CHP to Trunking

nokones

Premium Subscriber
< I think you may be misunderstanding that. CalOES runs the state radio systems, including CHP.

What do you mean that OES runs the CHP systems? Do you mean that they (OES) oversees the everyday management of the system and decides how to meet the CHP Operational requirements?

That is totally far from being correct. The CHP has a large administrative staff that oversees and manages their own requirements.

A couple decades ago, the Department of General Services (DGS) was responsible for providing telecommunications engineering and technician services to the State Agencies. These Engineers and Technicians worked in the old Telecommunications Division.

Governor Schwarzenegger had a vision of consolidating several state agencies to reduce the size of State Government and he took the Telecommunications Division away from DGS and put them under the OES management and that included the State's Public Safety Microwave System. At one-time, there was a consideration that the Engineers and Technicians would be managed by the CHP.

The State's largest Agencies, such as the CHP, has their own communications management staffs. The small agencies do not have any communications management staff so they seek the services of the OES now.

The CHP staff decides what is best for their agency and dictate their communications needs to now, OES, and OES staff will engineer whatever they need to engineer to make the change, improvement, etc. The CHP works closely with OES and the CHP essentially tells OES what they need and OES just engineers and/or fixes and repairs.

In so far as CRIS goes, the OES engineering is overseeing the design and implementation of the new Statewide System and the CHP works right along side of OES. The CHP's part in this endeavor is to make sure that the CHP communications needs are met and provide whatever assistance and testing that the OES Engineers need. Its a partnership.

Back in the early 2000's the CHP was very vocal that the CHP Radio system sucked and went to Governor Schwarzenegger to ask for immediate help and that was how the CPVE program got started as an interim fix for the CHP and that got the CRIS ball rolling because the CHP wasn't the only agency with an out-dated radio system and radio inter-operability with everyone was the main buzz word in those days.

K6GBW

The reality is that Kenwood and Motorola don't want to even make VHF-Lo radios anymore. Aside from CHP and a very few others there just isn't much market for them. Couple that with the total PITA of the larger antennas, the cars electronics making them noisey and the requirement to be able to talk to local agencies the motivation is there to get off of low band. But, an organization the size of CHP can't just turn on a dime. It's gonna take time. The current plan to use CRIS, along with the ability to roll over to LTE seems like a good one. I know old radio heads hate the idea of PTT over LTE, but it's coming whether anyone likes it or not. I think CHP is going to be using a combination of CRIS, LTE, low band and probably some local or regional trunked systems for a long long time. From a budget standpoint it would be nice to consolidate down to one or two systems. As things are now, you pay $45,000 for the patrol vehicle and then another $40,000 for all the radios, MDC, Video, etc. It's to the point if you wipe out one of those cars it's over a hundred grand!

N6JPA

A Ham Radio Operator With too much frequency.
As I understand it, CHP is moving to a trunked system sometime in the future. In San Diego County they're already experimenting with CHP utilizing the county system. At what point in time does one expect CHP to be trunked and sadly encrypted? I'm at a point of investing in an antenna and I don't want to waste my money if they're just going trunked and encrypted.

The same applies to LAPD and LASD and County Fire. It's my understanding that they also are going to trunked and encrypted. My questions are not about encryption. It is what it is. I was going to install a base antenna that covered both LAPD and LASD but if they're going trunked and encrypted again another waste of money.

Any idea on what kind of time frame to look forward to?
They are Moving to the CRIS Type II Trunked system. In my area in San Luis Obispo County, CA the mobile units are encrypted while the dispatch is Unencrypted. You can look up the system in the RR database.

OrangePelican

Premium Subscriber
They are Moving to the CRIS Type II Trunked system. In my area in San Luis Obispo County, CA the mobile units are encrypted while the dispatch is Unencrypted. You can look up the system in the RR database.
Who are you hearing in SLO? CHP is not using CRIS in your area yet.

It’s still just the north sac area using it for now.

N6JPA

A Ham Radio Operator With too much frequency.
Yes, They are. The CHP in N. SLO County is already using it for N. of Templeton & N. of Cambria. They have to put in systems in SLO county to cover central & South. Then they will put in a system to cover SB county to cover North of Broadcast peak.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Yes, They are. The CHP in N. SLO County is already using it for N. of Templeton & N. of Cambria. They have to put in systems in SLO county to cover central & South. Then they will put in a system to cover SB county to cover North of Broadcast peak.
Are you referring to the Broadcast Peak, which I thought was called TV Site, that over looks the Cuesta Grade and across from Mt. Lowe? Or is there a Broadcast Peak near Santa Maria?

OrangePelican

Premium Subscriber

Where are you getting that info?

You mentioned the database but there is nothing in there about any of the chp areas you referenced using CRIS.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yes, "Type II" is eol from Motorola, but is still supported by another company. Just added info. (That other company is more well known for stereo equipment... But yes it is not completely dead yet.) But yes, Motorola only puts out DMR (MotoTRBO) and P25 systems for trunking. The CRIS is an P25 Phase II system.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Broadcast Peak in Santa Barbara County is the sister peak to Santa Ynez. CalTopo - Backcountry Mapping Evolved

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yes, "Type II" is eol from Motorola, but is still supported by another company. Just added info. (That other company is more well known for stereo equipment... But yes it is not completely dead yet.) But yes, Motorola only puts out DMR (MotoTRBO) and P25 systems for trunking. The CRIS is an P25 Phase II system.
Define support. If your system core ****s the bed, who's going to support it and repair it?

You're splitting hairs over nothing bud.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Yes, "Type II" is eol from Motorola, but is still supported by another company. Just added info. (That other company is more well known for stereo equipment... But yes it is not completely dead yet.) ...
Which company/radio is that?