CHP to Trunking

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have been following you and have much respect for your knowledge. The fact that you're not certain about Northern California tells me as a relative newcomer I don't know any better.

I really haven't spent any time up in Northern California but I did look up California Highway 3 and see how it goes through the national forest. From what I know, low band is ideal for that environment because it bounces off of the mountain walls. The downside is high noise levels and when the skip is in it makes it very difficult for the dispatchers to maintain communications with their actual units. I can't imagine how many sites they would have to put in to cover that pass. I call it a pass but it looks like it's a hundred miles long.

It's a pretty stretch of highway. Some very deep canyons that I doubt VHF Low would be able to fully conquer. CHP also covers a lot of other roads that are not state highways. There some very small local roads up there that are way down deep in canyons along rivers that will be a challenge for anything.

Overall, Northern California seems to be a great challenge. I went to repeaterbook and tried to look up repeater sites and see that they have very few north of Sacramento. That also includes those on the Oregon side. I can't see how they're going to do 800 MHz trunking.

I think that's why they are using VHF at some of these CRIS sites.

But then again I really don't know what I'm talking about. It seems that Southern California as well as the Bay Area communities up north have it all worked out. My wife and I do a bit of traveling and listen to CHP for traffic reports. Once they go to a trunked encrypted system that'll be the end of that. What are newspapers and TV stations going to do?

I know when I watch the news on KTLA they show a map every morning where incidents are located. Will we see CHP give them a special radio and a pinky swear that what they hear they won't repeat? You know that if they hear it they're going to race to the scene of an incident.

Locally, the TV/Radio news traffic reports are verbatim reading off the above website.

There's certainly the option to arrange providing an RX only radio with encryption keys to credentialed media. Will be interesting to see if that happens or not.

I understand logistically how trunking is advantageous. Especially if one loops in Caltrans. That would mean that CHP could talk directly to Caltrans. In talking with some of the Big Bear CHP officers they tell me a couple of their cars actually have/had 800 MHz radios in them and can/could come up on either the San Bernardino County Sheriff's system or Caltrans directly. But those are the oddities.

All the CHP cars/SUV's/trucks have 800MHz radio in them. They have a stack of 4 Kenwood/EFJohnson radios that cover VHF Low, VHF High, UHF and 700/800MHz. In addition to the standard CHP stuff, they also load in local agencies for interoperability.

It would seem to me that rather than reinvent the wheel, CHP would lease space on existing government systems. It's my understanding that the California Department of Homeland Security has issued a dictate that any County that wants Federal money that's given directly to the states has to go encrypted.

I think you may be misunderstanding that. CalOES runs the state radio systems, including CHP.
US DHS (federal level) does do some grant funding, but they don't mandate encryption that I'm aware of. They do require that radios purchased with federal grant funds support P25 and be able to support AES256 encryption. Also, AES256 is the only encryption algorithm that meets the federal standards for encryption of PII/CJI.

Law enforcement does have some requirements to protect CJI/PII, and it must be protected. Doesn't mean that radio traffic have to be encrypted, just means that when that CJI/PII is transmitted over the radio, that it is encrypted.

That's a side issue and I know encryption isn't based on frequency. Will CHP partner with various Sheriff's departments regardless of what frequency they are on? That seems to make the most sense rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

The CHP has suitable radios to talk to local agencies. Not sure how often that happens, but they have the capability. I've filled out forms for our agency that provided the appropriate info for them to program their radios with our frequencies. The chief signed the memorandum of understanding that allows them to use our frequencies if needed.

CRIS has intersystem interface capability. In other words, the CRIS P25 cores can connect to other P25 cores and allow it to act like one large radio system. <— that is an oversimplified statement, but essentially what they can do. There's a lot of stuff that happens to make that work. Requires agreements between the state and local agencies/system operators.

Plus, a cellular interface. Or would they simply put remote receivers/repeaters on cellular towers?

