WS1065: multiple talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am wondering if i should have all talk groups for a system under the same quick key or should i program separate systems and talk groups for each...seems to me all under 1 so the scanner doesn't have to scan the same frequencies over and over for each service any ideas or thoughts?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ideally, you should not scan a specific site more than once. You can, instead, separate the talkgroups into categories, such as PD, Fire, EMS, or any other combination. Scanning a site requires a certain amount of for the scanner to receive & decode the control data, then check for active, programmed, talkgroups. Each time it has to change systems, it adds more time, even though the same site is in use. While you can use the same site repeatedly for various combinations of departments (groups on the non-database scanners), it will slow your scanning speed, possibly causing you to miss calls as the scanner works through the sites that are used repeatedly.

i have a Whistler 1065 that i tried that on... i kept giving me an error when ever i tried to turn "groups" on and off...maybe i did something wrong.
im using win500..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i have a Whistler 1065 that i tried that on... i kept giving me an error when ever i tried to turn "groups" on and off...maybe i did something wrong.
im using win500..
OK, on the Whistler scanners, you have scanlists, not groups or departments as on a Uniden scanner.

For your trunked system, you can simply use different scanlists for categories. Enter the site/system information only once. But, when adding talkgroups, you can use Scanlist 1 for PD, list 2 for Fire, or whatever combination you want. The scanner will get to the system & check for activity. But you will only hear active talkgroups that are on a scanlist that is enabled. Those talkgroups have to be entered with the system's information, so that they are associated with the system, bit only the ones on an active scanlist will actually be heard.

marksmith

Just a clarification.

If you are scanning a system, you are not scanning lots of channels or frequencies. The scanner is sitting on the control channel frequency only, monitoring traffic on the system until a talk group you wanted to hear becomes active. And then it switches to the voice channel frequency of that talk group.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I find it more useful to create a System and program all the TGs in separate groups as mentioned but, I also created separate Systems isolating the PD of a city in that system only and FD in another ... I can then hold on a System if it has just important action to monitor without the scanner getting bogged down on unimportant stuff and works great....

how i am doing it is ive set up a site for PD and a site for fire and EMS both "scanning" the same set of frequencies for each...
so lets just say the CC is 800.000, its programed under 2 quick keys 1 and 2 PD and fire....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
how i am doing it is ive set up a site for PD and a site for fire and EMS both "scanning" the same set of frequencies for each...
so lets just say the CC is 800.000, its programed under 2 quick keys 1 and 2 PD and fire....
Please be clear which scanner you are referring to. Earlier, when I responded to your first post, you said you were using a WS1065. That model does not have quick keys. You can turn scan lists on or off, but there are no groups in a GRE/Whistler object oriented scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i was calling scan list quick keys because you can press the 1 2 3 keys......sorry i wasn't more specific...i am using 1065's....
Right, scanlists in the Whistler scanners can, to some extent, mimic the use of quick keys on a Uniden scanner.

Part of the confusion is that you are asking questions regarding a Whistler scanner in the Uniden tech support forum.

Swipesy

Lets see if we can get you flying right.

Assumption 1 - You want to scan Cuyahoga County Communities
Assumption 2 - If Assumption 1 is correct you need to program the GCRCN System, program the MARCS System (use only Cuyahoga Towers) and program Parma P25 System.
Assumption 3 - Under each system program the Talkgroups for that system you want to listen to
Assumption 4 - You have 20 Scanlists. Name them for the groups you want, i.e Clev Police, Clev Fire, Lakewood Police, Lakewood fire. Or All Police, All Fire or whatever your desire.
Assumption 5 - Go to each System programmed in #2 above and assign each Talkgroup in each system to your Scanlists created in #4. Remember, some communities like Euclid, Cleveland Heights use one system for police and a different system for fire. The Scanlists don't care what system their Talkgroups come from. You can mix systems in one Scanlist

Once you get this setup you can tinker with other options such as Favorite Lists, priorities etc. or change your Scanlist grouping. Now you can control what scanlist you want to listen to from the scanner key pad by pressing the number keys.

yes..i would like to program each talk group under a separate "quick key"or scanlist so i can turn on or off as needed...but do need to program the frequencies for each "system"(gcrcn,ohio marcs) for each scanlist or quick key....i have both incase you were wondering...

Swipesy

You are confusing Systems and Scanlists. You must program 3 Systems with their respective Control and Alternate frequencies (not voice freq). With GCRCN it is simulcast so program all control and alt freq. With MARCS only program the Control and Alt freq for the towers you will be listening too. Keep in mind that some, but not all Talkgroups are carried on several towers. With Parma it is a Harris system and is best if you program all Cuyahoga county frequencies (don't need Medina or Ottawa if you are not going to listen to them).

After you get each system setup program the Talkgroups you want to hear for each system. Do not repeat creating the same system more than once.

Then point the Talkgroups to your Scanlist. For example you can point TG's from each of the 3 systems to Scanlist 1.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have done in the past with a PRO197 and PRO106 the System goes in 3 times and you could turn on and off Districts easy.
1 TACN District 4 Memphis
2 TACN District 8 Jackson
3 TACN All Agencies

ive got it figured out...thanks what i did was download and program everything into scanlist 1 then went back and put each set of talk groups into their own scan list....PD, Fire, ect...

Status
Not open for further replies.