Music on the Rail band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I dont hear it on the stream, and didnt hear it when I was in Omaha this morning.

Prolly just somebody being an idiot.

timkilbride

Database Admin
What is with the sound of Music in the background on the Railroad Radio band? The Stream is in Omaha and I even get it on my own home Radio. Any thoughts?

I know some guys listen to radios while at work( on the RR). The guys I have seen listening to music have had headphones. I suppose there are guys who bring a am/fm battery operated radio and put it on the control stand and don't wear headphones. Myself, I listen to Sirius radio with headphones. I have offered to plug in to FM transmitter so the engineer could listen too, we must have a different taste in music. lol

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I know some guys listen to radios while at work( on the RR). The guys I have seen listening to music have had headphones. I suppose there are guys who bring a am/fm battery operated radio and put it on the control stand and don't wear headphones. Myself, I listen to Sirius radio with headphones. I have offered to plug in to FM transmitter so the engineer could listen too, we must have a different taste in music. lol

*DISCLAIMER* = Tim works for a Class II railroad, He is allowed to do such things. For any New Class I Employees, this will cause you to have a very short career.

gcgrotz

There are some broadcast remote pickup frequencies around 160, maybe you are hearing one of them. Typically, they are wideband 30 KHZ signals so they would be distorted on a scanner without WFM. Just a guess.

yaesu_dave

The UP car men in Ogden, UT used to be on 161.190, and many times I would hear music on that frequency. I'm not sure if it was intentional or if it was caused by a headset radio interfering with the car men's RR radio.

David

tcb4ep

railroad town

hey i live in wagoner oklahoma, which handles the trains running coal north and empties south. my distance is about 5 miles from the tracks which there are 2 sets and i can not pick up anything.i'm using a uniden bct8 tracker 3. with a fiberglass antenna mounted outside at 15 feet..
any suggestions??

K4DHR

There may just be very little radio traffic. I'm guessing you're in UP territory, where calling signals seems to be optional, so unless you're picking up on something doing some switching or some train to dispatcher traffic, it is possible you may not hear very much. If the line is not signaled at all, the traffic will be even more limited. There are a few lines in my neck of the woods where you don't hear much unless a crew is doing some work nearby, as they run on track warrants (ie., no signals or ABS territory) and there isn't much chatter unless the dispatcher is handing out a warrant.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I'm guessing you're in UP territory, where calling signals seems to be optional

Wish you would tell my manager that!

And no it is not optional on the UP.

As far as interference from mechanical departments "headphones" They must not like their job very much. If they got caught with them, they would be gone.

And anway there isnt really any way for tht to happen.

What was heard was probably just a smart ass on the radio. People do it all the time.

tcb4ep

thanks ./.

yeah it must my location on the tracks,.. there isnt much in this part of no mans land.. tho in the 1900s this town was a train hub.. i use to live in salisbury north carolina, the round house at the depot was so cool..
i would have to tell any train buff to visit that musuem..

I've heard people playing ringtones from there cell phones through the radio i heard a beavis and butthead ringtone one time It was weird because i didnt know where it was coming from and i sure as heck didnt expect to be coming from the scanner lolz

Sporadic E enthusiast
I heard someone the other day doing the telephone busy signal over the radio. My guess is they tried to call the dispatcher and the dispatcher would not answer the phone so they keyed up the radio and let them know how they felt about the situation. This went on for 10 minutes or so.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I heard someone the other day doing the telephone busy signal over the radio. My guess is they tried to call the dispatcher and the dispatcher would not answer the phone so they keyed up the radio and let them know how they felt about the situation. This went on for 10 minutes or so.

Had some idiot today simply hold down a DTMF button cause he was pissed I was getting out in front of him...

Then he played music and other sound effects the rest of the trip home.

Kinda annoying after awhile...

Once upon a time at BNSF Hobson Yard in Lincoln, Too Live Crew's Me Soo Hor%#y, would pop up just about every night, and other obnoxious noise such as belching, farting, police sirens. You would also hear kids playing cops-n-robbers as well.

BNSF Telecomm staff were searching for the transmissions near and in Lincoln Yard nightly with a van full of radio equipment.

Telecomm finally caught up with the source of the transmissions, after investigting the matter, Telecomm found out the conductor had a few portables lying around from the past, and his and the neighbor kids were playing with them.

Allan_Love_Jr

Me so horny.

Once upon a time at BNSF Hobson Yard in Lincoln, Too Live Crew's Me Soo Hor%#y, would pop up just about every night, and other obnoxious noise such as belching, farting, police sirens. You would also hear kids playing cops-n-robbers as well.

BNSF Telecomm staff were searching for the transmissions near and in Lincoln Yard nightly with a van full of radio equipment.

Telecomm finally caught up with the source of the transmissions, after investigting the matter, Telecomm found out the conductor had a few portables lying around from the past, and his and the neighbor kids were playing with them.
Someone must have been that Horny to be playing Two Live Crew over the Radio :D
Two Live Crew - Oh me so Horny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0oALRL7uyY

btritch

Every Once In Awhile..

Every Now and again I'll hear what sounds like a phone being dialed followed by a long pause tone, Is this a train calling the dispatcher, I always wondered what it was..

Also, When a train or the dispatcher keys up the CTCSS tone tends to just roll from one to another...Then when you "lock one in" it seems to just pick up the part of the conversation when that code rolls around....Is this because it's CSQ and this is a false report on the actual tone.?

Status
Not open for further replies.