The towers that cell carriers use are usually operated by one of the large tower companies. They charge a lot for access. The state would benefit from using their own towers (they have a lot) before leasing space.

It's a pretty stretch of highway. Some very deep canyons that I doubt VHF Low would be able to fully conquer. CHP also covers a lot of other roads that are not state highways. There some very small local roads up there that are way down deep in canyons along rivers that will be a challenge for anything.

Thank you for taking the time to explain to a newbie how it all works. The extra effort you put in is appreciated. You make things easy for me to understand and I appreciate that greatly. There are a few others that do the same thing and I appreciate them as well.

Although retired now, as a police officer I know that CHP has the same authority that I had as an LAPD officer. I know by listening to the Lake Arrowhead office that when the sheriff's department is short of units they've called in CHP for domestic violence calls in progress. I know the reverse is also true that when a CHP unit needs immediate backup they have dispatch call SO. I can appreciate that up north of San Francisco that they liaison with the local sheriff's departments rather tightly to back one another up. I've seen the pictures of the radio stacks in the trunks of the CHP units and I know that my initial thought was what a mess.

With respect to Highway 3 that of course is going to be hell trying to cover. You of course know more about it than I do so I'll stop rambling at this point. I'm learning a great deal.

As far as antennas, I think I'm going to try putting up a full wave square at the office oriented east/west so I can pick up San Bernardino north and south. That will also give me Riverside and Rancho. I can already pick up Temecula. But their experimenting on the San Bernardino County TRS just like San Diego and Imperial County units. It only makes sense. Why reinvent the wheel?

The measurements of the antenna are 5.9 ft squareish. I'll use a binding post / BNC connector to plug into the scanner. I think it'll probably work well on VHF high band and probably the TRS for County fire.

Thank you again for taking so much of your time for helping a newbie understand some of this.

mancow

Database Admin
I thought I recently read somewhere that CA was thinking of actually expanding their lowband system. Apparently this was untrue or something changed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know by listening to the Lake Arrowhead office that when the sheriff's department is short of units they've called in CHP for domestic violence calls in progress. I know the reverse is also true that when a CHP unit needs immediate backup they have dispatch call SO.

There's usually pretty good cooperation between agencies.

Thank you again for taking so much of your time for helping a newbie understand some of this.

I had a lot of people help me out when I was getting started in the hobby, and then working in the industry. I try to pay back into the system as much as I can.

Everything I have says they're going to be expanding the CRIS system. But as we have been talking about, there are going to be areas in the state that can't be covered by a TRS. They are either too remote or the area to be covered too diverse.

There are no conventional 800 MHz repeaters for the county in the mountains east of interstate 15. The ITAC/8TAC repeaters were removed long ago.

There are for caltrans. They have West end, Lake Arrowhead, Running Springs, Lake the covers the Arctic Circle, and then those into Big Bear that I can't hear anyway.

nd5y

Once they go to a trunked encrypted system that'll be the end of that. What are newspapers and TV stations going to do?
What did they do 100 years ago before radio (and social media)? Maybe learn how to do their jobs by themselves.
The UK and many other countries have totally encrypted public safety radio systems and they still have news.

techman210

There are for caltrans. They have West end, Lake Arrowhead, Running Springs, Lake the covers the Arctic Circle, and then those into Big Bear that I can't hear anyway.
That’s why I said “for the county”. There are no San Bernardino county conventional 800 MHz repeaters in this area.

I have been actively monitoring caltrans “arrowhead” repeater on Strawberry Peak for a long time and even during snow storms when they are usually very active, haven’t heard a thing. I suspect that are using their TRS.

What did they do 100 years ago before radio (and social media)? Maybe learn how to do their jobs by themselves.
The UK and many other countries have totally encrypted public safety radio systems and they still have news.

