My Mobile and Home Shacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
The installation in your car is interesting. Why not clean up the installation by using mobile scanners? I would find the installation you have made very distracting and therefore unsafe. I strive to keep all my radios in the same place where I can look forward. Otherwise you have to look sideways and go from one view to the other to see what is going on. The price of the new scanners is a small investment considering what an accident would cost.

I'm considering moving the 996XT and one of the 15s into the car. For now, though, the handhelds work fine. And because I'm using location-based scanning, I never have to look down at them because the groups and systems turn on and off as I drive along. Perfectly safe.

R

VE7CFF

I am running a Kenwood TM V7A my Jeep Grand Cherokee, as well as a BC346T for Greater Vancouver Fire. I will be building the Altloids unit to use in my Jeep YJ

pathalogical

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
Did you tap power in the car? How so? I just ordered a mobile for my 06 Sebring, the battery itself is hidden, didn't know if you went to it,or a block.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
Did you tap power in the car? How so? I just ordered a mobile for my 06 Sebring, the battery itself is hidden, didn't know if you went to it,or a block.

No, everything went through the 12v outlet in the dash. I had 12v splitters plugged into splitters, but as I never exceeded 20 amps it handled it all. I'm having trouble redoing all of this in my new 2012 Ford Escape, though. As soon as I plug the dashcam into a splitter (nothing else connected) the Escape's 20 amp fuse blows. If I plug it straight into the 12v outlet then it works. So now I'm looking at installing an outlet just for the dashcam.

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
No, everything went through the 12v outlet in the dash. I had 12v splitters plugged into splitters, but as I never exceeded 20 amps it handled it all. I'm having trouble redoing all of this in my new 2012 Ford Escape, though. As soon as I plug the dashcam into a splitter (nothing else connected) the Escape's 20 amp fuse blows. If I plug it straight into the 12v outlet then it works. So now I'm looking at installing an outlet just for the dashcam.

You're no help. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.