SO had the older APX models, but with flash upgrades they can have latest options like the new apx single band radio's. And yes, there is no case law on Public listening to Law agencies, but they forget who pays for them. But, i get it I'm not sad about it, life is to short to sit and cry about them switching to the E.

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber
We knew the hammer of "E" would fall on us at some point here in the East County. When PDX went encrypted, I wrote numerous letters with not one reply. I have been scanning since I was a kid, so I got many years of enjoyment. I feel bad for newbies that recently entered the hobby and can no longer have unlimited access to many now encrypted public service channels. Yes you can still have fun with Fire, Hospitals, EMT, and Air Bands, Etc. but the excitement of grabbing your scanner when you see cops fly code 3 and tuning in will be surely missed.

Last edited:

mikepdx

Bummer.

I've been scanning MCSO since they were on 155.61 & 154.83, and I was a teen.
Those were the days. All sorts of personal info transmitted back then.

Time for all of us to send Sheriff Nicole Morrisey O'Donnell a nasty-gram,
and let her know how we, her employers feel.
Let her know we're voting for anyone but her in the future.

Nothing like bowing down to her masters at the central government in Washington DC.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Sad day for listeners, but it seems to be the trend lately. What's interesting is that the demand locally by the public/voters for transparency and accountability over the last few years (particularly with regards to LE) hasn't slowed or impacted this very much.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Mostly laziness & lack of training/leadership..I'll use Washington County as an example, they had a system that would have continued to work without encryption, they had tac, tnt, wash a-b-c-d, wash b, comm tags, win, detective......they weren't encrypted, but none of these were on online scanner apps, yet they rarely switched to them when incidents/situations escalated, they continued on wcso 1&2. As stated as reasoning many times by folks, they blame the apps/online streams. As for legit scanners or software defined radios, I'd venture to say most criminals are to lazy, too doped to bother, I've bought scanners from such via Craigslist/fb market place over the years from these types, they were clueless to their use & capabilities.

This is the government removing the citizen equation, when **** hits the fan, they only want you to know what they want you to know, not the facts or the truth. Consider any major event, loss of power grid leads to loss of cellular, internet etc. Radio is the last thing to go (I've lived thru some major hurricanes) you going to trust what the government allows to be reported on radio station?

Amrron/ch3 and other nets will be somewhat reliable until government and their emergency management centers come around to receive hams if their equipment

uncledenny48

Premium Subscriber
We knew the hammer of "E" would fall on us at some point here in the East County. When PDX went encrypted, I wrote numerous letters with not one reply. I have been scanning since I was a kid, so I got many years of enjoyment. I feel bad for newbies that recently entered the hobby and can no longer have unlimited access to many now encrypted public service channels. Yes you can still have fun with Fire, Hospitals, EMT, and Air Bands, Etc. but the excitement of grabbing your scanner when you see cops fly code 3 and tuning in will be surely missed.
I agree, I too have been listening since the days of the crystal scanners, I have gotten used to Portland going Encrypted and never really listened to MCSO just due to the fact that I live in lower SE Portland. I am more interested in PF&R which still is not Encrypted and still dispatched by a human. Also I monitor OSP Portland. Maybe someday they will come up with a scanner that will un-encrypt ??? LOL.

TDR-94

Maybe someday they will come up with a scanner that will un-encrypt ??? LOL.
A scanner good never perform a "brute force" attack and find the correct encryption key. There is no "un-encrypt" without the key. The federal government would never allow such a mythical scanner to exist anyway.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
At the very least, I'd go with a state law that says that these agencies must provide a delayed online feed, and must lease (receive-only, with key) radios to news media at cost provided that they take care with what they hear.

mikepdx

I wonder what arrangements area encrypted agencies
have with local media to monitor them, if any.
Anyone know this?

Details of arrangements with private businesses
certainly should be public knowledge.
i.e. Supplying or renting a radio to them, etc.

Or will everything be spoon-fed to the media
with a pro-LE slant?

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I think it went away with enc. They or one could listen to fire dispatch to determine the location of a call associated with police which is probably what they're doing now. And they probably have a PIO to confirm faster than us

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Yep, my hunch is that a lot is falling on the shoulders of the PIOs, for better or worse.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
I wonder what arrangements area encrypted agencies
have with local media to monitor them, if any.
Anyone know this?

Details of arrangements with private businesses
certainly should be public knowledge.
i.e. Supplying or renting a radio to them, etc.

Or will everything be spoon-fed to the media
with a pro-LE slant?
What media there is basically is fine with just having some story to put out, just being able to fill their assignment.

We need citizen-owned news by giving tax credits (not just deductions) for donations/subscriptions to media that have a board chosen from subscribers. A good news media acts as a super auditor and keeps government accountable.

Also they could provide a real-time data feed of at least major incidents that police have arrived at (like Pulse Point).

CKScripts

Premium Subscriber
You might not all think this, but its true. Thank the live scanner feeds for this. And this is how the future is going anyways. Law enforcement is no longer accountable, to the public. All those that say there doing it for officer safety need to move along. Sorry to all the scanner hobbyist, the scanner hobby slowly going away...
Although this may be true in most cases, people will probably find a way around as not everything isn't gonna be foolproof. Although this has it's pros and cons, it's likely to happen at least a few times in general.