They had call boxes. They would dispatch calls at the high end of the am broadcast band and when you received a call you could go to a call box which contained a telephone directly to relay which would then forward it to the dispatcher. That was a very long time ago.

That’s why I said “for the county”. There are no San Bernardino county conventional 800 MHz repeaters in this area.

I have been actively monitoring caltrans “arrowhead” repeater on Strawberry Peak for a long time and even during snow storms when they are usually very active, haven’t heard a thing. I suspect that are using their TRS.

I'm not sure where you're listening because all along the Rim they have conventional repeaters. The topography of the Rim just does not allow for direct communications. They break it up. Like Lake Point for example which is at the 7,000 ft level where the Caltrans yard is located. That covers the Arctic Circle going into Big Bear. They are conventional repeaters. They are not on the TRS. The TRS is San Bernardino County. Caltrans is state.

Angelus Oaks (SR38 South)
Arrowhead/Running Springs
Dry Creek (Arrowbear)
Onyx (SR38 North/Big Bear)
Lake Point (Artic Circle)

Are we on the same topic?

scottyhetzel

I monitor CHP in Big Bear with a Discone that has a longer whip tuned to about 40MHz. Reception is ok but not great and I’m upgrading soon to an actual CHP WB mobile whip on the roof over some ground radials.

Thinking about the vastness of CA and the varying topography from deserts to mountains and long coastal areas blocked by mountains right up to the water I can’t imagine how complex and costly it would be to transition CHP to a trunking system that would adequately serve them. I agree CHP will have to be on VHF lo in some areas for a long time.
The Austin Spectra or the ferret...with a good ground plane....is the best for CHP and the other bands. At least on my vehicle. I would do a full wave whip like the CHP did in the old days. Especially if you had a dedicated Receiver for just low-band.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, CHP is moving to a trunked system sometime in the future. In San Diego County they're already experimenting with CHP utilizing the county system. At what point in time does one expect CHP to be trunked and sadly encrypted? I'm at a point of investing in an antenna and I don't want to waste my money if they're just going trunked and encrypted.

The same applies to LAPD and LASD and County Fire. It's my understanding that they also are going to trunked and encrypted. My questions are not about encryption. It is what it is. I was going to install a base antenna that covered both LAPD and LASD but if they're going trunked and encrypted again another waste of money.

Any idea on what kind of time frame to look forward to?
The El Cajon CHP Area did not go onto the County's RCS as an experiment.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I have two Austin Spectra’s and several A/S MON series and the A/S is better on VHF lo and the VHF/UHF bands I monitor. The Spectra is a little better at the high end of both VHF and UHF from what I remember like 165 and 512MHz.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
mmkenna said,

I think you may be misunderstanding that. CalOES runs the state radio systems, including CHP.
US DHS (federal level) does do some grant funding, but they don't mandate encryption that I'm aware of. They do require that radios purchased with federal grant funds support P25 and be able to support AES256 encryption. Also, AES256 is the only encryption algorithm that meets the federal standards for encryption of PII/CJI.

I don't think the federal government has dictated that state and local agencies encrypt PII/CJI traffic. However, somewhere in the federal government is a directive that all law enforcement radio systems of all federal agencies have digital systems with encryption full time. This includes the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, BLM . . . . . . I don't think a year of implementation was included. Agencies haven't even fully implemented the 2019 federal government wide allocation of the federal government VHF High band, so I don't expect that to be encrypted soon. As always, I can be proven wrong.

This has nothing to do with the CHP, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't think the federal government has dictated that state and local agencies encrypt PII/CJI traffic.

The FBI and USDOJ has said that any CJI/PII that passes through their networks must be protected at all times and in all forms. Since any interstate CJI passes through their systems, they can require that that info be protected. It's in their documents (I don't have the document/page/paragraph, but I've posted it elsewhere).

What states do with their own internal info is up to them, but the feds are very clear that if it passes through their federal systems, it must be encrypted.

They just haven't been good about enforcing it. Yet.