My Mobile setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9LDB

Well this is it, its been done for around a year and I think it turned out well. You might see the K-Band radar, well, lets say that this is how boring it gets in my town, its fun to see what speed everyone is doing and making radar detectors go off. I'm not a whacker, thats the extent of my police crap, no fancy lights! lol, lets just call it a novelty item, its fun to screw with. Oh yeah the PA300 is being tested, i believe it might be fixed, nothing worked on it. Works fine now.
So the set up goes as follows, CDM 1550 LS UHF remote mount with a maxrad UHF on the trunk. My kenwood 2-meter HT on the vhf maxrad, and a MTS2000 UHF and MT2000 800MHz, I didn't picture the kenwood and MTS2000 portables obviously.
Car is a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4-door 2.4L Twin cam. Love the thing learned to drive on it 5 years ago things got 150800 miles on it, no major repairs ever.

Last edited:

KC9LDB

Why didn't you mount the radio/radar other than on the dash? just curious

Well, the problem is that i have an Alero, so everything is like plastic and not too tough to support anything, and its easier to concentrate on the road if everything is on the dash, you don't need to look down at something

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
what the hell is a woo woo?

whacker-1.gif
whacker-1.gif
whacker-1.gif
whacker-1.gif

strobe2.gif
strobe2.gif
strobe2.gif
strobe2.gif

OTA-K

...see the K-Band radar, well, lets say that this is how boring it gets in my town, its fun to see what speed everyone is doing and making radar detectors go off.

Kind of puts your Amateur radio license in jeapordy, don't you think ??
AFAIK, you can't just turn on the radar ( transmitter) w/o being licensed on that band..Exceptions being if u are using it while an Officer in a P.D., or using it in accordance with the few exemptions listed in pt 90....

As a licensed Ham, u should probably know better....

SAR923

I'm not a whacker, thats the extent of my police crap, no fancy lights!

Really? Some reason you've got that Federal siren/PA unit on the side of the console...held on with what looks like cable ties? Most jurisdictions really can't take a joke about a guy with radar and a siren mounted in a non-emergency vehicle.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
K-Band radar shouldn't matter, ive never heard of the FCC getting freaked about a radar, 24.050 to 24.250GHz? dude thats high for them to complain about anyway. If they want to pull me over in a FCC mobile thats fine with me,

So you agree it is probably against the law to use the radar, but you do it anyway?

If I gave a homeless person $10k for permission to kill him after he spent it all on drugs, do you think that is ok because no one would care or complain?

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
lol, as I said the PA300 is already out, I was testing it, K-Band radar shouldn't matter, ive never heard of the FCC getting freaked about a radar, 24.050 to 24.250GHz? dude thats high for them to complain about anyway. If they want to pull me over in a FCC mobile thats fine with me, I'd think they would be too busy with unlicensed truckers with 100W kickers under the seat. That is something to worry about. And no Grog no woo woo's lol, id never pull that.

I dont think you have to worry about the FCC pulling you over. However, in most states, Sirens are illegal unless you have a reason to have them, ie firefighters, police officer, doctor etc...

The Radar is ILLEGAL too! You must go through the proper training to be able to operate it and use it. That is why not every police car has radar in it.

I think you stand more of a chance of getting pulled over by the police department, and if you do, you will be given a very hard time for the radar and probably have it confiscated. Its illegal, and if you are a ham radio operator, it is people like you that are giving us ham radio operators that do do things by the law a very bad name.

Take the radar and the siren out(you already stated that you took the siren out) and any lights other than amber and clear.

hoser147

Just a few questions on the Radar issue? Why is it illegal? You see them on private roads, in Ball parks, the county fair, where they pitch balls. Ive seen boxes of them for sale at state surplus auctions and oh ya Ebay. The DOT uses them for traffic studies also. Im aware that a Police officer has to be certified to use them for traffic enforcement, around here you would have to look hard to find a patrol car that doesn't have one in it. And last but not least is there a site or forum that covers this?? BTW nice collection of stuff in the car........... Hoser

CCHLLM

I'm probably gonna regret involving myself in this thread but.....

Installation? Shoulda used the cable ties on those unruly cables and their layout, not to mention the questionable and potentially dangerous dashtop "mounting" method. Did you wire it all up to a 16 ga wire stuck in the fuse panel? That's not an installation....it's a "throw-in". Clean it up, properly anchor those gizmos, and get affiliated with something that might let you have a toy or two legitimately and you'll get respect, not a trashing.

All the LE equipment in the possession of a non-LE affiliated person, coupled with an apparent complete disregard for following FCC rules? Can you say, "whacker"? As presented, you come across as the very kind of jerk-off wannabe that gives a bad name to legitimate ham radio operators and scannistas.......or you're a troll.

Oh, boy. I know I'm gonna regret this post.......for more reasons than just the fact that when I was your age, I did some of the same things, and yes, was rightfully trashed for it. Can't say I had a radar, and I really was a member of a volly FD, but the siren and other unauthorized crap....yeah. But I had a mentor in the department that steered me along the road to recovery, and today I'm just a radio junkie with no whacker stuff in the vehicles or home......OK, no whacker stuff beyond the radios, and yes, they are now legitimate, but there was a day in the past when........ Never mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.