• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My new GMRS antenna

cistercian

I put up my gmrs antenna today. A friend gave it to me for free. It is a 3DBD gain Laird that is perfect for 462 Mhz. Great match
on my AA-600 rigexpert. It is not made for 467mhz and has 1.9 to 1 there. Even so reception is much better than I had with my
Comet GP3 ham antenna which has 5.1DBD at 440mhz...and is fed via 100 feet of LMR400. The new antenna is lower and mounted right on
the roof on a drain vent. Feedline is 20 ft of LMR600 equivalent...the cheapest I could find. Unlike the other antenna I am using a N type bulkhead fully a foot long to get thru the wall. Holy cow does it hear well now! (Laird FG-4503) I am using the comet mount I saved from
when I installed my GP3.)
I don't have a "base" radio. I am just using a Wouxun KG-905G. It has a very good receiver. I am set for excellent local coverage!

The antenna has a clear view of the horizon. I am amazed at how well it works.

Last edited:

ENGINEERCARL1

I put up my gmrs antenna today. A friend gave it to me for free. It is a 3DBD gain Laird that is perfect for 462 Mhz. Great match
on my AA-600 rigexpert. It is not made for 467mhz and has 1.9 to 1 there. Even so reception is much better than I had with my
Comet GP3 ham antenna which has 5.1DBD at 440mhz...and is fed via 100 feet of LMR400. The new antenna is lower and mounted right on
the roof on a drain vent. Feedline is 20 ft of LMR600 equivalent...the cheapest I could find. Unlike the other antenna I am using a N type bulkhead fully a foot long to get thru the wall. Holy cow does it hear well now! (Laird FG-4503) I am using the comet mount I saved from
when I installed my GP3.)
I don't have a "base" radio. I am just using a Wouxun KG-905G. It has a very good receiver. I am set for excellent local coverage!

The antenna has a clear view of the horizon. I am amazed at how well it works.
Laird is a solid antenna. I've run them on NMO mounts for decades...back when they were straight Larsen.

If it's perfect at 462 and a little high at 467, then the antenna is a smidge long. With a VNA or a good SWR meter, you could ease that thing into resonance at 464.5 and have the same SWR for TX and RX on repeaters and simplex.

EC

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Laird is a solid antenna. I've run them on NMO mounts for decades...back when they were straight Larsen.

If it's perfect at 462 and a little high at 467, then the antenna is a smidge long. With a VNA or a good SWR meter, you could ease that thing into resonance at 464.5 and have the same SWR for TX and RX on repeaters and simplex.

EC
Larsen has been affiliated with Radiall and Pulse, I don't think they were ever associated with Laird. Laird and Antenex merged at some point and are also listed with TE connectivity.

cistercian

EC
It is glued shut! I intended to adjust it but whatever stuff they used is white and no joy at all! It's a base model 44 inches tall in a UV
resistant radome. It exudes quality. I don't want to put a bigger antenna up where it is so the windload on the vent is kept nice and low.
It is made for 450 to 460 mhz but has better swr @ 462.550 than any where in it rated frequency.
I am listening right now and on local in the city traffic it is amazing. The GP3 is better at hearing very distant repeaters...but only marginally so on a few. It's nearly twice as high though.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It is glued shut! I intended to adjust it but whatever stuff they used is white and no joy at all! It's a base model 44 inches tall in a UV
resistant radome. It exudes quality. I don't want to put a bigger antenna up where it is so the windload on the vent is kept nice and low.
It is made for 450 to 460 mhz but has better swr @ 462.550 than any where in it rated frequency.
I am listening right now and on local in the city traffic it is amazing. The GP3 is better at hearing very distant repeaters...but only marginally so on a few. It's nearly twice as high though.

You can't tune those.

If it's made for 450-460, then it's probably tuned closer to 455MHz, which is common for LMR use. If it's giving you low SWR at 462, that's a good sign, but it is not surprising that the SWR is starting to swing up by 467MHz.

You can get these antennas that are designed for 460-470MHz, which would give you lower SWR on GMRS.

But don't get hung up on it. 1.9:1 isn't going to hurt your radio.

cistercian

I used a loss coax loss calculator I found online Coax Loss Calculator | KV5R.COM

With 100 ft of LMR 400 power loss was 48% @ 465mhz. Power loss through 20 feet of LMR 600 is 7%.
With the difference in gain of the antennas factored in the new install has a trivial .6DB advantage.
But the difference in practice is epic. I am sure the antenna pattern differences account for the change.

cistercian

You can't tune those.

If it's made for 450-460, then it's probably tuned closer to 455MHz, which is common for LMR use. If it's giving you low SWR at 462, that's a good sign, but it is not surprising that the SWR is starting to swing up by 467MHz.

You can get these antennas that are designed for 460-470MHz, which would give you lower SWR on GMRS.

Yep. They are expensive and this one cost zero dollars. Bang for the buck is epic.

cistercian

You can't tune those.

The stock antenna tests at a hair over 2 to 1 so I don't care too much.
The Nagoya 771G is incredibly good and a serious upgrade. Better than 1.2 to one worst case. It is, by far, the best rubber duck type
antenna my AA-600 has ever met. Highly recommended!